SLR's alternative ambi-charging handle to the Raptor

The Raptor raptor charging handle has always appeared to me as a popular ambi-charging handle. It's very tacticool and expensive. They are nice, I had one on my old AR. However, on my first true build I wanted to get one but didn't want to spend $85-90 on one part that only serves to improve the rifle's "look". So instead I decided to try out the SLR Renegade. And I don't regret it.

This charging is ambi (if you like your rifle to swing both ways), latchless, and a less expensive alternative to the Raptor. Both the Raptor and the SLR Renegade weigh about the same (1.4oz), are ambidextrous, and give the rifle a different look and feel. The latchless feature of the Renegade is interesting; instead, this charging handle utilizes a detent bearing to catch into the receiver. Only time will tell weather this was good purchase or not. Plus, I need to hit the friggin' range now that I have this and a new muzzle device.

4gvvqu8p4l6368gzg.jpg

kmmuuq940c1aenazg.jpg

5axd4yzx2b75f3zzg.jpg

• Moderators

Is this a gen 1 or a gen 2 model? The gen 1s got pretty poor reviews due to the use of a solid detent instead of a roller ball detent. It apparently caused excessive wear on the upper and was prone to causing bloody noses when it wasn't too tight to engage.

So, update again down the road after using it a while. I'm interested to see if your opinion changes.

How much did this cost? I shoot rifles lefty so I have to get ambi charging handles.

Looked at the raptor but the price was to high. Ended up with the Bravo Company Gunfighter ambi. Ran about $65 which was still high but bearable. Still have 2 builds in need of CH's so this might work if the price is right.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have one on a 7.62x39 AR.  Every once in awhile it pops loose and hits my nose on the last shot from the mag.  Not enough to bloody it, but the first couple times it was rather surprising.  It sort of makes me wonder if it is coming loose every shot, but as long as the bolt moves back toward battery it grabs it and locks it forward.

I have one on a 7.62x39 AR.  Every once in awhile it pops loose and hits my nose on the last shot from the mag.  Not enough to bloody it, but the first couple times it was rather surprising.  It sort of makes me wonder if it is coming loose every shot, but as long as the bolt moves back toward battery it grabs it and locks it forward.

That's weird. Sound like the gas key is catching it when the carrier cycles.

How much did this cost? I shoot rifles lefty so I have to get ambi charging handles.

Looked at the raptor but the price was to high. Ended up with the Bravo Company Gunfighter ambi. Ran about $65 which was still high but bearable. Still have 2 builds in need of CH's so this might work if the price is right.

I run a BCM ambi latch myself on my main AR. I really like it, especially given the price of comparable ambi latches. I am not sure I will ever run anything else.

• Like 1

I run a BCM ambi latch myself on my main AR. I really like it, especially given the price of comparable ambi latches. I am not sure I will ever run anything else.

I'm in the same boat. With this other one costing about the same, I'll stick with the gunfighter.