Gun activists again take aim at GOP

Gun activists again take aim at GOP

Chas Sisk, csisk@tennessean.com3:33 p.m. CDT April 28, 2014
-nasbrd10-16-2013gallatinnewsexaminer1a0

(Photo: Shelley Mays)

Debra Maggart knows what it’s like to be targeted by gun rights groups.

Two years ago, the Hendersonville Republican chaired her party’s caucus in the state House of Representatives, a job that placed her below only House Speaker Beth Harwell and Majority Leader Gerald McCormick in their hierarchy. Her opposition that summer was a campaign novice whose only previous involvement in politics had been leading prayers and role-playing historical figures at tea party events.

The National Rifle Association shook up what could have been an easy road to re-election. Through an onslaught of advertising and campaign workers, the gun rights organization transformed that newcomer, Courtney Rogers, into a serious contender. When the tallies came in on election night, Rogers had taken 57 percent of the vote and Maggart was out of a job.

“They came after me, and now the seem to be coming after Charles Sargent,” Maggart said last week. “Charles doesn’t deserve it. Charles hasn’t done anything to warrant it.”

There are unmistakeable parallels between Maggart’s defeat in 2012 and the nascent campaign to defeat state Rep. Charles Sargent, the Franklin Republican who chairs the House Finance Committee. Enough that senior Republicans should take the threat seriously.

But just as in 2012, gun rights activists will need to show a high-level of organization — in the form of dollars and boots on the ground — to pull off an upset of Sargent. Until those materialize, there’s not much reason to expect they’ll claim another scalp this summer.

Last week’s gathering at a Mexican restaurant in Cool Springs might have been a small step in that direction. About three dozen people turned out for the formation of a “Williamson County chapter” of the Tennessee Firearms Association, the organization led by Nashville attorney John Harris that long has been among the most vocal proponents of gun legislation in Tennessee.

Steve Gawrys, Sargent’s Republican challenger this summer, was invited to speak. So was Dudley Brown, a gun lobbyist out of Colorado.

They blamed Sargent for the failure of a bill that would have let Tennesseans carry openly without a permit. Sponsored by two of the most ardent gun proponents in the General Assembly, the bill had won a surprise victory in the state Senate, only to be defeated on a 10-1 vote in a House Finance subcommittee in the legislative session’s final week.

Sargent said he had nothing to do with the bill’s defeat. He noted that he had made the motion to have the bill heard and said his absence when the subcommittee vote was taken made no difference to its fate. (Sargent said he was called away to Harwell’s office to work on another legislative matter.)

“If I was there, it would have been 11-1 or 10-2,” he said. “John Harris, no matter what I do, he’s not going to like what I do.”

Harris and three dozen supporters are unlikely to tip the election by themselves. The NRA spent more than $100,000 to defeat Maggart in 2012, a sum that local gun rights activists are unlikely to pull together. They’ll also need more people knocking on doors if they hope to shake up Sargent’s re-election bid.

But Maggart thinks winning the election may be secondary to another goal — demonstrating that the TFA remains relevant. Since her defeat, many Republican lawmakers have been harsh in their criticism of Harris.

Some openly describe Harris as an extremist, more interested in agitating than in supporting conservative lawmakers.

“I think these groups do these things to raise money,” said Maggart. “You’ve got to have a villain to raise money against.”

With a district close to Nashville, a powerful position in the House and a Republican opponent on the ballot, Sargent is a convenient figure to take on. Gun rights groups’ credibility may rest on whether they succeed.

Reach Chas Sisk at 615-259-8283 and on Twitter @chassisk.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/28/gun-activists-take-aim-gop/8422297/

Edited by QuietDan
From the article:

"Her opposition that summer was a campaign novice whose only previous involvement in politics had been leading prayers and role-playing historical figures at tea party events."

This statement is patently dishonest, as even the most cursory google search would prove for the most casual reader. Can this ERROR be explained by the reporters naive and dishonest ideological bent? Or by current or former employ by the Maggart campaign?

"Her opposition" and now successor is Lieutenant Colonel Courtney Rogers, United States Air Force, Retired, a 28-year veteran with all the interpersonal and political skills you would expect of such an experienced person. 

Representative Rogers holds a B.A., University of Southern California in International Relations, Certification in Soviet Studies; an M.S., University of Central Michigan in Administration; has attended U.S.A.F. Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB Alabama; the U.S.A.F. Air Command and Staff College; and the U.S.A.F. Air War College. This is hardly the academic credentials of a "Novice." I daresay she has more knowledge and experience than her predecessor or the child that wrote this report.

"Campaign novice" might not get you convicted in a court of law, but the court of public opinon where we all reside on a daily basis knows this is dishonest. Unfortunately, the truth of Roger's experience does not jive with an ideological ridicule of Second Amendment supporters. 

