TYPE I Diabetes living...

creeky

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that

either has Type I Diabetes or their child does.

My son was diagnosed with Type I the first of October and

we are still trying to get a handle on all this.

Curious if anyone has had it since childhood and how it has

affected you now that you are older. Slowed you down any?

Stuff like that.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of suggestions, in case you have not already done this.

1. Look at your health insurance policy to see what may be available for you and your child, such as diabetic educations classes. Some policies will pay for this service. Your policy may also have benefits available for Disease Management Program. This type of program is very beneficial. If you have these benefits, talk to your physician about enrolling into these programs.

2. Look at some of the sites available on the internet. Diabetes.org is the ADA national site. Has some really good information available and is geared towards newly diagnosed diabetics. Has some interactive activities geared for young folks.

3. Ask questions. Ask questions. Ask questions. You know more about your child than anyone else. Do not be afraid to ask questions. I would also suggest your child being evaluated by an Endocrinologist, if you have already not done this.

4. For a child, an insulin pump is the best way to go, if there are no other issues. It will make adjustments in the insulin based on food intake and activity. They are very expensive, so you will need to see if you have benefits for this....

Z

Thanks Zydon!

We are already taking classes, and the insurance covers it. Not sure about "Disease Management Program" but I will look into it.

We were given a ton of information while at Vandy's Children's hospital (and they were GREAT!) and we have been reading all we can on the web. The JDRF has been a great source of info as well. Especially with getting him back into school and seeing his needs are met.

We are under the care of Vandy's Children's Diabetes Clinic and have had a Endocrinologist assigned to us. The nurses there have been great! They were reviewing his numbers daily by phone with us and now we are just calling in once a week. The doctor we got seems to be really great and easy to understand. We are fortunite in that a friend of ours daughter is Type I and is younger than my son. They have also helped us greatly.

My son is uncomfortable with the idea of a pump for now. I told him it's his decision and that if he ever wants to try it he can. Right now he has a lot on his plate for an eleven year old.

Sounds like you have some experience with this stuff. Me and my wife were really amazed at how fast word spread in our community. We contacted by several people we had never met who also had kids that were type I and wanted to offer some support and comfort to us.

Thanks again for the advice.

Vandy has an outstanding program for children with diabetes. I am an RN and work in Disease Management. I know several folks over there and they are indeed outstanding. I am sure you guys are in the "honeymoon stage" right now, but it is really good to hear your are being proactive and getting the support you need. Your right as far as the pump, he will make that decision, it just amazes me the technology advances in the treatment of diabetes in the last 20 years. If i can be of any help, please let me know and God Bless.

Z

Wow, we are blessed to have this place. We joke and poke fun and get into arguments, but when someone asks for some help or needs advise, this group is right there helping, even if they only have 4 posts!

Creeky, good luck to your son and you/wife. My prayers are with you all.

Wow, we are blessed to have this place. We joke and poke fun and get into arguments, but when someone asks for some help or needs advise, this group is right there helping,

Creeky, good luck to your son and you/wife. My prayers are with you all.

+ 1

Guest Bronker

+1 on the cohesion and maturity of this site.

Also, creeky...for what its worth, last weekend I went to the wedding of my 27 year old nephew. He is a happy, healthy, intelligent, successful man who is in the prime of health. He's been diabetic since he was 7. He brags "I have diabetes, it doesn't have me." Another of my closest friends is in her 40's, diabetic since age 10. Again, healthy, happy, successful.

Regardless, pal, God is in control, and as His word clearly says in Jeremiah: "for I know the plans that I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you; but to give you hope, and a future."

Your proactive stance as a father and eagerness to learn about, control, and carry on will tell your son, in volumes, that its gonna be ok!

His attitude about this will be a direct derivative of yours.

God bless you for being a good father.

+1 for men who are man enough to be dads.

Thanks guys!

When we first found out we really beat us down pretty quick.

We went from taking o the doctor for some minor stomach pains to going straight to the ER, and then ICU for two days.

