Does Anybody Use the Google Wallet?

I was thinking about requesting one of those Google Wallet Cards, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, or the Google Wallet in general?

We have been doing the Dave Ramsey plan for many years now, and I pretty much just spend cash for my every day purchases, such as gas or lunch, etc. It's a real pain mostly at the gas pump where I have to go in to pre-pay, then in again to get any change.

I have a Debit card, but I don't like using it very often. We had the card compromised a time or two, and since it is tied to my primary checking account, I always worry that someone could clean me out.

I opened a second checking account that I use just for online purchases. Just before I make an online purchase, I transfer just enough money from primary checking to this account. This way, if the account got hacked, it would just be an empty account.

Someone told me about the feature of the Google Wallet App that you can scan in all of your Store Loyalty cards (you know, the grocery card that gets you the discount that brings the cost down to what it should be), so I downloaded the app and entered all my cards. We'll see how that works the next time I go grocery shopping.

Looking into the feature of Google Wallet, it looks like I can transfer money from any of my accounts, or even a credit card, and then spend from the balance of my account. Similar I guess to PayPal. Some stores allow you to pay with the app, and all you do is put the phone near the card scanner. It has to be a special scanner that can read your phone. The nice thing is they also give you a Debit card that you can use at stores that don't have the scanner.

I'm thinking that instead of getting my cash "allowance" every pay day, I can just transfer that money to my Google Wallet. Since it's easy to transfer money, I'm thinking I could close out the extra bank account.

So, has anyone else ever used this service?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Google Wallet for a while now and love it. I haven't ordered the Google Wallet card because I haven't needed it. But if you link a bank account to it, there's no charge to transfer money.

The loyalty cards are great too since Google will automatically put the bar code to scan in your notification center when you walk into the store.

Google will automatically put the bar code to scan in your notification center when you walk into the store.          

Personally, this scares the #### out of me!  Sounds like your location is being monitored constantly.  If Google can track you and link the database they're building on you the "bad guys" probably can too.

Sounds like your location is being monitored constantly. If Google can track you and link the database they're building on you the "bad guys" probably can too.

Not being tin foil wearing here, but how do you think Google knows traffic conditions? Cell phone triangulation and gps data. Having an app show a notification depending on location is easy for them.

Google is hoping this takes off, and they're in competition with Apple Pay for the market for it.  With this latest "convenience" for the consumer, they have another more method of targeting advertising to you, and knowing what you just bought is a lot better than knowing what you were browsing on the internet.  Use the Google Wallet enough, and you will start seeing advertisements in your Google searches related to places you shopped not too long ago.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Google was making a small fee from transactions used through the Google Wallet.  They wouldn't need it to be huge to add up a good profit if enough people catch on.

I have a Debit card, but I don't like using it very often. We had the card compromised a time or two, and since it is tied to my primary checking account, I always worry that someone could clean me out.

I use my credit card for everything that isn't a cash withdraw from the ATM and just pay the balance every few weeks or so.  I use the analytical tools, and an excel spreadsheet to do a quick track of where I'm spending so I can pick out any trends and adjust spending as needed. 

I've never had the pleasure of identity theft, but my bank (USAA) has more than enough protections on my credit card for me to feel comfortable.  Whenever there is a data breach where your card was used, they send you a new one riki tik.  Luckily, I've only had to go through the change once. 

I'd be skeptical of a do everything card that isn't regulated by my bank, but that's just me.

Google will automatically put the bar code to scan in your notification center when you walk into the store.          

Personally, this scares the #### out of me!  Sounds like your location is being monitored constantly.  If Google can track you and link the database they're building on you the "bad guys" probably can too.

If by "bad guys" you mean our own government via the NSA, than yes.

Not being tin foil wearing here, but how do you think Google knows traffic conditions? Cell phone triangulation and gps data. Having an app show a notification depending on location is easy for them.

I always turn off my location settings by default.  Partly to save battery life, partly for privacy concerns.  The only real time trace they get from me when I'm not using the GPS to drive to a new place is through tower hits.

But yeah, it's scary how much data they get from people who willingly leave the factory default settings on. 

Not being tin foil wearing here, but how do you think Google knows traffic conditions? Cell phone triangulation and gps data. Having an app show a notification depending on location is easy for them.  - Yes, our cell phones are the basis for the system.  It's surprising how many people don't connect the dots.  I'm not planning to shut mine off and go "off the radar" but I do have privacy concerns with the path our society seems to be following.   

If by "bad guys" you mean our own government via the NSA, than yes.  -  Define "bad guys" however you choose; a lot of "hacks" appear to come from outside the USA.  Once information is stored in a database anywhere it's accessible if someone wants to try hard enough.