Looking into a 10/22

Guest num7striker

Guest num7striker

Hey guys, figured I'd bum some information with my first post! I recently turned 21 and purchased my first handgun, an XD-9. However, I am quickly learning that shooting is an unbelievably expensive hobby.

I would love to be able to build an AR in the future, however that will have to wait a while. I think it would be great fun to have a 10/22 to plink around with at long distances. It would be a nice and cheap way to satiate my shooting hunger :rofl:. I would like to get a simple 10/22, stock would be completely fine for me, no fancy accessories necessary. I would like to spend as little money possible without sacrificing quality, so I'm not adverse to buying used.

Where should I start looking? I spend time in both Chattanooga and Knoxville.. Also, how willing are gun store owners usually willing to negotiate? I would hate to piss off the owners of the places I will be frequenting :rofl:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, figured I'd bum some information with my first post! I recently turned 21 and purchased my first handgun, an XD-9. However, I am quickly learning that shooting is an unbelievably expensive hobby.

I would love to be able to build an AR in the future, however that will have to wait a while. I think it would be great fun to have a 10/22 to plink around with at long distances. It would be a nice and cheap way to satiate my shooting hunger :rofl:. I would like to get a simple 10/22, stock would be completely fine for me, no fancy accessories necessary. I would like to spend as little money possible without sacrificing quality, so I'm not adverse to buying used.

Where should I start looking? I spend time in both Chattanooga and Knoxville.. Also, how willing are gun store owners usually willing to negotiate? I would hate to piss off the owners of the places I will be frequenting :rofl:

Usually Wal-Mart is going to be your cheapest bet on a new Ruger 10/22. I'm not saying you can't find them cheaper, but it may not be that easy.

Guest Bronker

Welcome in, Num.

About a month ago, I picked up a new 10/22 "All-Weather" in stainless / synthetic for $229. That was at Academy Outdoors. They beat all others by $50. I love mine, and it will drive nails out to 100 yds +.

Guest num7striker

Well, I've been looking at the 10/22s because they seem to be the most easily customizable. If I did get one I would plan on upgrading and customizing in the future.

the 10/22s because they seem to be the most easily customizable.

if that is what you are looking to do then the 10-22 is the ticket for you.

Mind now you will end up with a 500 or 600 dollar plinker. 400 of that could be apllied to an AR you say you want down the road. Just sayin...

Guest 5Legion

I think you are right on with the 10/22. I bought a stock one - it's the best plinker going. Later, I got a Fajen stock and barrel kit - it's now an uber plinker and one of my fav guns. You can't go wrong with a 10/22.

JD

Guest num7striker

Well, I went to both the Chattanooga and Turkey Creek Wal-Marts today and discovered that Walmart no longer carries 10/22s due to a pending lawsuit. They only carry muzzleloaders. I went to Dick's and they were selling the stainless for $249. I also went to Gander Mountain and they had them for $269. I was, however, quite disappointed with the models at each store because they were so short.. I have heard that there are 20" barrel models at Wally world, these did not seem to be 20".

I was going to stop at Guns and More and CCA but they were both closed. I will go out to both again later this week to take a peek, I also saw a billboard advertising a gunshow, I believe it was around the 20th.

Anyways, you make a good point about having the extra money to put towards an AR... how dare you manipulate my weak point!!

I will take a look at some Marlins!

Well, I went to both the Chattanooga and Turkey Creek Wal-Marts today and discovered that Walmart no longer carries 10/22s due to a pending lawsuit. They only carry muzzleloaders. I went to Dick's and they were selling the stainless for $249. I also went to Gander Mountain and they had them for $269. I was, however, quite disappointed with the models at each store because they were so short.. I have heard that there are 20" barrel models at Wally world, these did not seem to be 20".

I was going to stop at Guns and More and CCA but they were both closed. I will go out to both again later this week to take a peek, I also saw a billboard advertising a gunshow, I believe it was around the 20th.

Anyways, you make a good point about having the extra money to put towards an AR... how dare you manipulate my weak point!!

I will take a look at some Marlins!

I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $180. That was before they made the cowardly deal with Bloomberg. Now I wont buy any guns products from Wally World anymore, not even a pack of barrel patches. JMO.

Shortly after I saw a 10-22 at Dicks Sporting Goods for around the same price.

Guest num7striker

Well, none of the "urban" Wal-Marts that I have visited are carrying firearms any more. I was told that I could go to Halls, Oak Ridge, or I think it was Lenoir City and buy one.. They wouldn't even order one for me at the Gallaher View Wally-world.

Guest Rugerman
Is that barrel stock or aftermarket?

It is an aftermarket 20" bull barrel. If you are looking at building one I will be glad to send you links to the places I bought things from (I shopped hard for the best prices). Just PM me if you want more information and pictures.:D

Edited by Rugerman
Changed 20' to 20"!!!!!

It was mentioned earlier - I'd also suggest looking at the Marlin 60. It's $135 at Academy Sports. ($60-ish dollars less than a 10 22) I purchased that specifically because I knew once I got the 10 22 - It would be a money pit.

The Marlin 60 is very accurate out the box. (more than the 10 22 out of the box) I love it.

I will add, 1 year after that Marlin purchase, I now have a 10 22 also. =) And yes, it's got a new stock, lots of magazines, and I can't help but keep looking at what else to add. It looks way cooler and more "fun" but when I want to destroy little bitty pieces of broken clay from far away - i still opt for the marlin.