My son has really impressed me. He is counting his carbs, checking his sugar and gives himself half of his shots. We were talking about a camp for diabetes kids and I asked him if he wanted to go. And he thought about and said no... we talked a little more and he said he didn't want to be a "diabetes Kid", he just wanted to be a kid with Diabetes. I almost burst out into tears right then.

After dealing with this for a few weeks we have a little better grasp and we don't feel so alone and out gunned. We see now that 99.9% of the stuff he wants to do he can do with no problem. Just a little planning ahead.

Thanks also for the prayers. In many ways this has made us reevaluate our priorities (yet again) and for that I am thankful. I would much rather he have to not be burdened with this, but i am grateful it is something that is manageable. Seeing those other kids in the ICU on breathing machines and tiny babies all wired up was very humbling.

Thanks guys!

When we first found out we really beat us down pretty quick.

We went from taking o the doctor for some minor stomach pains to going straight to the ER, and then ICU for two days.

My son has really impressed me. He is counting his carbs, checking his sugar and gives himself half of his shots. We were talking about a camp for diabetes kids and I asked him if he wanted to go. And he thought about and said no... we talked a little more and he said he didn't want to be a "diabetes Kid", he just wanted to be a kid with Diabetes. I almost burst out into tears right then.

After dealing with this for a few weeks we have a little better grasp and we don't feel so alone and out gunned. We see now that 99.9% of the stuff he wants to do he can do with no problem. Just a little planning ahead.

Thanks also for the prayers. In many ways this has made us reevaluate our priorities (yet again) and for that I am thankful. I would much rather he have to not be burdened with this, but i am grateful it is something that is manageable. Seeing those other kids in the ICU on breathing machines and tiny babies all wired up was very humbling.

Look up Jake Cutler Denver Bronco's QB, he was diagnosed back in the spring and might be some inspiration for your son.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface051608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Guest nraforlife
Look up Jake Cutler Denver Bronco's QB, he was diagnosed back in the spring and might be some inspiration for your son.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-thegameface051608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Jake is Type 2 diabetic not 1 and there is a difference. Hoever, diabetes DOS NOT have to run your sons life. I am Type 2 and have a full life, diet and exercise to control. I would recommend, if you haven't already, attending a diabetes class from one of your local hospitals. I chose to control mine and NOT let it control me. However, once again Type 1 is different than type 2 AND the treatment strategies are different. Best of wishes to your son, it is kinda of restrictive and sucks sometimes but the Dr's are getting better at treatment and a cure is one day going to happen....

Jake is Type 2 diabetic not 1 and there is a difference. Hoever, diabetes DOS NOT have to run your sons life. I am Type 2 and have a full life, diet and exercise to control. I would recommend, if you haven't already, attending a diabetes class from one of your local hospitals. I chose to control mine and NOT let it control me. However, once again Type 1 is different than type 2 AND the treatment strategies are different. Best of wishes to your son, it is kinda of restrictive and sucks sometimes but the Dr's are getting better at treatment and a cure is one day going to happen....

My point was moreso to be inspirational, his son has said things that he wants to be a kid with diabetes, not a diabetes kid, which told me that this kid is tough and not going to let something like this hold him back and the first personI thought of was Jake Cutler, because he is a NFL QB with diabetes, not a diabetic football player. I know nothing in regards to the differences between I and II.

Jake is Type 2 diabetic not 1 and there is a difference.

I believe your are mistaken. He is aType I Diabetic.

LINK

He was mentioned to us about twenty times at vanderbilt, and by my sons doctor before we went to the emergency room. I was joking with the doctors at Vandy about it, I told him if he didn't have Diabetes they would still be bragging about him because it is not often that a Vandy player makes it to the NFL! :censored: Most agreed.

Type I means your pancreas isn't producing insulin so you need to supplement what your body is not producing.

You are very right about how far the doctors have come. We talked to a friend of my wife's that is 67 and has had it since he was ten. It was eye opening to say the least!

