world power shifting...

Guest 44M

...TN is suppose to have great deer season this year....might want to go and get a couple in the freezer. Hmmm, I might start deer hunting again.

Well, you'll still have to have electricity. Maybe better to salt cure.

I'm just sayin'...

- OS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mn32768

U.S. NATO ally turns to Russia for bailout support

Iceland has had to turn to Russia for a financial bailout because, as the Icelandic Prime Minister says, "We have not received the kind of support that we were requesting from our friends".

Iceland sits at the middle of the strategically vital Greenland-Iceland-UK (GUIK) gap - the bottleneck that controls access to the North Atlantic for Soviet, oops sorry Russian, submarines and ships operating from naval bases on the Kola peninsula.

Globalization only works if it goes both ways. If they sell their stuff here and we don't sell our stuff there (or we don't make stuff to sell anymore!) then it doesn't work. This is situation we are in right now. We don't even have a healthy domestic market because we don't make that many items in-country.

Helping shareholders and stock brokers isn't the answer, that is "dead" money that only goes to make rich people richer. American Industry needs a boost(conditional low interest loans dependent on staying here in the States). American companies need to open/re-open American plants and American Consumers need to buy American goods. (Anybody notice how many times that word American cropped up?)

We are not globalized. We just buy foreign goods while the foreign economies don't buy ours. Sounds dangerously like being a sucker in a con game to me!

The asian markets are taking a beating right now as well (Japan's Nikkei index dropped almost 10% yesterday alone, China's SSE index is down over 10% in the last week) - as long as the US accounts for about 20% of the world's GDP, we'll be a major player.

I, for one, would love to see a return to more protectionism to curb the flood of cheap imports. Between that and a more isolationist foreign policy, we'd be fine.

Edited by crimsonaudio
actually that's the scary part, it is starting to look more and more exactly like the economy that my pappaw was born into. the economy of the late 20s/early 30's

Except the problem then was that no one wanted to borrow money - there was plenty of credit. With the way so many Americans live today (leveraged to the hilt chasing the false pretense of wealth), we're in a far worse position to climb out of this than we were 80 years ago...

Guest db99wj
The asian markets are taking a beating right now as well (Japan's Nikkei index dropped almost 10% yesterday alone, China's SSE index is down over 10% in the last week) - as long as the US accounts for about 20% of the world's GDP, we'll be a major player.

I, for one, would love to see a return to more protectionism to curb the flood of cheap imports. Between that and a more isolationist foreign policy, we'd be fine.

You said it. I think others around the world do need our help, and there are many programs that would need to stay in place, and get our continued support but lets just be a player and not the primary entity that bails out their asses on anything that happens. Funny how their a lot of the countries of the world out there that hate us, but when a earthquake, typhoon, fire, rogue nation kicks their ass, we are the first ones there, and the first one asked to help, and we do. Heres something, take care of it yourself, or ask the UN.