Permit required for shooting at TWRA Ranges

So I found out recently that a $5 permit is required to shoot at any TWRA range. You can purchase a yearly pass for $100. This is regardless of whether you have a hunting license or any other WMA permits. It's additional.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/attachments/TWRA_proposed_fees.pdf

I'm not sure how they classify a Tier 1,2 or 3 range. I just know that the ones on State Forests are now required permits, and it turns out all now require permits.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay $8 every time I'm at Stones River Range. Is that what they mean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information.

Yes that's a new regulation that started sometime in June 2015. It's not been advertised so many might not realize. Some ranges are unmanned and its up to you to buy the permit prior to going to the range

Yes that's a new regulation that started sometime in June 2015. It's not been advertised so many might not realize. Some ranges are unmanned and its up to you to buy the permit prior to going to the range

Makes sense as I hadn't been to a TWRA range before June.

What are they going to do, send an employee to spot check for permits at the unmanned ranges?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information.

Makes sense as I hadn't been to a TWRA range before June.

What are they going to do, send an employee to spot check for permits at the unmanned ranges?

Yes game wardens can spot check and you have to have your permit. They've been giving warning but I think they are going to start issuing citations in 2016. These ranges have historically been free, forever, and now they're not. I think it's a ploy for TWRA to try and limit range use so they can close some of them. Most officers speak with angst when brining up the rural ranges. Mostly due to the idiots that frequent them. They already restricted use to thur-Sunday on most of them.
It would be nice if the TWRA would use the money to fix up the ranges. Here in upper East TN the ranges stink! The tables are falling apart. In order to get to the target one must walk through the mud or dirt.

These are unmanned, the safety at these ranges are appalling.

I went briefly just to do a quick sight of my muzzleloader back in the fall. I walked up, and within a minute I was greeted with muzzle sweep. Nope! Not for me! So I left, I will not return.