Interested in reloading but...

I started reloading when I switched to limited division in USPSA.  I had been buying wally-world 9mm to shoot in production through a Glock and couldn't bring myself to do the same in a custom .40.  In retrospect I should have reloaded for 9mm earlier for the simple fact I can tailor the load to the gun and recoil I wanted and done even better in production.  Bottom line (not upfront), get a reloading setup and don't look back.  It's a nice thing to be able to tailor your rounds how you choose to.  It's even better when you realize you're low and just walk to the press and crank out a few hundred rounds without having to leave the house.

Jonnin, I do not plan to buy any more projectiles but rather make my own. I pretty much try to load with universal powders like Power Pistol which is a wonderful powder for 10mm and even 38 spl. Fortunately, Power Pistol has been one of those that has stayed available. The cost of dies are a one time type deal. If i had a progressive or turret press with plates it may make changing calibers more of an aggrevation. I do not even bother with gauges; I just drop them in a barrel since I have extras. Another aggravation is having to adjust the powder dispenser when jumping between calibers. I normally load one caliber for several months straight and only swap out after a couple of thousand rounds which lately has been 6-12 months.

Extra turrets for mine were like 10 or so dollars each -- I can swap calibers in about 3 seconds.   Changing powder is another 30 seconds to swap the disk.  My gear is sort of set up towards that in mind -- it makes ammo fast, and is easy to set up, but its not the highest quality setup out there (lee turret, lee disk powder thingy).   Without the extra turrets, it would be awful, agreed, and a more precise powder device might be harder to set up also.   Them's the tradeoffs, I guess.

• Like 1

I got into reloadin because of a specific cal., ammo was hard to find and expensive as heck, .41 mag. look at the price "if" ya ever see it.

Now I load for almost everything I shoot. And not sure if I load to shoot, or shoot so I can load, lol.

Besides what a way to spend rainy and/or cold days. I like some odd and hard to find stuff, 35 Rem., 444 Marlin, & 308 MX.

Stuff I guarantee ya ain't gonna see at ww, or some of the sporting goods stores, and if you do, ya better have deep pockets.

and like Greg said "variety", so for me it just makes more sense. 

Even 44 mag, 45 Colt I can produce for fraction of the cost of the factory stuff.

I have a Lee 4-hole turret, with the discs for all the calibers, and you can run it like a progressive for some handgun calibers,

or as a single stage for rifles.

I started out with just a few handgun cal. the first couple years, then 223 now every rifle cal. I own.

The way prices were the past couple years, and the non existent and unavailability of most I am sure glad I did.

The thing about powders are they are not cal. specific, and can be used in the different cal.

You can even run "some" of the handgun powders in "some" of your rifles.

And like others have said you can load some powder puff loads for cheap practice, or young and new shooters.

Or some real thumpers.

With a little time & patience's you can make ammo more accurate than factory. As we all know no 2 firearms especially rifles won't shoot the same ammo the same.

Well I guess I've pretty much mimicked what everyone else has said.

Good luck in your endeavor, and happy shootin.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The most enjoyable part for me is testing. When you find the magic combination that YOU made it is pretty very satisfying. Also getting some knowledge along the way.

Yes , like knowing exactly how light to load a cartridge to where it cycles the slide just enough to function but is very light and reliable. It just feels good to know you made the ammo that you are practicing with .