5.56 load info

I gather from hunting around online that this is a common question. I looked at several threads on the forum and didn't see this asked...
I have info on .223 loads and no 5.56. It seems like I could have a problem loading 5.56 with .223 data. I am using mixed headstamps (lake city and .223 both, along with others). Planning on using Varget with 55 grain Hornady soft points. Any SME here that could chime in?

I load mixed 5.56 and .223 brass exactly the same for blaster ammo but i'm not near max load. 5.56 brass is a bit thicker netting less case volume so you will need to be careful with any loads near max. If you're going for accuracy loads then you will benefit from sorting them because it will make a little difference. I did load some test rounds in mixed brass one time and the 5.56 brass consistently started showing high pressure signs before the .223 did so there is cause for caution when working up towards max. If you're going to continue to load mixed brass my suggestion would be to work your load up using only 5.56 brass and then you know that the larger volume .223 brass will be fine. I know some really sort their brass seriously but I will tell you this, Another member and I load and work up loads together most of the time and we worked up a "blaster ammo" load using pull down mil-surp powder, pulled bullets and mixed brass and he can somewhat regularly shoot half inch groups at 100yds through his Rem700 bolt gun.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.