Anyone with non-profit experience?

I have one life to live, and I feel the need and have a desire to make an attempt at doing some good in my community. While a few people I've talked to insist this will be in vain because people don't really want to change, I can't accept that. Even if some people don't want to change, I want to believe there's hope for the children. I want to believe at least some of them can be lead down to the right path.

I am in the very, very beginning stages of this; hardly more than an idea. Problem is, I've never so much as worked with a non-profit, much less have any ready idea of the ins & outs. I'm hoping to find someone who's willing to give me some advice, in hopes that I can avoid some of the trial and error. My father always told me to learn from someone else's mistakes, and this seems to be sound advice for such a venture.

Anyway, before I started contacting random non-profits, I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I suggest you find some cause you actually have some belief in. My last philanthropic endeavor was in helping to bring about a new public library here in town. It was something I felt was valid and needed to be done. If you don't believe in it, it will be hard to be committed to seeing the project to completion.

Let me add, that you do need to have some emotional investment in the cause. The reason for that is you will most likely be put into a situation wherein the folks you associate with will be much much different from you. You possibly will not like or maybe even respect their opinions.

I suggest you find some cause you actually have some belief in. My last philanthropic endeavor was in helping to bring about a new public library here in town. It was something I felt was valid and needed to be done. If you don't believe in it, it will be hard to be committed to seeing the project to completion.

I don't exactly have a game plan, as of yet. But I do have an idea that I believe in. I had an idea that I truly believe could make a positive impact on the area I live in. I'm not out to be the next Habitat for Humanity, but some positive impact is better than none. 

• Like 2

I don't exactly have a game plan, as of yet. But I do have an idea that I believe in. I had an idea that I truly believe could make a positive impact on the area I live in. I'm not out to be the next Habitat for Humanity, but some positive impact is better than none. 

Get to know your local city council/county commissioners. Show up at the meetings. Get a game plan. Be persistent. That's what it takes. The powers that be need to see you and know you and hear from you. And if you can scare them a bit it's even better.

And you definitely need a wing man. Good cop bad cop routine is often very effective.

Start with a little research into an irs 501c3 status. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unless you specifically need to take donations that are tax free for the donor, other types of non-profit incorporation will likely be more beneficial to you. That's why many of the most successful and influential non-profits are not ( c )(3) status, like the NRA and AARP

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I've been on the board of a couple of non-profits but have never dealt with the logistics of setting one up.  The Center for Nonprofit Management (http://www.cnm.org/) has a good rep. I'd start there.  I also have a buddy who set one up in the last few years.  I know he used a company to set up the tax status.  If you get to the point where that's a concern let me know and I'll hook yall up.

Guest mrstaylor0602

I'm the CFO of a NP.  If you have some specific questions, ask them and I'll try to answer.  If you don't have a govt funding stream, plan on doing a lot of meet and greets, phone calling and begging.

Edited by mrstaylor0602
Guest kingarmory

Been running a private business during the Obamapocalypse, that's about as non-profit as you can get :(

Edited by kingarmory