Reloading Labels and Organization

• Moderators

So, since it is so frigid outside, I decided to kick myself into gear for reloading again. Part of the joy of reloading is the organization aspect of it. Now, I think know that I am probably more "OCD" than most on here regarding the storage of this stuff. So I am in the process of really revamping my setup!

So, I put together the following "sheet" of labels (uses Avery 5366 at ~$.02 a label):

the .doc can be edited by you, I created the .pdf for those that may not have Microsoft Word installed. These cover the common calibers that I collect, I am providing them just as a starting point for you!

Labels .doc

Labels .pdf

Now, in my "preparation" process I have three steps:

1) Sorting

2) Depriming (using Lee Precision Decapping Die)

3) Tumbling

Thus, my label use order obviously is "Unprocessed", "De-primed", and then "Tumbled". Depending on your order, I could see how some of you would instead go "Unprocessed", "Tumbled", and then "De-primed".

Now, I am considering purchasing something like Brother PC Connectable Labeling System (PT2730). However, I don't really even know if that would be worth it other than possibly more durable labels. So that is on the last of the list as a possibility. I will probably end up sticking with the Avery 5366 until I have a reason to purchase a label maker.

Now, I have various little bins and bags for sorting and processing the brass. What I'm interested in are methods for bulk storing large amounts of brass long term.

My current thoughts are to either buy a vacuum sealer or possibly just a bag sealer like this one:

8" (200mm) Impulse Manual Bag Sealer Heat Seal Closer + Free KIT

You can buy different size bags and then use that sealer to heat seal the open edge. Or I may just go with Ziploc bags. But the idea of heat sealing them sounds fun! This would also double as an excellent way (I presume) to store loaded ammo in little bags of 100.

After they are bagged I'm thinking of putting them into some sort of cardboard boxes. That's something that is stackable easily and can be easily sealed (with packaging tape) and then labeled accordingly (example: 9mm NATO, 5000 pieces). All of the brass that goes into this form of storage will be ready to be loaded.

Now, some of this is mainly for brass that I plan on reloading someday but have no use for currently. I guess to a certain extent I just wanted to create an interesting project to go along with reloading/storage. Of course I already have some of the cheap $.79 containers from target that I use for sorting/processing, but they spill when you drop them and the lid pops off. That's why I am considering something a bit more robust and flexible.

I could skip the process of bagging the brass for storage if the consensus is that the possibility of the cardboard absorbing moisture and then tarnishing the brass long term is not an issue. Here I am talking about possibly years worth of storage until I buy a firearm of that caliber.

(as a sidenote, if the "JUNK NOBODY USES" label insults you because you may use a caliber that is not on my sheet, please understand that I created that label because of people like you that use .32 S&W L or something like that. Yes, I will pick your brass up at the range, decap it, and then store/sell it, but I just cannot bring myself to throw it away. Thus, I needed a label.)

(as a sidenote II, "SCRAP BRASS" is primarily .22lr and then casings that are damaged. I don't yet know whether it will actually even be worth the time, but currently I am taking any brass casings that I nor anyone else can reload and sticking them in here. Theoretically someday I will take them to be scrapped. Research shows it should bring $.80+ a pound. So if I save up 50lbs of it, I could get $40 for it. Guess I prefer this to just trashing it since it takes equal amount of time to place it in the "SCRAP BRASS" container as it is to trash it.)

So, what are your thoughts and ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where there are scrap yards for metals. I always have scrap brass lying around and I could turn into cash to use for new brass. 

The one thing I label is my powder dispensers since I have around 6 of them. I keep my mt powder cans in case I change powders but 6 just 

isn't enough to keep them stocked with powders I use to reload. 

Everyone has seen the outcomes of using the wrong powder in a case, like pistol powder in rifle cases. DOH!

Yer .pdf appears to be working but yer .doc does't appear to do anything.

Edited by Lowpower
  • Moderators

I'm not sure where there are scrap yards for metals. I always have scrap brass lying around and I could turn into cash to use for new brass. 

The one thing I label is my powder dispensers since I have around 6 of them. I keep my mt powder cans in case I change powders but 6 just 

isn't enough to keep them stocked with powders I use to reload. 

Everyone has seen the outcomes of using the wrong powder in a case, like pistol powder in rifle cases. DOH!

Yer .pdf appears to be working but yer .doc does't appear to do anything.

Odd. The .doc works for me. Perhaps it is because I saved it using Word 2013? That's why I included the .pdf, I figured it would offer less hassle.

Although I don't stop in the middle of loading a caliber and start another, here's what I put on the boxes before I put them away.

9mm Luger

124gr RGR rn plated

3.8gr solo 1000

2/15

Edited by Ray Z

For brass, loaded ammo, or both? Do you feel it is a good setup and worth it? I guess it makes good sense to double it for use in the kitchen.

Usually just for brass.  Loaded ammo does not last long enough to seal it.  :)  I tend to process brass about once a year and then seal it up in bags of 250-500 and open them as needed.   I've got about 5-6k of 9/40/45/357 so I'll shoot through it all, clean, bag up, and reload when I need it.