Any Members of Unaka Rod & Gun Club on TGO

Jeb48

Looking for a member of Unaka Rod & Gun Club in Johnson City that would be willing to give me a tour of the club. I plan to join but wanted to see the place first. 

I'm new to the area and live South of Jonesborough.

Jim...

Well, if you're going to consider faraway clubs like Kettlefoot, you should also consider Cherokee Rod and Gun Club on the outskirts of Kingsport, which is quite a bit closer to you. For $95 a year you get two trap ranges, two skeet ranges, two rifle and pistol ranges (300 yard max on one, 240 yards max on the other) two archery ranges, 5 Stand, and a catfish pond. After attending a two hour safety walkthrough you're given a gate card and you can shoot completely unsupervised from sunup to sundown, with the shotgun ranges mandatorily closed at 10 P.M. On Sunday you can't shoot before noon and the rifle and pistol ranges close down at 5 PM. I've been there for 14 years and consider it one of the best recreational values around, although I have a lot of respect for Unaka and Kettlefoot as well.

Edited by EssOne

I am considering Kettlefoot because of their Sport Clay course. I am not good at Sport Clays but enjoy the randomness of the clays and would like to get better. I figure Kettlefoot is at least an hour away so it would be a once in awhile trip. Might consider Cherokee but Unaka would be close enough to go more often if it has enough other things and it is cheap for old farts.

Where is Kettlefoot?

Yeah, less than a mile across the state line.  Hosts IDPA every fourth Saturday, USPSA every third Saturday, ATA 300-bird every fourth Saturday, ATA Big 50 every Thursday, skeet and 5-stand leagues on Tuesday, and a ton of rimfire and IR 50/50 matches, including an indoor .22 leagues throughout the winter.  300 yd centerfire range (approx 50 stations), 12 plinking ranges, 4 trap/skeet fields (all are lit for night shooting), 100 bird sporting clays course, 5-stand course open 24/7, a 25 & 50 yard pistol target range (approx 25 stations), 50 yd/50 meter rimfire range (60 stations), and an archery range.  All ranges are available for members' use anytime during the week unless there is a scheduled event/match occurring on that field.  Come up sometime - you'll be glad you did!

Edited by GKar
  • Like 1