Why do I do this?

alingo2001

Twice now I've had very nice pistols (Springfield EMP and a Sig 229 Elite Stainless)and end up selling or trading because I hate having that much in a gun. Now I have a brand new 226 Tacops in 9mm and I'm thinking about selling or trading towards a couple of cheaper 9mm handguns.

Twice now I've had very nice pistols (Springfield EMP and a Sig 229 Elite Stainless)and end up selling or trading because I hate having that much in a gun. Now I have a brand new 226 Tacops in 9mm and I'm thinking about selling or trading towards a couple of cheaper 9mm handguns.

YOUR NOT ALONE.  I'VE DONE THIS A FEW TIMES WHEN I SEE MONEY SITTING IN A GUN I DON'T USE. THEN I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO SELL IT.

• Like 1

Your not the only one that has this problem for sure. I have sold several guns I wish I had back. Now days If I get ready to sell a gun I will get it out of the safe and leave it out for several days where I can see it often. That helps me make up my mind  whether to sell it or put it back in the safe................ :2cents:

I solved that problem a long time ago. I just don't go for expensive guns anymore. If I decide I want to sell or trade something for something else, it's normally about a wash concerning price/value. Even then, a lot of the time it's between myself and some friends anyway. Of course when you do that, sometimes what you sent away comes back around. For example, there's a nice Smith 686 no-dash out there that's gone from somewhere else - to a good friend of mine - to me - to another friend of mine - and it's coming back to me pretty soon. It won't go anywhere after it gets home to me. Even though it's nice, I didn't give a lot for it. But I know that it I were to get the fever and go out and buy something like a nice Springfield TRP for example, I know myself well enough to know that it wouldn't be too long before I'd start thinking about the money tied up in that one, and how I could take that and get a couple GOOD guns that I would actually use. So, instead, when I need something say in the handgun arena, I'll look for something like a CZ or Glock or a good revolver - anything with good quality and reliability but NOT overpriced. Don't get me wrong, I've had 1911s, SIGs, HKs, and they were good guns, but they didn't serve me personally any better than the Glocks or CZs or 357s. It is OH-SO-EASY to get the shaking fever for a great gun, and there's nothing wrong with that. But at some point you might just decide to run with what serves your personal needs the best and just stick with that. Just something to think about since I've done the very same things myself. 

All this sounds familiar.  Several years ago I worked with a guy who was always finding something "new to him".  Fortunately the "new" would wear off in about 3-4 months and he would get the itch for something else.  When he was in these moods I was always ready to take his cast-off toy home with me.  Got several nice toys from him that I still have.  

My wife has a hand-me-down S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman in pristine condition that her father gave her years ago.  There's hardly a mark on it and the action is as tight as a Bill Clinton alibi.  It's simply too big to carry and I've got other less expensive defense guns for the house that I can treat any way I please.    It's killing me that I can't sell it.

• Administrator

If you're buying something beyond your budgetary means, then I can understand the idea and also think you should save until you can afford to buy something without jeopardizing other responsibilities.  That way you don't end up with buyer's remorse.

BUT, if you're not doing that... it sounds like you're not really in love with whatever handguns you are selling, because a person who is truly happy with an item regardless of price probably isn't going to part with it very easily.

*shrug*

Your not the only one that has this problem for sure. I have sold several guns I wish I had back. Now days If I get ready to sell a gun I will get it out of the safe and leave it out for several days where I can see it often. That helps me make up my mind  whether to sell it or put it back in the safe................ :2cents:

I gotta remember this next time I go to sell something!!! Of course then I'd never sell anything