Need some AK advice...

cknight8

Hey guys,

i'm finding myself with an itch that i need to scratch... i'm wanting an AK...just what i need, another EBR. my problem is i know absolutely nothing about AK's! what should i be looking for and what should i be avoiding? any advice?

thanks,

Chris

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you search you will find quite a few threads like yours. That being said it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. They are pretty hard to find these days and prices are going up. With prices on Rommies where they are now:screwy:, I would get a Saiga and convert it. Best bang for your buck by far. Also with prices high and backorders abundant, getting one of the custom builders involved isn't a bad idea either. http://www.redstick-firearms.com/index.html ,http://www.rifledynamics.com/index.html

Russian/Saiga, Arsenal, Bulgarian, Maddi, Yugo, and then the rest is how I would prioritize.

I don't think Mousegunner's got that MAK-90 anymore.....I asked him about it 2-3 weeks ago. I wound up finding a Hungarian AMD-65 (very cool btw!) at Mike's Gun Shop in Tazewell a couple weeks ago for a decent price. He only had two AMD-65's, a couple WASR's, and an AK pistol....all Century builds...but reasonably priced. I doubt if he has any more left because there were two other people wanting AK's behind me....but it sure wouldn't hurt to give him a call......and Tazewell's not too bad a drive for you CK. You should go check his shop out, even if he doesn't have any AK's....he's got some nice stuff. Good luck finding one!

Guest bkelm18
what does the conversion process do on a Saiga? i've heard them called "converted" and "unconverted", whats the differences?

Basically, unconverted: They are imported as hunting rifles. No pistol grip, longer buttstock, funky fire control group, and only takes low cap mags.

Converting one involves replacing the fire control group with a standard AK FCG, installing a pistol grip, installing a standard buttstock, slightly modifying the magazine catch and adding a feed ramp to be able to accept hi-cap mags. A drill, a couple punches, and a file are really the only tools you need and the whole process is quite simple. The link given earlier is good but its outdated. Here's a set of videos of someone doing it and it really helped me out with my first conversion (I've done two): http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=113D4D0386C4C639.

Also, if you don't want to fool with the feed ramp and magazine catch modifications but still want to use Hi-Cap mags, you can buy Surefire brand mags. They work with the Saiga as-is but are about twice as much as standard military surplus AK mags.

What's the finish like on a Saiga anyhow? It seems like quite people who do the conversions end up putting GunKote on their's as well. Is this because the factory finish leaves something to be desired?

Black paint. Nothing fancy, but its OK.