Planning to re locate to the Johnson City area

drflame

Hello,

We are planning to re locate to the Johnson City area still in the looking phase right now, what can you tell me about the area? Do I need to worry about flooding, are there shooting ranges in the area. Any information is very welcomed, I did hear a story that the area is a big meth lab area, any truth to that? Like most hear say things I generally don't believe them. One last thing any Cowboy Action Shooting in the area?

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

The upper east tennessee area is a lovely area.... Full of mountains, lakes, trout streams, and lovely people... There are plenty of shooters and plenty of fishermen there... Johnson City is the home of East Tennessee State University; and excellent school for all but engineering type studies... It adds the usual "university"type mix and atmosphere to their city...

I worked and traveled in that area for many years; and i think it is a truly lovely place; full of nice people... A mix of mountain folk, with a mix of imported folks who come to work there; depending on where ya choose to live... On  balance; i would say the Johnson City and Kingsport areas are more urban with a more diverse population; with the Bristol TN-VA area and the Erwin, TN area being a bit more rural... They are all great places to be in my estimation...I wouldnt mind livin there at all, and im an east tennessee native...

As to the "drug" thing... The sad truth is that east tennessee is overrun with methamphetamine production no matter where ya look; no place is immune to the problem... I think it has become the replacement for the bootleg moonshine industry in the more rural areas... I'm sure that there are plenty of marijuana growers there too; there are wherever ya have a good amount of wooded parcels, and there are plenty of woods in upper east tennessee...

The good news is; that i think that, on balance, the local constabulary keeps a pretty good lid on things... Shootin and killins up there, unlike lots of other places, are mostly due to feuds within the drug trade... I tend to like those; they cause the participants to be self limiting, so to speak....

We have several members here who live in the upper tennessee area, im sure they will chime in and opine as to the situation there; but to me lookin to the east from north of knoxville; it looks a helluva better to me than the knoxville area...

Hope this helps...

leroy

Yup we're all a bunch of methed out feud'n hillbillies. Not a degree among us. Don't set foot off the trail cause you'll stumble on a pot field or meth lab. And don't get me started on the gay situation in Johnson city. Our backwoods sheriffs keep everything hushed up through backwoods jail house justice. Schools are among the worst in the nation. The good thing is. If you have an old fridge, mattress or car. Just run it up the holler and drop it off.
  • Like 1

Yup we're all a bunch of methed out feud'n hillbillies. Not a degree among us. Don't set foot off the trail cause you'll stumble on a pot field or meth lab. And don't get me started on the gay situation in Johnson city.Our backwoods sheriffs keep everything hushed up through backwoods jail house justice.Schools are among the worst in the nation.The good thing is. If you have an old fridge, mattress or car. Just run it up the holler and drop it off.

While detect a hint of sarcasm... that's really not too far off.

Flooding, yes depending on where you live. Doesn't happen often but flash floods are always possible.

Meth is everywhere unfortunately.

All that said, it's a beautiful area. We lived there for several years and would go back.

Hello,

We are planning to re locate to the Johnson City area still in the looking phase right now, what can you tell me about the area? Do I need to worry about flooding, are there shooting ranges in the area. Any information is very welcomed, I did hear a story that the area is a big meth lab area, any truth to that? Like most hear say things I generally don't believe them. One last thing any Cowboy Action Shooting in the area?

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

just don't kiss on the first date, even if you do have a purdy mouth. You gotta make the mountain man respect you first.

So...why JC? Job, family?

It would put me 625 miles from  family back home a one day drive either way, which also makes moving a little easier, currently have a 42 foot gooseneck trailer from the race car days so loading it up and moving is the easy part. But more important to  me is a better life for us, right now if I want to go shopping a five mile ride takes about 20 to 30 minutes, way too many people here. Plus I've been to Johnson City a couple of times in the last couple of  years, liked what little I saw and at the time thought it would be nice settle there.