I'm scheduled for my HCP class

Might want to verify that you can use a 22. My instructor wouldn't allow it. I now know the regs don't say you can't use a 22 but his logic may be good His thought was hardly anyone carries a 22 so you should not qualify with it.

Thanks for the input, I will check into this. I had decided to use my Walther .22lr just because it is light and has hardly any recoil, not to mention it's fun to shoot, but if they won't allow it I will use my Hi-Point .40cal. It's big, bulky, ugly, cheap, bulky, big, some say it's ugly, lol, but it is very accurate and a blast to shoot, not to mention I have around 475rds. of .40cal FMJ ammo. If the instructor asks do I plan on carrying the big block of USA made firearm I will tell him probably not all the time but I may carry my Bersa .40cal so I thought I would take your range test with a .40cal, it just happens to be big, bulky, ugly and cheap. I'm trying to bring some humor to this thread. I by no means am being a smart eleck jerk, just trying to make ya'll smile.

Most instructors will tell you when they say something that is going to be on the test, allow you to make notes of that and have it out during the test. If someone fails the classroom portion they have no business owning a firearm. A friend of mine instructs HCP classes and says that he has NEVER had anyone fail in the classroom portion and i'd say he has had into the thousands of folks come through his classroom. Nothing to it, IMO the whole thing is nothing more than a formality and a way to have a record of those carrying a gun.

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am nowhere near as nervous about this test as I had been. It's starting to feel good to loosen up as I do want to enjoy this.

Might want to verify that you can use a 22. My instructor wouldn't allow it. I now know the regs don't say you can't use a 22 but his logic may be good His thought was hardly anyone carries a 22 so you should not qualify with it.

+1. They allowed .22 where my wife & I went. The only handgun they didn't allow at our class was single action revolvers. I guess it makes sense since 99% of people won't choose a SA revolver for SD carry, but it disapointed my wife since she had recently bought her first handgun; a Ruger Single Six, & was hoping to use it. The instructor had an assortment of about 10 handguns in a selection of calibers that he loaned out for free to anyone that needed one. My wife used one of the free loaner pistols & got a perfect score on her range test so it worked out fine. :up:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I went to the first part of the HCP class today. Ya'll were right, it was simple. I did learn something though, it is now legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle concealed or not and ready to fire. They passed the law earlier this year. I told the instructor that was why I was taking the course mainly, my Dad had been on to me about carrying a loaded gun in my truck without a permit, but I still wanted to take the course and get my permit. She even printed it off for me in case I get stopped and the LEO doesn't know the law has changed. On another note, I'm gonna do the range test with my Bersa .9mm, I have plenty of ammo and it needs to be warmed up anyway as it's been sitting for awhile. I am gonna do my best to keep aware of the new laws from here on out, lol. Edited by Camaro_nut2001

I went to the first part of the HCP class today. Ya'll were right, it was simple. I did learn something though, it is now legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle concealed or not and ready to fire. They passed the law earlier this year. I told the instructor that was why I was taking the course mainly, my Dad had been on to me about carrying a loaded gun in my truck without a permit, but I still wanted to take the course and get my permit. She even printed it off for me in case I get stopped and the LEO doesn't know the law has changed. On another note, I'm gonna do the range test with my Bersa .9mm, I have plenty of ammo and it needs to be warmed up anyway as it's been sitting for awhile. I am gonna do my best to keep aware of the new laws from here on out, lol.

You admitted to breaking the law to your HCP class instructor?

You admitted to breaking the law to your HCP class instructor?

Well, I hadn't thought of it that way but I guess I did. You do have a point and yes, I was breaking the law no excuses, my Dad stayed on me about it, but... I feel like I am a responseable adult and if she had asked I would have told her the truth. I am both surprized and very thankful that Tennessee did change the law.

I finished my class today and passed. I scored a 97 on the written test, missed one question, and scored 100 on the range. The target was so close and big, 3yds, 5yds and 7yds, I thought about drawing a smiley face with my shot placements, just kidding. I decided on taking my Walther .22 to do the range test. She gave me a certificate of completion and let me bring my target paper home. I had to aim at different areas just so I could see where I shot as I was making a big hole in the center. Fifty rounds of .22lr hitting in the same spot will make one huge hole. I don't know why I was so worried  I would fail it. But, even though it was so simple, I am still proud of myself and I bought a 50rd. box of shells from the place just to support them. Monday is a holiday so it will be Tuesday, if the good Lord is willing, before I can go to the DMV to pay their fee and get the paper showing where to get my fingerprints done, then she said I should have my HCP in the mail in about 3wks or so. For anyone that is ready to take the class try not to worry to much, it really is a piece of cake. Also I want to say Thank you to all that responded to this thread, it really helped me prepare.

• 2 weeks later...

The Department of Safety changed their firing requirements in April 2013.  All schools are now required to have students shoot a minimum of 50 rounds at a B-29 (small) silhouette target at ranges of 3 yards (20 shots), 5 yards (20 shots) and 7 yards (10 shots).  These are generally fired in 5-shot groups, but that is left up to the chief instructor.  Scoring is two points for any shot inside or touching the outside ("7") scoring ring and one point for shots outside the scoring rings but still inside the silhouette.  Zero is awarded for anything outside the silhouette.  A minimum score of 70 is required to pass.  If the student has submitted his or her application online before entering the class, written and shooting test results are reported online on a pass/fail basis; otherwise test scores are faxed or mailed to Nashville.

In our class we can handle up to12 students on the firing line in each relay.  We have four or five instructors participating in each class, so each instructor only has two or three students to monitor during the firing phase.  If someone seems to be having trouble during the first phase or two, one of the instructors will step in give them individual help to overcome the problem -- usually it's a problem with sight alignment for a first-time shooter.  We also have .22 semi-automatic target pistols we can lend students for the firing phase, or they are free to use their own guns.  Our only restriction is that we do not allow .44 magnum or .357 magnum ammunition to be used during the class.  Students who own a gun in either of these calibers can still use the gun, but substitute .44 special or .38 special ammo, as other shooters and the instructors find the report of the magnum ammo distracting and annoying.  We also feel that neither of these types of magnum ammunition is a good choice for a defensive carry gun because of the potential problem of over-penetration ("You are responsible for the bullet no matter where it goes" -- even if it's through your assailant and out the other side).  If you're really concerned about passing the firing portion of the class you may want to locate a class that has a number of instructors assisting with each class, then if you need it you can probably get individual attention to get a satisfactory score.