550B tiny brass shavings?

Just setup my Dillon 550B for 9mm tonight, and after loading several rounds, I notices some very tiny brass shavings on the shellplate and I couldn't tell where they were coming from....  does this mean my resizing die is set too deep?  Or is it normal?   The resizing die seems to give the most resistance when pulling the handle down, so that's why I suspected it, and I'm using a random array of once fired cleaned brass if that helps

Just setup my Dillon 550B for 9mm tonight, and after loading several rounds, I notices some very tiny brass shavings on the shellplate and I couldn't tell where they were coming from....  does this mean my resizing die is set too deep?  Or is it normal?   The resizing die seems to give the most resistance when pulling the handle down, so that's why I suspected it, and I'm using a random array of once fired cleaned brass if that helps

I won't answer anything technical because I just started on the same press last night (congrats by the way). But, I had the same thing and mostly from brass that had been crimped and it was shaving a tiny piece off as I press in the new primer. I could feel that it was a little bit tighter when pressing the primer in, but not hard. I've just been keeping an eye on the area around the area where the new primer comes in at the shell plate and removing any grit or slivers of brass. I am not trying to go fast at all, hell I am pulling each case out and making sure the primer is inserted correctly even though it feels good. I'm just making sure each step is correct until I get used to the feel. There are tons of people on here who know reloading inside and out, they'll be along soon to answer in more depth and proper terminology, I'm still learning it all myself.

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

Depends on how much you're having to size back.  I've resized some brass fired from very loose chambers and you will get some shaving, especially if you're light on the lube.  

Just do a double check and keep an eye on it.  

Even on pistol? I would have expected this with rifle, maybe, but since he mentioned 9mm I chimed in.

I thought the same thing, I'm using carbide dies, so I wasn't using case lube, but I'll give it a try to see if it cuts down on the shavings....   it's nothing excessive, just a few tiny specks about the size of a granule of ball powder, but I guess it could be a problem if you load hundred of rounds without dusting off the shell plate

Depends on how much you're having to size back.  I've resized some brass fired from very loose chambers and you will get some shaving, especially if you're light on the lube.  

Just do a double check and keep an eye on it.  

Ditto!

I thought the same thing, I'm using carbide dies, so I wasn't using case lube, but I'll give it a try to see if it cuts down on the shavings....   it's nothing excessive, just a few tiny specks about the size of a granule of ball powder, but I guess it could be a problem if you load hundred of rounds without dusting off the shell plate

Then you probably ain't got a problem.
  • Like 2

I have had this problem when the case is being over belled in the charging station. When the case goes into the crimping die it will rub on the sides of the crimping die and rub off small shavings. I don't think it will hurt anything except that you may need to clean out the crimping die more often.