hunting with ar

Guest Jcochran88

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88
That would be illegal in Tn unless they have changed the law just recently. Minimum caliber for deer in TN is .24 the last time I read.

law has changed strait from twra website" any centerfire rifle may be used"

Guest Astra900

Well, in that case. I'd try Hornady's TAP. THey make a 60g polymer tip bullet that should make a good clean kill, if well placed.

Thier 55g V-Max would probably work well too.

or...... just get a 6.8 SPC and get in touch with Silver State Armory. I personally think (unless you can hit exactly where you aim, I can't consistently) that the .223 is very underpowered for deer. A lot of folks use it, heck I even have heard of them using .22's but I think it is very borderline humane.

I wouldn't recommend it. The .223 is a great round for its intended purpose (punching holes in the enemy). It was never designed to be a knock-down round. If you kill a man you take him out of the fight. If you wound a man you take him and however many people it takes to help him out of the fight. This has been a basic military principle for many years, probably why they did away with the 1911. Anyway back to the topic. It is certainly possible to kill a deer with the .223 but it is too fast to really open up the cavity and cause massive hemmoraging. In hunting the bigger is better rule applies to bullet size and weight.

I wouldn't recommend it. The .223 is a great round for its intended purpose (punching holes in the enemy). It was never designed to be a knock-down round. If you kill a man you take him out of the fight. If you wound a man you take him and however many people it takes to help him out of the fight. This has been a basic military principle for many years, probably why they did away with the 1911. Anyway back to the topic. It is certainly possible to kill a deer with the .223 but it is too fast to really open up the cavity and cause massive hemmoraging. In hunting the bigger is better rule applies to bullet size and weight.

Thats why you learn to roll your own. Go with as big of a bullet as you can and use a slow burning powder. A 75 gr AMAX and 22.5 gr of Varget is an excellent choice.

447990.jpg

Edited by sling
Guest Todd@CIS
Well, in that case. I'd try Hornady's TAP. THey make a 60g polymer tip bullet that should make a good clean kill, if well placed.

Thier 55g V-Max would probably work well too.

I recommend against the 60gr TAP for deer...it under-penetrates (the 75gr TAP is the ONLY .223 in the TAP line that's worth a crap).

Growing up in Wisconsin, I've taken several decent-sized whitetail with Federal 69gr HP Match using a 20" Colt.

While .223 is not an optimum caliber for deer, load selection will make a difference.

Edited by Todd@CIS

IIRC, you should use a 5-shot mag.

Winchester's 64 gr Power Point is designed to meet your needs.

The 223 is appropriate for use when a precise shot can be made. At distances most Tn deer are shot, the gun will work for you.

A precision shot made with the 223 beats the 30/06 if you flinch.;)

The advice on the heavy bullets, 75 and 64 grain, is excellent. If you don't reload, purchase the Winchester ammunition with the 64 grain bullet. If you reload, then you probably know that it is important to match the bullet to the barrel's twist rate.

I have found that the heavier bullets work well in my 1 in 9 twist rate up to the 69 grain Sierra BTHP but, for hunting I use the Sierra 63 grain BTSP. This bullet, with the right powder and primer combination will produce 1" or better groups.

When i did hunt with my AR the above load is what i used and it produced awesome results. Though it really didnt make much since. The AR i had had a 1:9 twist barrel. Couldnt shoot 69 gr bullets worth a damn... however it would tack drive the 75 gr AMAX's with a heavy powder load all day long. It was amazing.

The problem with the heavier bullets is that they are a lot longer and shouldnt be seated to mag length. (due to pressure issues blah blah blah). So, if your going to be shooting in a 'big boy' weight you have to load them one by one into the chamber. (IE you better make your shot count)

Guest specialagent

I shot an scrub 8 pointer last week and dropped him where he stood with 1 shot to the neck at 110 yards. I was using Extreem Shock 223 55 grain ammo.

IMG00028.jpg

I shot an scrub 8 pointer last week and dropped him where he stood with 1 shot to the neck at 110 yards. I was using Extreem Shock 223 55 grain ammo.

I'm surprised the Extreme Shock bullet didn't make your buck's neck explode!:tough:

I'm surprised the Extreme Shock bullet didn't make your buck's neck explode!:)

Not just that... but i'm surprised it didnt blow away the whole forest and everything with it with a small nuclear explosion.

Guest specialagent
Not just that... but i'm surprised it didnt blow away the whole forest and everything with it with a small nuclear explosion.

When I pulled the trigger I was worried that if the shot was not placed properly the deer would not leave a blood trail. I was proud of the shot placement and did not have to worry after the trigger was pulled. Anywho I got the meat in the freezer that was tho whole point.