My First 308

MrBrian

I may, or may not have went to the local gun shop today and picked up one of these for Christmas....

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol-mvp-patrol-762mm-nato/27742

I remember drooling at the Ruger Gun Scout when it first came out, but I never "pulled the trigger" on it, and somebody else bought it....    Since then, I haven't seen one in any shops.  Today, I found this one and pretty much feel in lust with it after holding it.   Anybody else out there have one?      

I'll post targets/video when I take it out for the first time.... hopefully before Christmas, but that depends on 1. My work schedule and 2. The weather

From my reading, I should zero it in at 200 yards, correct?

You should sight it in at the most common working distance you will be shooting. Is it a range rifle, hunting rifle, are you putting a scope on it? Usually its 100 or 200 yards and then you gather ballistic info for what you are shooting.
  • Like 1

You should sight it in at the most common working distance you will be shooting. Is it a range rifle, hunting rifle, are you putting a scope on it? Usually its 100 or 200 yards and then you gather ballistic info for what you are shooting.

Exactly. Zero it where ever you'll use it most, be that 50 yds or 500 yds.

Not sure what it'll be shot at most ...  I'd say between 25-600 yards, just shooting paper, steel, and other fun targets...   I figured if I went with a 200 yard zero, it would give me more flexability with close and far targets without a ton of compensation for bullet drop...

congrats! if that's anything like the Savage 'hog hunter' 308. get that limbsaver buttstock pad right away!

It's head and shoulders above the Savage Hog Hunter. (As it should be for the $300+ price difference). Don't worry about the limb saver, it's a pretty soft shooting 308.
I have the Hog Hunter, and a few of my friends have the Scout.
I think you'll be more than happy with the Scout. It's a great little rifle.
  • Like 1

Not sure what it'll be shot at most ... I'd say between 25-600 yards, just shooting paper, steel, and other fun targets... I figured if I went with a 200 yard zero, it would give me more flexability with close and far targets without a ton of compensation for bullet drop...

Then I'd agree that a 200 yd zero should work pretty well.
  • Like 1

Not sure what it'll be shot at most ...  I'd say between 25-600 yards, just shooting paper, steel, and other fun targets...   I figured if I went with a 200 yard zero, it would give me more flexability with close and far targets without a ton of compensation for bullet drop...

Personally I would zero at 100 yards. That way when you are dialing the scope all the adjustments are in one direction. With a 200 yard zero you might have to go below your zero for the closer shots. I know for me it can get confusing.