This demonstrated and serious ideological bent of a reporter, not an opinionist, in a news story, not an editorial, is such a serious misrepresentation that it should effect Chas Sisk's continued employment, a call his editor should make, if he even has an editor.
Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 3

I learned not to trust reporters, any of them several years ago.  They are on the payroll of an industry with an agenda, and their main thrust is to further that agenda.

The usual hack job...

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2013/09/02/et-tu-brute-even-gun-freaks-out-to-beat-lamar

Now, Nick Carey with Reuters did quote me correctly and in context, refreshing...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/18/us-usa-politics-tennessee-idUSBRE84H0UD20120518

"Lamar Alexander is the worst thing since dysentery," Tennesseans for Liberty's Archie said.

• Like 2
Guest PapaB
than in supporting conservative lawmakers

It's not the conservative lawmakers that we have a problem with, unless conservative is now defined as one that says they support something, then vote against it.

“I think these groups do these things to raise money,” said Maggart. “You’ve got to have a villain to raise money against.”

Isn't she now in the business of handing out money?  Seems someone told me that she had gone over to the Dark Side, working as a paid lobbyist these days.  I did see her this session, strolling LP with a black bag and grin...

From the article:

"Her opposition that summer was a campaign novice whose only previous involvement in politics had been leading prayers and role-playing historical figures at tea party events."

This statement is patently dishonest, as even the most cursory google search would prove for the most casual reader. Can this ERROR be explained by the reporters naive and dishonest ideological bent? Or by current or former employ by the Maggart campaign?

"Her opposition" and now successor is Lieutenant Colonel Courtney Rogers, United States Air Force, Retired, a 28-year veteran with all the interpersonal and political skills you would expect of such an experienced person. 

Representative Rogers holds a B.A., University of Southern California in International Relations, Certification in Soviet Studies; an M.S., University of Central Michigan in Administration; has attended U.S.A.F. Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB Alabama; the U.S.A.F. Air Command and Staff College; and the U.S.A.F. Air War College. This is hardly the academic credentials of a "Novice." I daresay she has more knowledge and experience than her predecessor or the child that wrote this report.

"Campaign novice" might not get you convicted in a court of law, but the court of public opinon where we all reside on a daily basis knows this is dishonest. Unfortunately, the truth of Roger's experience does not jive with an ideological ridicule of Second Amendment supporters. 

This demonstrated and serious ideological bent of a reporter, not an opinionist, in a news story, not an editorial, is such a serious misrepresentation that it should effect Chas Sisk's continued employment, a call his editor should make, if he even has an editor.

What in Ms. Rodger's bio suggests she had any political campaign experience?  I didn't see anything of the sort.

Interpersonal and political skills?  She was a Lt. Col...she probably had to get over the shock of how slow and lazy people who didn't have to follow her direct orders under UCMJ could be in making things happen.  I'll bet she learned a lot about interpersonal and political skills in campaigning, but she wasn't equipped with them out of the gate.  All those Air Force schools you listed are only related to her time as an Air Force officer, unless someone want's to show me campaign politics being taught at command and staff college. 

She was probably able to learn an adapt quicker than someone else might have been since that's a trait you learn fast in the military.  She won, which is good, but don't think that she came to the table with those skills.  Being a retired field grade officer (or any military experience) doesn't mean they are ready to campaign from day one.  She got an education along the way to being elected in it.

Edited by btq96r

What in Mr. Rodger's bio suggests he had any political campaign experience?  I didn't see anything of the sort.

Inerpersonal and political skills?  He was a Lt. Col...he probably had to get over the shock of how slow and lazy people who didn't have to follow his direct orders under UCMJ could be in making things happen.  I'll bet he learned a lot about interpersonal and political skills in campaining, but he wasn't equiped with them out of the gate.  All those Air Force schools you listed are only related to his time as an Air Force officer, unless someone want's to show me campaign politics being taugt at command and staff college. 

He was probably able to learn an adapt quicker than someone else might have been since that's a trait you learn fast in the miliary.  He won, which is good, but don't think that he came to the table with those skills.  Being a retired field grade officer (or an military experience) doesn't mean they are ready to campaign from day one.  He got an education along the way to being elected in it.

Courtney's a she, btw.   But I agree with ya.  She isn't the typical 'politician.'  Got to spend some one-on-one time with her (and Lamberth, Weaver, and Haile).  She wants to serve, not garner political 'trophies,' and she does it from her values, heart and conscience.  Really solid person, even if she doesn't always play the 'politician' role well.  Out of the bunch that represent Sumner County, she's the most 'real' and down to earth.  Lamberth and Weaver are good people, too....and overall pretty 'real'....just more involved in 'the game' of politics.  Haile is ok, but still thinks like a pharmacist....as evidenced by his stance on the pseudoephedrine legislation.

Edited by homeagain
  • Like 1