Guest looneeetunes

my wife is a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed at age 13. she is now 32 yrs old. she is on a minimed insulin pump. she does fine with it. she has yearly checkups for dammage (such as vision,ect) so far she has no dammage. there is alot out there for diabetics, and i think there is still more to come. the pump has been a lifesaver for her. she still has some lows and highs, but they can be fixed quickly with the pump

Guest looneeetunes

i also meant to add no it doesnt slow her down she does anything she wants eats anything. alcohol is an exception pump or not it runs her sugar way high. in every other aspect she leads a normal life. when she was first was diagnosed they told her she could never have children. with todays advancements we have had two with no complications for her or the kids.(two is the cut-off tho i have one also and a foster child..lol)

I'm a Juvenile diabetic. Sorry been one for almost 28 years and use to saying it that way instead of Type I. I am on an insulin pump and have been for almost 8 years. Before that anywhere from 2 to 6 shots a day. I don't remember what it is like to not be one, since I was diagnosed at 3 years old, so I am usually not much help to people who found out later in life they were diabetic.

It is not bad with current technology. I am much better with the pump than I was taking shots but I still hate it. At the same time it is more convenient also. Imagine sleeping with a pager 24/7.

I do about anything I want but there are limits. And if you cross the line your body will make you pay.

If you have an specifics you can ask. I'm not very good with general questions.

Verne

+1 on the cohesion and maturity of this site.

Also, creeky...for what its worth, last weekend I went to the wedding of my 27 year old nephew. He is a happy, healthy, intelligent, successful man who is in the prime of health. He's been diabetic since he was 7. He brags "I have diabetes, it doesn't have me." Another of my closest friends is in her 40's, diabetic since age 10. Again, healthy, happy, successful.

Regardless, pal, God is in control, and as His word clearly says in Jeremiah: "for I know the plans that I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you; but to give you hope, and a future."

Your proactive stance as a father and eagerness to learn about, control, and carry on will tell your son, in volumes, that its gonna be ok!

His attitude about this will be a direct derivative of yours.

God bless you for being a good father.

+1 for men who are man enough to be dads.

+1

Guest themark712

Hi, Creeky ... I was diagnosed with Type I when I was 23 ... I'm turning 35 next month so I consider myself a veteran diabetic. :lol:

It sounds like your son has the tough part licked, and that is his attitude. The one positive thing about diabetes, as opposed to other diseases or conditions, is that you can be proactive and control it. That does, however, take a good amount of discipline and motivation. You son sounds like he's A-OK in that respect.

I would like the second the suggestion of an insulin pump. Obviously, you want to wait until he is comfortable with it, but I think once he gets into the habit of administering his own shots for a time, until it gets to be second-nature, he will warm up to the idea. I loved transitioning from 2 or 3 shots a day to 1 every 3 days.

Another key is your relationship with your physician. I had a doctor when I first moved to Nashville, who was a world-class a-hole, and his attitude did not serve to keep me motivated, and it led to some bad lab results on my part. Now, I have a doctor who is empathetic as well as a motivator, and I'm getting the best results I've had since contracting the condition. My doc is in Franklin, so if you're in that area, let me know, and I'll pass along her name.

If you have any questions or seek advice, please let me know either here or via PM. Prayers for your family, man.

Thanks again for the support guys!

"themark712"...

I feel pretty lucky with our pediatrician. He is in Franklin not 1 minute from where I work and is a super cool guy. Very proactive and he is in charge of his group. Not sure what we will do when my son out grows him.

Vandy's pediatric diabetes center is amazing! I knew they were good, I just didn't realize just how good. We had another class there today and met a couple who drove up from Alabama. When they found out how close we lived to Nashville they kept saying over and over how lucky we were.

Somtimes we feel a bit overwhelmed. So mch to learn and to get used to. We're focusing on it day by day. I feel like when my son is older he may want to try the pump.

Also wanted to say tanks to all you guys willing to talk about having Diabetes and "looneeetunes" for talking about how your wife has dealt with it. I must admit, when he was first diagnoised it was really weird. We both felt isolated, alone, and scared. Totally out gunned. (forgive the pun!:lol:) Now we are feeling like this is something we can do, and WILL do!

Guest nitrous_mike
I was wondering if there was anyone on here that

either has Type I Diabetes or their child does.

