Problems with ProMag brand magazines

Guest thirtyfiverem336

I'm new to the AR market. I've shot. I've studied and I've learned a few lessons. I've been shooting hunting guns forever, but again, only been working an AR for a couple of years. I knew what I was doing and I knew it was a gamble... here's the story...

cdnnsports had a terrific deal on ProMag magazines. I've seen them in sporting goods stores, gun shops and online and I've always followed the sound advice I was given when I got my first AR-15 three years ago (a Colt LE6920): Just buy Magpul PMags. During the magazine shortage, I overpaid for a few. When prices leveled off, I got some more. They always worked. Never a problem. I knew the same wasn't consistently said about most other brands including Promag.

But I found myself admiring 20-shot capacity mags. Long story, but I was looking to go "light" and I refuse to support California 10-shot mags, so I decided to get some 20-round PMags. Funny thing... soon as I started looking, all I could find was 30 round mags. I was going to order some, but stumbled across said deal at cdnnsports.com... $5 apiece for polymer ProMags, 20-round capacity. I expect this has to do with selling them off due to a lawsuit settlement with PMag over patent infringement related to said mags, but I digress.

The Promags feel good. Much like PMags... a little thinner and a little less refined/finished around the feed lip, but solid. But they're not.

Issues:

1) PMag follower is self leveling. Promag followers are not. Press down on one side or the other and you can stick it out of commission until you beat it on a table and it pops back.

2) Follower is cheap feeling. It's thin, weak and as stated, it doesn't self level. It's like holding a quality firearm (Magpul) and then picking up a plastic water gun (Promag).

3) Fit in my Colt is so-so. The empty magazine went in and I didn't notice anything, but when I pulled back the charging handle and went to drop it by hitting my aftermarket Magpul B.A.D. Lever, it didn't want to press. With my PMags, the thing requires a gentle tap and the bolt slams shut. I pressed. Harder. Harder. Finally, I turned the gun to the other side and hit on the release button (that the lever is fastened to) and when I racked it with the butt of my palm, hard, it shut. I pulled back the charging handle, dropped the magazine and slammed the mag back in, hard this time. This time, it closed BETTER when I hit the BAD lever, but it was still much harder than with the PMags. Additionally, the Promags rattle a little and don't seem as secure in the magazine well as the PMags do.

I have yet to try to shoot from them, but I fear more issues. I think what everyone has said covers it. They'll probably work most of the time, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. And the rattling, the poor fit and finish and the aggravation of the follower having to be babied makes them about what you'd expect for $5 each. I got a few PMags from PSA a few weeks back when they had them 20 percent off. I paid about $11 for them. Even though they're 30-rounders, I should have bought more and saved my money on those Promags.