Clay Target Shooters

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did for about 6 years but I'm trying to get back into it now.

Once it gets in your blood it's hard to get away from. As much as I don't want to like it it is the only thing that makes me relax. Shooting is that way generally but trap, skeet, and sporting clays are where (at the moment) I am at home.

My daughter shoots Trap with SCTP, ATA and a little International with USAS. I mostly carry and pay for stuff :)

I will be trying my first ATA singles match this weekend. Should be good for a chuckle.

She shoots a 682 Gold Trap. I got her hand me down, an 1100 Trap.

I shot Sport Clays before I moved from Western NY and really enjoy it but am not very good. I haven't found a good place to shoot since I moved. Nearest I have found with Sport Clays so far is up in Bristol VA and that is about an hour away. After the dust settles a bit more from the move I will have to look harder. An hour would not be to bad once in awhile.  May have to try skeet or trap.

Mostly trap with ATA.  Singles and handicap.   Shoot Big 50 each week at Kettlefoot, and then monthly 300 bird events at Kfoot and Morristown.  Also catch the events at Hog Heaven (White Pine), the Dogwood over at Bostic NC, as well as other ATA shoots at Bostic and Spartanburg SC.  Made it to three state shoots this year (KY, NC and SC), and will have about 7000 total birds by end of Aug (end of ATA year).  Presently shooting a Citori XT Trap, but have a Remington 90-T waiting in the wings.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.shootatatn.com

http://www.shootata.com

No more local matches until Mid-September though.

Depending on how old your girls are:

http://www.tnsctp.org

Most of the area high schools seem to have a team. My daughter started two years ago as a freshman and loves it. Some of the area teams start them younger. We have a 8th grader on the team this year.

She took SCTP Varsity Lady this weekend at Maury Co. Just two targets out of first over-all. Where I managed to score a whopping 80 and according to the score keeper was in first place for shooting most falling targets :) I tend to wait a while to pull the trigger.

Have they taken the Hunter's Education Course? Some of the area fields require this to be able to shoot. I know Henry Horton does.

You might check with 4H. My neighbors home school and mentioned that one of his boys shot Trap with 4H a couple of years ago.

We try to get to together with her friends/team mates once a month at Henry Horton to shoot a few relaxed rounds. Let me know if you are interested and I can let you know next time we go. I just started shooting trap myself a couple of months ago and it is nice to have a relaxed group to practice with.

Daughters are 14 and 17. Homeschooling, so high school team not an option.

Congrats. That's awesome.

I don't think that hinders the ability to join an SCTP team. The individual teams might have their own rulings though if they are associated with a certain school.

I don't think that hinders the ability to join an SCTP team. The individual teams might have their own rulings though if they are associated with a certain school.

It does. It depends on if the team is associated with the school and what the rules for the school district. There are a few more rules but I honestly don't give two ***** since I don't have to shoot it any more. Edited by shotgunshooter

I shoot trap and skeet when it's not 212 degrees and 101% humidity outside  :ugh:

Shot an ATA at Morristown a couple of weeks ago in these conditions.  It will flat take the starch outta yer shorts.