My son was diagnosed with Type I the first of October and

we are still trying to get a handle on all this.

Curious if anyone has had it since childhood and how it has

affected you now that you are older. Slowed you down any?

Stuff like that.

Thanks.

My nephew was just diagnosed around the same time, his pancreas basically just shut down one day. So far it has been ok the first week was the worst until they got his insulin sorted out, thus far they still have him on the "pen" and have been trying to keep him from going to the "pump". Best of luck to you it is hard to keep a 15 y/o on track with his diet and his diary.

Guest David Waldrip

Creeky,

I understand the reasoning of your question, and my answer is:

-everyone's "mileage" on this can vary, and

-no matter what kind of answers you get, I'm convinced that we're within striking distance of a cure. So, in the long run, the answers you get now will be somewhat different from the much better and much more positive results your son will see from medical science through his lifetime.

+1 to the fact it is in God's hands.

Your son sounds like a neat kid.

I enjoyed camp the one year I went, and wished I had started earlier. If he goes, he'll get to do all sorts of neat things, just like camp is supposed to be. In this case, the infrastructure is behind the scenes and in place to make it easy, or easier, for everyone.

Let us know how the young man does over the next few months, and feel free to PM if you'd like. Have a hunch that you and your's have already won over half of the battle.

-David

Guest Hyaloid

Creeky,

As you are finding out, what used to be a lifetime sentence to injections and severely restricted life choices, is no longer that.

While a diagnosis of Type I diabetes is certainly devastating, it sounds like you are all supremely motivated and have an excellent disposition. If you can maintain that (and there will be some hard times to come), you should do very well.

An insulin pump can make such a drastic difference in quality of life if your son is a candidate for one, I would highly recommend it.

In my field, I deal with diabetics on a daily basis. While the risk of vision loss is relatively low right now, I would begin the habit of regular (at a minimum yearly unless otherwise suggested by your doctor) eye examinations for your son. The risk of diabetic retinopathy increases the longer you live with the condition, and many times changes in the retina can be the first signal to changes in the body. It is about the only place you can actively see the vasculature of the body live and in living color. So, if it's happening in the eye, it's probably happening in other body systems.

If I can be of any help, feel free to PM me.

I am heard that a patch for "Lantus" (the 24 hour time release insulin) is

already in the final stages, and is about 10 years away from market. Which would be awesome as the Lantus occasionally burns.

(yeah we keep it room temp, vary injection sites, varied the speed of the injection, massage the skin after, etc. sometimes it burns sometimes it don't... we're thinking it has to do with the PH balance at the time of the shot since it is acid based and crystalized. Just a guess though... I'm a printer not a drug rep or lad tech.)

David Waldrip...

I'm thinking as he gets older and has had this longer he may want to try the camp. I think it would be good for him. But it will be a wait and see.

Hyaloid...

Before we left the hospital we were informed of everything else we have to watch for. Vision, circulation, dental, etc. At the time it was pretty over whelming but now it seems a little more manageable.

nitrous_mike...

We're already dreading the "teenage years". A class we took said that is a hard time for "Type I's". The body is majorly changing, hormone productions are causing blood sugar levels to vary, they are wanting more independence, etc. All the more fun for Mom and Dad. :rolleyes:

Guest nitrous_mike

Yeah the constant changes that a teenager has does make it harder, we were lucky that he managed to get a good doctor that has opened his self up to us on a personal level and given us his home/cell numbers in case we have any need to knows. Just make sure he reads any book you can get on him to help explain what he is in for. My nephew is in band so this hit him right at the busiest time of year for them so it has been hard for him to learn how to "read" his body with out having to check his blood every 5 minutes. I do not know rather it was denial or him just being hardheaded but it took a couple of scares for him to finally understand he can not skip breakfast or any meal, he was bad enough he would lie about eating. But after he went into a "daze" two days in a roll because he would lie about eating and what his sugar was he finally understood we had to know what was really going on to help him. It has finally gotten balanced out for now.

Good luck and just remember keep cool if his sugar does bottom out, just make sure you pack some snacks and a coke or two any time you go out.