Things to do in Tampa?

[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1130103" timestamp="1395839022"]mmmm smoked mullet.[/quote] Yes, I'll add that to the list of things to do in Tampa. Smoked mullet and boiled peanuts bought at a roadside stand is a must do while there. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

For, eh hem, adult entertainment... Joe Redner has you covered at mons venus.

funny thing, a buddy of mine i was talking to who knows the area a little mentioned this place as well. I'm not ruling anything out... :cheers:

This thread has got me all pumped up now. I am going to be in Tampa for a few days in mid-May. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be my first visit there. I'm really looking forward to it! I cant wait to smell that sweet salt water air! Nothing like being by the ocean IMO. 

This will be my first visit there. I'm really looking forward to it! I cant wait to smell that sweet salt water air! Nothing like being by the ocean IMO. 

Unfortunately, the Bay does not smell as nice as the Gulf.  : )  Low tide stinks.

Edited by sigmtnman

Ha, been a loooong time since I've done Weeki Wachee and Buccaneer Bay. Plan on taking the kids there when they're a little older. I used to canoe the Weeki Watchee as a kid. Looked like you could reach in your hand and scoop out mullet as they swam by. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We would canoe the Withlacoochee. 

Ask around who has the best deviled crabs and try them out.  There used to be a place called the Sea Breeze on the Causeway and they had the best in town but the Port authority took their land through eminent domain and they closed...

• Like 1

Ask around who has the best deviled crabs and try them out.  There used to be a place called the Sea Breeze on the Causeway and they had the best in town but the Port authority took their land through eminent domain and they closed...

will do!

I'm also going to try to make a trip out to Clearwater beach while im there. Also the one TMF suggested, Sand Key i think was the name of it

will do!

I'm also going to try to make a trip out to Clearwater beach while im there. Also the one TMF suggested, Sand Key i think was the name of it

Clearwater beach has changed a lot over the years, it's pretty nice but can be pretty busy and is usually congested.  We used to play night volleyball down there and cruise the strip after drag racing at gandy.

Nothing compares to the beaches in Bradenton or Sarasota though that is probably too far of a drive.  Coquina beach is real nice.

Edited by sigmtnman
[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1130119" timestamp="1395841226"]We would canoe the Withlacoochee. [/quote] Same here. Used to go to a summer camp there in the Withlacoochee forest when I was young and canoeing that river was part of it. I got into doing the Wekiva river when I got older. Used to see more wildlife on the banks and I had a couple islands there I'd take the ladies to for a mid-canoe trip romp. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[quote name="reed1285" post="1130122" timestamp="1395841664"]will do! I'm also going to try to make a trip out to Clearwater beach while im there. Also the one TMF suggested, Sand Key i think was the name of it[/quote] Yeah, I was there back in November and took the kids. Real long stretch with not a lot of people. I think it's $5 parking though, but that helps to keep the riff-raff out. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Well im in Tampa, turns out my hotel is right across the street from the tampa bay times forum, where the tampa bay lighting nhl team plays. They are playing tonight, but unfortunately ill be in the exhibit hall here at the hotel till 10. First thing i see when we pull into the hotel is a lamborghini aventador parked out front! I drooled over it for a few minutes before checking in.
  • Like 1

I was just down that way a couple of weeks ago. I liked the Lowry Zoo in Tampa and the Armed Forces Museum in Largo. Took a ride in an M8 scout vehicle there. Clearwater reminded me of Myrtle Beach. Lots of people. If you want fewer folks, you could head toward Indian Rocks Beach. There's quite a few public access points there, and nowhere near the amount of people compared to Clearwater.

We also went the the Dali Museum in St. Pete. Really incredible work, and if you have an appreciation for human endeavor, it is certainly worth the trip.

• Like 1

I remember going to Lightning games during their first season. I used to be a huge fan. I've only been to a few games at the Ice Palace... was pretty disappointed they named it that as the previous place was called the Thunderdome. "Ice Palace" sounds a little "dandy". I took a wrong turn by the Ice Palace when I went to watch practice one day and ended up in the part of town where a prostitute had her breasts completely exposed. It sounds a lot cooler than it actually was. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I missed this post earlier.  The Thunderdome was the nickname for the arena they used in St Pete.  The Tampa arena was Ice Palace, then St. Pete times forum and now the Tampa Bay times forum.  I just always called it the Ice Palace.  Was lucky enough to see game 5 of the 2004 Stanley Cup there.  Talk about exciting.

You must have made a wrong turn and gone up Nebraska Ave.  Nothing at all cool about those hookers.  : )

Edited by sigmtnman
[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1130734" timestamp="1395950206"]I missed this post earlier. The Thunderdome was the nickname for the arena they used in St Pete. The Tampa arena was Ice Palace, then St. Pete times forum and now the Tampa Bay times forum. I just always called it the Ice Palace. Was lucky enough to see game 5 of the 2004 Stanley Cup there. Talk about exciting. [/quote] I was in Iraq during that time, but was able to watch most of the games, to include game 7, on AFN. One of the best Finals series I've ever seen. I still have my Lightning Champs hat. Also still have one from when I was younger and have Brian Bradley and Jablonski's autograph on the brim. I bet that place was goin nuts during that game! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep! Thanks again for that recommendation! You were right, awesome steaks. One thing i really wanted to do but didnt get to was the florida aquarium. I walked there from the hotel and when I got there the line was enormous and I only had a limited amount of time anyway so i passed. Im positive that I'll be through here again at some point so, next time!

Yep! Thanks again for that recommendation! You were right, awesome steaks. One thing i really wanted to do but didnt get to was the florida aquarium. I walked there from the hotel and when I got there the line was enormous and I only had a limited amount of time anyway so i passed. Im positive that I'll be through here again at some point so, next time!

Glad you enjoyed it. Nothing like dry aged prime steaks. If only they would open one up here.  : )  Now my mouth is watering...