Romanian Tokarev or Polish Radom P64

From what I can see (and what I've learned here) the story seems to go:  a given model is being imported, the model is widely available and the prices are good, then that model stops being imported, the supply drys up and the prices rise (i.e. basic supply and demand).

Given that, I've pretty much narrowed my next C&R purchase to either a Romanian Tokarev or a Polish Radom P64.  I intend to own both eventually but am wondering if those here more learned than I (not a high bar) have an opinion on which of these two I should buy first to avoid the low supply / higher price scenario I've described.

Thanks. 

I had a Romanian at one time that was a piece of junk.  It was completely unreliable and I believe part of the problem was the safety that was installed as an import requirement was interfering with the works.  That and the fact is was just junk.

That's my experience with the one Romanian specimen I've ever owned.

My choice is the Yugo M57.  Very well built and the safety installed is more of a 1911 style than what is put on the Poles and Romanians.

Edited by Garufa

IMO, get the P-64. A set of Wolfe springs make it a viable EDC.

If you really want a Tok, Aim has some Polish TTC's available. Tempted myself...

EDIT to add: I succumbed to said temptation, just placed the order!

Garufa, my Romy is also a POJ. Shoots, but cannot rack the slide unless the hammer is cocked - strange.

Edited by ttocswob

Is that based upon any opinion that the P64 will be more difficult to find or pricier in the future or just your belief that the P64 is the better firearm?

Yes to both - again, just my opinion.The P64's quickly shot up over $200 (pardon the pun) when they achieved C&R status, and haven't come back down. The J&G Romy's you mentioned are at a good price, although shipping from AZ is a bit more.

I have 2 Romanian's and they both shoot very good. No FTF or FTE using surplus ammo. Also have the Chinese, Yugo and Polish. The Yugo must have a 15lb trigger pull,my gauge  does not go high enough to measure it and every time somebody shoots it they think the safety is on.  :pleased:  I am a sucker for a relic and have been happy with my Toks. :usa:

• Like 1

If it makes a difference, here's a little more back story.  My C&R interest is fairly recent.  I got my C&R this Spring and purchased my obligatory Mosin-Nagant.  Not to be derisive, looks really cool hanging in the man cave.  My primary interest in the C&Rs is as display pieces.  Not to say I won't shoot 'em at least a little to say I did.  I do reserve the right to change my position on this matter.  

I wanted a Nagant revolver but found them in shorter supply and higher priced than they were just a couple years ago.  I was fortunate enough to find a kind-hearted TGO member willing to part with one at a good price.  I know I will want a P64 and a Tokarev.  I'm hoping to avoid one of these becoming a unicorn for me.

All of that said, I've about decided to go with the P64 first hopeful that I'll be able to pick up an acceptable (for me at least given my current intention of more display than shooter) Tokarev down the line at a decent price.

Thanks for the responses. 

Do any of the tokarevs have thumb safety's as original equipment or are they all added for import?

As for those in current supply:

-- AIM's website says that they were added for import when they were refurbed.

-- J&G's website makes no mention. 

All Tokarevs imported into this country have a safety installed.  It's a requirement that is sometimes installed by hacks, sometimes by the original factory (think Yugo Zastava)  Tok's never had one to begin with.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
The P64 seems to be the one in the shortest supply. However, it seems like as the gun buying craziness has slowed a bit, they are becoming more available again. The P64 would be my pick first, but now that I picked up a Polish Tokarev with the last batch AIM had, I'm thinking about getting some of the other variants. The other thing in favor of the P64 is that you can actually find reasonably priced ammo for it, but you can't find any for the Toks unless you really want to pay ridiculous prices for it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ironically enough, Classic Firearms now has the P64's on sale for $219.99 ($20 off) until Midnight Wednesday (9/10/14).  FWIW, they also have a new shipment of Romanian Tokarevs (website says "factory safety").

Edited by Mike A

Ironically enough, Classic Firearms now has the P64's on sale for $219.99 ($20 off) until Midnight Wednesday (9/10/14).  FWIW, they also have a new shipment of Romanian Tokarevs (website says "factory safety").

So, what are you waiting for? :)

BTW, just received shipping notice on my Polish Tokarev - should be here Friday!

LCP, you're right about the ammo - 7.62x25 surplus is all but gone, and now higher per round than Priv/Gold Line?! I did manage to snag 3 boxes of Wolf HP a while back, good stuff if you can get it.

Edited by ttocswob

So, what are you waiting for? :)

BTW, just received shipping notice on my Polish Tokarev - should be here Friday!

LCP, you're right about the ammo - 7.62x25 surplus is all but gone, and now higher per round than Priv/Gold Line?! I did manage to snag 3 boxes of Wolf HP a while back, good stuff if you can get it.

Who says I waited?  I had pretty much decided to go with the P64 anyway. Saw this as a sign.  I'll pick up a Tokarev somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

Yep, the 7.62X25 ammo went through the roof about two years ago when the old Surplus ammo got sold out in the Spam cans. I have a buddy and he has a polish Tokarev and a Russian Tokarev and they are his carry weapons a good bit of the time when he is not packing a 1911...............I got to shoot his Russian and needless to say shooting it was an adventure which I did enjoy but would not want to do it again. Surprising part is the recoil is no where near what you would expect from it............jmho

Do any of the tokarevs have thumb safety's as original equipment or are they all added for import?

Surplus Tokarev's usually have a safety that was installed by the importer or by the factory/arsenal in the country of origin prior to shipping.  They did not have a safety as originally issued.  Zastava has however, started reproducing the Tokarev in 7.62x25 and 9mm as model M57A and M70A.  These BNIB pistols have a proper thumb safety installed at the factory.

New Style Safety on M57A

F1YM57.jpg