Opinions on Winchester WST powder..................

Guest BCR#1

Guest BCR#1

Do any of you guys use it ? Were your results satisfactory? Your thoughts compared to AA#5 and 231?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by BCR#1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them all the time. Dunno why, but I seem to go to AA5 and AA2 for my 9/40 stuff, and Win/Hodgdon for my 38/357 and 44 stuff. I've used all the brands across each caliber I load and all have been fine... only one I had any hint of trouble with was Ramshot Zip, but I just bumped my charge up and everything was fine.

One benefit of the AA powders are that they are very fine, so small charges are more consistent than with the larger 231 particles. I think that's really why I've settled in them for 9/40. When I'm dropping 10-16 grains of something in a magnum case, particle size is pretty much a non-issue.

These days, be open to trying anything. What you want may not be available, so be flexible and buy whatever you can get that will work!
Oh dang. I'm a dummy... I'm half awake/half napping and didn't read the title properly... you're asking specifically about Winchester Super Target, aren't you? Geez... I should just go to sleep and stay out of it!

Anywho, I guess I'll take a stab at what you're ACTUALLY talking about! Ha! WST was actually the very first powder I ever bought and loaded with. 40 cal is the only thing I've ever used it in, and it's been fine. I've since moved to other powders that were better suited to use across a few handgun calibers, but if things were tight and it was the only thing I had on hand for a certain load, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I've just found other powders that were more economical or gave better velocities in the applications I used it for.

What loads were you thinking of using WST for?

BTW, thanks for bring this up! I've been trying to use up my partial cans of powder that I've kinda moved on from so I can free up some space in my reloading shelves. I just went through the back of one shelf and found about 1/4lb of WST. Oughtta be able to knock out 300-400 rounds of 40 with that! :-)