My .308 bolt gun

TNMTBik3r

Got this completed and I am happy with it! Now just to get some SMKs and start testing loads....

Savage 10T - this is a Cabela's exclusive, basically the 10FCP-SR but without the threaded barrel. 24" 5R heavy barrel, accu-stock, accu-trigger (very light break). Tactical bolt. Came with a 4 round magazine and I ordered an extra 10 round from Savage.

Came with an EGW 0moa base. I took it off and replaced with a Seekins Precision 20moa base.

The Seekins rings were sold out when I ordered, so went with the Vortex Precision Matched low rings (made by Seekins, were basically the same price).

Harris 6-9" bipod, notched legs.

I debated over a scope, was leaning towards a Vortex PST 6-24x50 as I think they are excellent quality and a great price. But I kept researching and called SWFA to get their opinion on the Vortex vs a Leupold VX-3 vs a Zeiss Conquest HD5. They suggested the Sightron SIII which had popped up in my research multiple times, people saying it was a much higher quality glass than Vortex.

SWFA had a demo model of the Sightron 6-24x50 MOA for a great price so I snapped it up. 30MM MOA/MOA non-illuminated (model SIIISS624X50LRMOA).

I took it out today after mounting everything and put 60 rounds through it. Using the bipod and a rear bag I dialed in at 100 yards (a couple groups below using PMC 147gr, Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr and 175gr) and then rang some steel at 300 yards. Now I just need to get some loads worked up and more range time.

I still have 10 of the 175gr Gold Medal Match and will try to get some reloads done before next range trip. But I plan to take my Caldwell front bag and use it instead of the bipod to get a truer feel for what the rifle will group at.

IMG_20150921_143054.jpgIMG_20150921_143016.jpgIMG_20150921_143005.jpgIMG_20150921_142957.jpg

Shooting groups off of the bipod and Caldwell rear bag at 100 yards.

PMC 147gr FMJ, 5 shots:

IMG_20150921_163346.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr (Sierra Match King), 5 shot group:

IMG_20150921_163306.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr, 5 shot group:

IMG_20150921_163329.jpg

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr, 10 shot group:

IMG_20150921_163238.jpg

• Like 3
I knew going with a Savage I would have excellent out of the box accuracy. Very pleased so far and sure the groups will shrink as I tailor some loads for it.

I almost went with a Remington 700, but even though it is a strong action their quality issues over the past several years scared me away. I didn't want to buy a rifle and immediately have to sink a few hundred more into getting a decent barrel.
I handled a SPS with the 26" heavy barrel and it was way too heavy and unbalanced.

This Savage is light enough to carry around if needed and balances great with everything mounted.
  • Like 1

Very nice! I don't have one yet, but am becoming a Savage fan based on all the first hand accounts like yours I've read.

I'm wanting to start small, however, with this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/71899/savage_mkiifvsr_22lr_threaded_bbl

I imagine that thing with a can and some subsonics would be a hoot!

My next purchase too! Great choice!
Neat video/review: https://youtu.be/S4zeiEwVePU

Got this completed and I am happy with it! Now just to get some SMKs and start testing loads....

Savage 10T - this is a Cabela's exclusive, basically the 10FCP-SR but without the threaded barrel. 24" 5R heavy barrel, accu-stock, accu-trigger (very light break). Tactical bolt. Came with a 4 round magazine and I ordered an extra 10 round from Savage.

Good looking rifle, I have one of the 10FCP-SR's with a Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50mm on it and I love it. Hard to go wrong with a Savage.
  • Like 1

My next purchase too! Great choice!
Neat video/review: https://youtu.be/S4zeiEwVePU

Ditto
Thanks for that video link! I had read the stock was flimsy, but holy crap I didn't expect that bad! I might just order the stock at the same time and change it out before I even sight in the gun. :/

Edit to add:

Found it!
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/434121y1c116_rimfire-varmint-thumbhole-savage-mkii-bull-barrel-channel-stock-sky-finished Edited by musicman