Would like input on purchasing a bolt action rifle

Pete123

I may. Picked one up in the store yesterday and it felt great. The 2 stage trigger was very nice, not sure the poundage on it though.

Only thing is, since I want this for target shooting I would want to step up to the Varmint series with the heavy barrel which is a bit more expensive.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguard-varmint-special.html

I handled a Savage 10 FCP-SR while there as well. Great looking rifle and it is a Savage, but the stock is not very comfortable.

Who knows, I may keep my 111 in 30-06 and pick up one of the Ruger Americans in 6.5 Creedmoor....

Will you be ok with the trigger on an American?  I tested on and was fine with it.  I read several articles slamming the trigger on the M77.  They went on to say that the American has a better trigger than the M77, though not as good as some others.

I'm really funny about triggers, though as mentioned, I was fine with it.  I read a lot of really positive comments about the Americans.

I could have purchased a left hand (I'm left handed) M77 with a nice walnut stock that was on sale for the same price I paid for the savage.  After reading what people had to say about the trigger and the difficulty of adjusting it I knew I would rather the Savage trigger.

Another thing I think about when buying a gun is whether it's important enough to me to spurge on a really nice one.

One of these days I'll get a bolt action with a gorgeous wood stock.  I just bought one with a wood stock, though at this point I don't have the money or desire to get a really nice one.  

Edited by Pete123

I've dry fired two Americans and was fine with the trigger on both. Going with the Creedmoor means another caliber to reload - different powders and another bullet size to stock. It would be strictly a limited target shooting rifle as I wouldn't need it for hunting.

I've pretty much made up my mind I am ditching the 30-06 and going to a .308, just have to figure out which one. .308 would be a bit cheaper to reload (less powder), I already have a bunch of bullets, and it is a bit easier to shoot accurately (less recoil). The 6.5 Creedmoor would just be a bonus since the Ruger American series is not that expensive and reviews are generally favorable on the model.

Of the two you originally mentioned, I would also go with the Savage.  I have never owned a Savage, but the few I have shot really did shoot well. 

Although it has not received any mention and I know there is some hate for them, my 308 is a Remington 700 AAC-SD.  My only complaint about it is the stock is not as solid and rigid as I would like, and I don't have a suppressor to screw on the end of it. 

As for the stock, I recently filled the butt of it with lead and silicone.  It gives the gun a better balance, and it keeps the stock from sounding hollow.  I have not shot it yet, but I suspect it will tame the recoil a hair.  Regardless of what you decide on, you may consider doing the same, especially if it is going to primarily be a range toy. 

Thanks Dats82.  I'm not a big recoil fan and what you described is a good idea to reduce that.

Jonathan,  You mentioned moving to the .308.  I'm trying to standardize on 5.56 and .308 for rifles.  I think the 270 may have a flatter trajectory, though I expect the 308 be fine for me.  I just picked up 500 rounds of quality 308 for $300 plus $31 shipping.

On pistols I'm trying to standardize on 9mm and .45

Of the two you originally mentioned, I would also go with the Savage. I have never owned a Savage, but the few I have shot really did shoot well.

Although it has not received any mention and I know there is some hate for them, my 308 is a Remington 700 AAC-SD. My only complaint about it is the stock is not as solid and rigid as I would like, and I don't have a suppressor to screw on the end of it.

As for the stock, I recently filled the butt of it with lead and silicone. It gives the gun a better balance, and it keeps the stock from sounding hollow. I have not shot it yet, but I suspect it will tame the recoil a hair. Regardless of what you decide on, you may consider doing the same, especially if it is going to primarily be a range toy.

I'll 2nd the Remmy AAC-SD. Love mine and if you want to think aftermarket, there ain't more out there than there is for the 700s. I also agree though that the stock is crap on this model but I ditched mine for a Bell & Carlson Target Medalist and it became one helluva shooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Howa 1500 Ranchland 308 with 20" barrel and added a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x40 scope to replace the Osprey 3-12x50 that was on it.  I sighted it in at 100 yds. Shot several 3 shot groups less than 3/4" at 100 yds off a bench with the new scope. The previous owner had added the 10 rd detachable magazine conversion. This will be my bolt action set-up in 308. Wish I had room to try the dead-hold BDC reticle at 200 - 400 yds.