Assault at Riverdale High School

Wow. I'm most surprised that the article didn't mention what color the student's skin was and reference another situation that had similar circumstances but no bearing whatsoever on this situation.

Seriously though unless the kid got the jump on the coach I would bet he was afraid to fight back for fear of being sued.

Seems like the student caught the coach in his office and just went ballistic.  It appears (right now at least) none of the football team was around.  If they were, the outcome would have been different--they would have stepped up and protected their coach. 

• Authorized Vendor

Unfortunately in today's society, parents wont discipline their children to make them understand that beating someone in the face because they cant get on a team is not acceptable and can be hazardous to their health. I wish the teacher would have throttled the crap out of the punk.Parents should be accountable, and responsible for their children's ill behavior.

I found this in the comments section and they are right. This coach should prosecute the kid to the full extent of the law and sue the parents and anyone else a lawyer can find to hold accountable.

• Like 4

Seems like the student caught the coach in his office and just went ballistic.  It appears (right now at least) none of the football team was around.  If they were, the outcome would have been different--they would have stepped up and protected their coach.

I think that we would have come to the aid of our coach, not that he would have needed it. That was one of the toughest and meanest human beings I have ever known and was about the only person I feared in high school. Staying in his program for for years had a lot to do with building the character and work ethic I possess today.
My senior year in high school our football coach was a real jerk. Lousy coach too... He was about 6'3" and I'm guessing about 265 and was in freakishly good shape. Ex-college lineman who didn't get soft.

We were not a very good program and near the end of the season at a pep rally a couple of senior boys started heckling the coach when he was speaking. He set the mike down and walked over to the bleachers and asked them to repeat what they'd said. They did and he just exploded up through the bleachers. He looked like a human bowling ball. Both of the boys bailed off the upper back row of the bleachers and took off. I'd never seen anyone that big move that fast.

Anyway, one of the kids quit school (already was a loser kid). The other one's dad heard about the event and "counseled" his kid when he got home. The next day father and son showed up at school where the son apologized and then offered to apologize again in front of the student body at the next pep rally. The coach accepted the apology and that was the end of it. That kid was one of my friends. He was a pretty good guy in general who learned a big lesson about not biting off more than he could chew.

Could you imagine that happening today? The dad would probably be brought up on charges and the coach would have been fired and arrested. Instead, a young man grew up a bit and learned a bit of right and wrong. We still laugh about it to this day...

I hope the coach heals up ok. Thug boy better watch his 6. The team will catch him out somewhere and administer their own justice.
  • Like 1