Door Lock questions

Most secure lock I have found are the abloy protec deadbolts. I pick locks for fun and these are one of the very few that I can't pick. Aside from that they are the only lock I have found that cannot be bumped b/c of a fundamental difference in the cylinder's design. Pair that cylinder with a grade 1 deadbolt, a solid door jamb, and the expanding bolt option and it will literally be easier to cut a new hole in the wall than opening the locked door. They are available direct from www.securitysnobs.com for reasonable prices once you realise how much more secure they are.

OK, my doors have been replaced.

I will say they are pretty solid.  No door/lock is going to stop everything, but it is certain going to make my home much tougher then surrounding homes.

The outer storm door, is really a security door with a lock that is keyed on both sides.  I forgot to take a before picture but the previous door from the 1940's had a single pane of glass just inches from the door locks.  Break glass, unlock in less then 10 seconds.   Many houses around still have that.  I never liked it and can't believe I waited as long as I did to take care of it.  Yes, you can see other things in the picture that I need to address about the porch.  It is on the list.  Also, these doors are very air tight.  In fact, with either closed and closing the other, air pressure builds up more then I expected.  I know I also just got the number one draft in my house fixed at the same time.

IMG_20140409_202339.jpg

I think you'll be fine w your choices. I'll share this, locks keep the curious out but not the pros. Some of the wealthy homes I've been in have safes for guns and some jewelry but the better stuff is usually offsite in a bank vault. Abloy is a good lock as is Corbin and medeco. The biggest problem I see is where deadbolts are not installed properly. Meaning the bolt doesn't extend all the way into the hole in the frame of the doorway. This makes it useless. Make sure the bolt is extended all the way out and goes all the way through the striker plate into the hole.
The electronic locks are good make sure u do a complete reset on it before installing if u can. A deadbolt Keyed inside and out is good to have. Make sure your family knows where the emergency is stashed.
I've travelled extensively and agree jamming doors helps slow down or stop intruders. I've stayed in a few hotels where I've used gadgets and barricaded the door w chairs and other room crap to keep the turda out.
The security doors are nice to have and do work. Good locks and a good alarm w a good service provider are great to have
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1
Guest theconstitutionrocks

A few things you might want to consider...

There is a lot of reference to the weak jamb...that is spot on. Since you are going to be doing some cutting to widen the door frame it might be worthwhile to get some door jamb armor or something similar (steel plate that runs the length of the jamb. Alternatively, and I've seen this done, a cheap/easy method is to buy a 3ft piece of 1/8 inch bar steel at one of the home improvement stores, cut slots where the deadbolt throw and latch will go, recess the jamb 1/8 inch with a chistle, then lock the whole thing in with 3 inch deck screws (8-10). This ties it into the stud and makes it VERY difficult to kick/ram in (3 inch screws on the hinges as well). You may also want to get something called the "nightguard". it is a piece of steel (essentially an L angle about a foot long, that slides into a flange screwed to the floor behind the door. The steel angle then sits against the door making it virtually impossible to open (2 tons of force plus to break it). The advantage of this is that even if the BG "bumps" the key lock, he still can't open the door.

Windows are the weak point and can be broken. There are even stories of people using a rotozip through the wall (newer construction) or going through the soffit into the attic. If they want in, they will get in. The key is, if you are home, to slow them down long enough and make enough noise that, when they finally get in, there is going to be a very nasty suprise waiting for them. If I'm not at home...meh..."stuff" can be replaced, people can't.

The combination of hardening doors/windows, alarm system, cameras, and things like driveway sensors to provide early warning will likely make your home one of the least desirable in the neighborhood. You have to balance security, paranoia (yeah i'm guilty too), and the realistic threat level.