Looking at weapon lights - Ruger Sr40c

I have been keeping a flashlight next to my bed where I could try to grab it. Been thinking lately, and will be much better off with a mounted weapon light. I know (been searching and reading older posts) that several members here do not like a mounted light for a few reasons, but it is convenient vs having to search/remember to grab a stand alone light.

Right now I am looking at the Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-3, and TLR-4 (light/laser combo). From LA Police Gear these are $99, $72 and $115 respectively. Primary weapon will be my Ruger Sr40c but I am not sure if the TLR-1 will be too big - I know it is longer than the TLR-3 but I cannot find a good pic to compare the two lights. I did find a pic of the Ruger Sr9c with the TLR-3 and it does stick out past the muzzle a bit, which is a feature I am looking for.

For the price, I would not mind spending the extra $15 to get the laser combo if this is a decent laser. This has a 640-660nm red laser, which is in the same range as Crimson Trace lasers - I have owned/used a couple CT lasers and do not remember the exact output but a few were almost invisible during the day.

I am also thinking about grabbing a couple of http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-l2-flashlight.html or http://www.lapolicegear.com/st-88040-protac-hl.html, and finding a rail mount so I could place one of these on my AR. But the primary purpose would be hand carry light.

Does anyone have a recommendation one way or the other for the TLR-x series and why in detail? I know the TLr-1 uses 2 batteries which could be a pro or con depending on how you want to look at things. Does anyone have a Ruger Sr9/40c or similar sized pistol with experience with any of the above lights? Any experience with the laser, is it daylight visible out to say 20 yards? Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Surefire crew will come in soon enough, but I'll just say that I have a TLR1 on a Glock 19 and really like it.  I carry it most days and it carries well (helps to have a good holster).  I also have one on an AR.  Sometimes at night I'll step outside and shine it into the woods to see if I can light up the deer.  That thing is bright.  For everyday carry and home defense it is a solid choice.  Surefire x300s are the crem de la crem, and I've seen them new for as low as $150 I think, but you won't be disappointed in a TLR1.  I don't know anything about the laser though.

• Moderators

Surefire X300 Ultra

You could give me two Streamlights and I would sell them both to fund an X300 Ultra. I compared my Surefire to a buddy's TLR-1. The difference was astounding. The Streamlight will get the job done, the Surefire will excel at the job and ask for (and deserve) a promotion. I know it is a few more $, but save a little bit more for another few weeks and go for it.

I may end up getting a Surefire, would take me a couple more weeks and would only be getting it instead of an additional light/mount for the AR or hand carry. 

Right now with where I live I do not need to worry about visibility outside very far (street lamps and close neighbors) and my house is not very large. That is part of why I feel the Streamlight model will fill my needs - I don't need to see hundreds of feet and 300 or 500 lumens will both disorient. 

ETA - the TLR-1 seems to have a better flood pattern which better suits my needs in a close quarter home situation.

The TLR-4 is out of consideration. I dug a bit deeper on Google and there are a lot of complaints about it being a low powered laser, only useful in low light (although the flashlight wouldn't be much use either during the day). 

Edited by jonathon1289

In the interest of being as frugal as possible and if Surefire really is soo much better, what about getting a Surefire handheld light and then finding a separate mount to use? 

For example, I can get this http://www.eaglevalleyoutfitters.com/surefire/surefire-fury-defender-13859 for $120 and then get a mount for (Troy VTAC or other) in the $25 range. This would allow for an offset light mounted on the pistol.

I have a TLR-3 and love the darn thing. Is it plenty bright, doesn't stick out too far and has a lifetime warranty.

Only issue I have is that I had to look at a couple stores to find batteries for it as it uses CR2 batteries which are less common than CR123's.

Amazon has the TLr-1s for $93. Even with tax that is the best price I have seen and I think it is worth trying since it seems to fit my needs. I may save up and get a Surefire for my AR.
Not sure yet, still comparing but leaning towards the TLR-1s.
  • Moderators
[quote name="jonathon1289" post="1126624" timestamp="1395183741"]Amazon has the TLr-1s for $93. Even with tax that is the best price I have seen and I think it is worth trying since it seems to fit my needs. I may save up and get a Surefire for my AR. Not sure yet, still comparing but leaning towards the TLR-1s.[/quote] You'll be happy with it. But when you upgrade to the Surefire, you will be happier. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have ran a TLR-1 on my duty pistol for the past 3 years and love it. I run a TLR-1hl on one of my rifles and love it as well for CQB. However recently switched to a Surefire M600 scout ultra on my duty rifle. It gives me a little extra range that the pistol lights don't. However for pistols I will stick with Streamlight mainly because I have a lot of custom bolsters made for that specific light. Forgot to mention I run a TLR-3 on my EDC and it's ok but I prefer the TLR-1 for most pistols. I do think the TLR-3 weight is nice but I struggle to reach the activators where I can reach the TLR-1 fine. I wish they could get the TLR-3 to sit back closer to the trigger guard. Edited by cch2a
I ordered the TLR-1s from Amazon. If I don't like it for some reason its a simple return. But I think I will be plenty satisfied with the light output.

I do plan to save up and get a "better" light for my AR. Hopefully in a year or so I will be moved back out to the country where an extended beam on a rifle could be useful.
The TRL-1s showed up today, and it doesn't fit. I kind of thought there may be an issue since this is a compact pistol but I read some articles saying it would fit. The key would not come close to the slot in the rail to lock the light in.

Would have the same issue with the Surefire x300 so I have decided that if I want a light on my bedside pistol it will have to be a TRL-3. I setup a return with Amazon and ordered the TRL-3.

It is half the output but will see how it looks. The TRL-1s was very bright and more than enough for my needs.
I ended up with the TLR-3 on my pistol. It fits great and even at only 125 lumens it is bright enough for my house, and even a bit disorienting.
I would rather have the higher output of the TLR-1 or the Surefire but since neither will fit this seems like the best option.

Wish I trusted my 9mm enough to use it for a bedside gun, the TLR-1 would have fit it great.

You guys make a good point.   Its got to be on either your head, or the gun.   Can't say I'd be interested in having it on my gun at all times, nor would I take the time to hook it up if needed, so I'll probably go with more of a head-mounted light myself.