Marlin 336 safe queen or user?

Guest tangojuliet

Back in 1976 a close friend asked me to find him a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington caliber for deer hunting. I found him a like new rifle for a really low price (even then). Fast forward to about 5 years ago he and I were talking about hunting. He explained all he is hunting now is turkies. I asked about the 336 and he still had it. He brought it out of hiding and it still looked new. I offered to buy it but he refused. Instead he GAVE it to me and refused to accept any payment. However, he said he was searching for a short shotgun for home protection (in addition to the various handguns he owns). A short time later I presented him with a Remington 870, 20" barrel, matt finish, black synthetic furniture. He claimed it was exactly what he had been trying to find and asked the price. I answered "You can pay me........exactly what I recently paid you for a Marlin rifle." He answered with a slow, sly grin, then turned and put the 870 in his storage room. Isn't friendship fun.

Stumpy

your gonna be in the 35 remington boat like i am LOL  but i love the 336 good rifles 

Well I STILL haven't received the screw I am waiting on for mine so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. This weekend though I did remove the lever and polish up the end of it where all of the surfaces slide on each other and MAN did it make a difference on how smooth it operates. I was surprised at how rough the machining was on the lever though. It had very deep machining marks in it that the factory never even tried to smooth out. Is everyone's like this? I may look into getting a big loop lever in the future but not if it's going to look like this.

• 1 month later...
Guest tangojuliet

Reload your own. The35 is a VERY capable cal. I have a leveraction and a Savage pump action in 35.

oh i love my 35 but i dont have a press to reload ...

• 2 weeks later...

Reload your own. The35 is a VERY capable cal. I have a leveraction and a Savage pump action in 35.

+1 to that

My dad killed deer for 40 years with his 35 cal. 336. Those 200 grain thumpers smack 'em down good.

If you don't have a reload set-up, find a buddy who does and just buy him a set of dies and talk real nice to him to load you up some rounds. A case of beer can be a deal breaker :pleased:

• Like 1