Powder coating

Well I have been wanting to try this for some time, I used Dolomits "shake and bake" method.

Pick up some powder from a buy I made off another site, it was in with the other stuff I wanted.

It is "Powder by the Pound" powder, picked upa cheap oven and the thermometer was in the 

buy as well.

The color is frog green, it like it.

The dig thermometer is what I used for calibrate the oven thermometer.

[url=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/PCsetup2_zpse922b7d5.jpg.html]PCsetup2_zpse922b7d5.jpg[/URL]

Close up of the boolits, 170 gr 30 cal HP, 170 gr 30 cal solid and 160 gr 40 cal HP

[url=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/PCsetup4_zps7fe877d6.jpg.html]PCsetup4_zps7fe877d6.jpg[/URL]

Edited by RED333
  • Like 2

Well done and Congrats Red! :up:

Of course you know you now have a new addiction, don't you? :cool:

We are using red and green and have gone through about 5000 rounds of 9mm so far. Dolomite's method is beyond simple.

We've even pushed some of the 9mm rounds up to 1300 fps to test the powder coating. The stuff works!

And the red bullets are a bit of an attention-getter.

But I like the green ones myself.

Please let us know what you think of the HP rounds if/when you test them. HP's are next on the agenda for us.

I aint got that far in doing this, still learning.

Did learn not to put coated boolits that are still hot in the powder, dropped 10 in the powder

to hot and I got a clump of junk out. LOL

I am about to cast several thousand bullets and I will be coating them all but I do them in LARGE batches.

• Like 1

I aint got that far in doing this, still learning.
Did learn not to put coated boolits that are still hot in the powder, dropped 10 in the powder
to hot and I got a clump of junk out. LOL

Ha, I did that once. It was a mess...
My thought was if the bullets were slightly warm the powder would stick better (orange powder, takes multiple coats to look decent, thought warm bullet may equal more powder and a single coating). If the bullets are slightly warm the powder does stick better, but trying to find that sweet spot on the temperature is a PITA and not worth the hassle.

Ha, I did that once. It was a mess...
My thought was if the bullets were slightly warm the powder would stick better (orange powder, takes multiple coats to look decent, thought warm bullet may equal more powder and a single coating). If the bullets are slightly warm the powder does stick better, but trying to find that sweet spot on the temperature is a PITA and not worth the hassle.

O that was my first and last time for me. Powder is cheap but not free.

I did put the mess in my melt pot, strange, the lead melted inside the coating,

I had to cut the coating to get the melted lead out. The stuff is tuff.

Recoverd from the sand bank

40 cal, 4 gr Titigroup, 160 gr HP before and 155 gr after.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/powder%20coat/photo5_zps4e35acf3.jpg.html]photo5_zps4e35acf3.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/powder%20coat/photo3_zps3e5128a3.jpg.html]photo3_zps3e5128a3.jpg[/URL]

You can see the powder coat stuck well.

• Like 2