I did somethign today I've never done

dralarms

Or even considered before. I placed an order for stocks. Wow I can't believe I'm saying that. I placed an order for 400 shares of Smith & Wesson (swhc), told my broker (that's strange sounding) that once it hits 2.00 or below buy. It's just hit 2.00 so if he did what I told him to do I'm now a shareholder in S&W:D.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to know the truth? I'm 47 and this was my first stock purchase, shoot I don't even have a clue what to do next except sit on it until the price goes back up to 22 bucks a share.:blah:

Fact that they are selling no-lock wheelies again might help.

- OS

You can always look at using E-trade. You get some basic tools, but you are looking out for yourself. There of course is risk when you buy and sell stocks. If you don't do much trading and know what you want, might be a more feasable option.

You can always look at using E-trade. You get some basic tools, but you are looking out for yourself. There of course is risk when you buy and sell stocks. If you don't do much trading and know what you want, might be a more feasable option.

What is required to sign up with them? Do they charge a monthly fee?

What is required to sign up with them? Do they charge a monthly fee?

Not sure of the fee structure anymore. I use to sell a competitive product to community banks to use/sell to their customers. I think they had an annual fee. Their are fees, trade fees and what not, I know alot of the online companies would advertise 9.99 trades, but you have to do a bunch of them and keep a certain balance every month.

Anytime you use one you need to read the fine print and compare it to a live person. You got to look at what you are going to do. If it is a every once in awhile thing, etrade might not work, a broker might be better.

I bought $2,000 of Wal-Mart from a broker back many years ago when it was the hottest thing going. It increased over time to $20,000. Then it started the roller coaster of down-up-down and didn't seem to be doing much. So a couple years ago I sold $2,000 worth (broker fee was $245) and bought Smith and Wesson when the M&P line was the hottest thing on the market and the stock was climbing. My $2,000 investment soon reached a value of $4,000 and instead of selling for a profit I hung on a little to long and S&W tanked. All I can do now is hold on and hope to recoup my original investment. So sad.:blah:

I bought $2,000 of Wal-Mart from a broker back many years ago when it was the hottest thing going. It increased over time to $20,000. Then it started the roller coaster of down-up-down and didn't seem to be doing much. So a couple years ago I sold $2,000 worth (broker fee was $245) and bought Smith and Wesson when the M&P line was the hottest thing on the market and the stock was climbing. My $2,000 investment soon reached a value of $4,000 and instead of selling for a profit I hung on a little to long and S&W tanked. All I can do now is hold on and hope to recoup my original investment. So sad.:blah:

I'm hoping it stays down for a few more weeks, I'd like another 400 shares. But if it goes up big time I'll be happy with that also.;)

Can I convert my 401K in Etrade to S&W stock without taking the tax hit? :rolleyes:

If it's a 401k that can be rolled into an IRA, your broker can fund the IRA with any stock you want, totally tax sheltered. However most 401k's held at your current job cannot be rolled out untill you quit. But if you've got an old one from a previous job, you're good to go. :screwy:

Guest unreconstructed1
Or even considered before. I placed an order for stocks.

now see, at this point, I'm picturing some nice cherry furniture for an SK or a Mosin

now a shareholder in S&W:D.

well, with stock value so low, now's probably the best time to get into it...