Shade tree Mechanicing

So when you ride and drive half running junk you learn your fair share of tricks. Let me preface this by saying I've been to automotive school, I'm ASE certified and I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps as a helicopter mechanic. So I know the right way to do it. But sometimes you need the cheap and fast way to do it lol. Last night on the way to work my master cylinder got hit by a gravel from a truck and it put a hole in the already rotted sight window. So this morning I pried out the rotted sight window, and then the retaining ring. Drop in a dime against the oring, tap the retainer back in, then seal with super glue, which for some reason is brake fluid resistant. Anyways, thought I would share as this might help someone in the future. And don't fret, I have an eBay special master cylinder on the way so this one isn't permanent, but it'll hold for a while.

20150702_063255_zpsx0zqgonz.jpg

Sent from the backwoods

• Like 3

Great idea, so is a dime allowing you stop your 1 1/2 ton vehicle don a dime? And without your ten cents, you will not be able to stop? :rofl:

Lmfao. 650 lbs, it's on a motorcycle

Oil level sight glass on the bike? Nice fix. Did it leak much oil out?

Sight glass on the front master cylinder. It leaked most of the brake fluid in the cylinder all over my right glove.

Sent from the backwoods

Lmfao. 650 lbs, it's on a motorcycle
Sight glass on the front master cylinder. It leaked most of the brake fluid in the cylinder all over my right glove.

Sent from the backwoods

Wow. Talk about the magic bullet... Good thing it didn't hit your hand, I bet that would've hurt.

I had a drain plug on my primary depart my bike while on a group ride, I found out after the guy behind let me know he was getting crop dusted with oil. 

A local tree donated a branch that got whittled down and screwed in. It held for over a year and was still holding when I finally replaced it.

Good idea with the dime! 

Wow. Talk about the magic bullet... Good thing it didn't hit your hand, I bet that would've hurt.

Yeah probably would have broke a finger. I heard it hit and considering my pipes, that means it hit freaking hard.

Sent from the backwoods

A salute to all the Shade Tree Mechanics out there  :up:

If we did everything by the factory service manuals it would take at least three times as long and cost three times as much.

Back in 1999 I wanted to put headers on my Camaro but did not have access to a lift. With only floor jacks and jack stands I was not able to get the car the needed 30" safely off the ground. Since I could not go up I went down. I dug a 3' hole in my yard and pushed the car over the hole. The real feat of the whole effort was getting my wife to lay in the hole and hold the header in place while I bolted it on  :)

• Like 3