Looking to get an FFL. Any Advice or Suggestions?

ATF, and it can take months to get your FFL.  Once you have it, then run the business in full compliance, and treat your customers as if your next meal depended on it!  Also, if the seller is showing you the past 3 year operating years and sales, don't use that as a gauge, very abnormal years for the gun business.  You probably need to see the books from 2009 through 2011, to get an idea of what to expect.

After today's EO, it appears that anybody that sells a few guns can get a FFL. From what I've seen from the EO, you don't even have to have a official "business" to be required to have a FFL. That tells me that anybody and everybody can obtain a FFL.

I'll also add that if what I posted above is right, it may be a bad time to get a FFL as a business. If everybody gets a FFL, the actual firearms business is going to take a hit. 

After today's EO, it appears that anybody that sells a few guns can get a FFL. From what I've seen from the EO, you don't even have to have a official "business" to be required to have a FFL. That tells me that anybody and everybody can obtain a FFL.

I'll also add that if what I posted above is right, it may be a bad time to get a FFL as a business. If everybody gets a FFL, the actual firearms business is going to take a hit. 

This interests me too.  Will people give 'bama the finger and ignore the EO, and no new ffls will be obtained?   Will people get their easier to get (hah??) ffl, and buy direct for less putting the smack on the biz?   A mix of the two?   Its going to be an interesting time BUT having talked to my fair share of gun biz guys, most profit isn't in the guns.  You can't beat buds, etc, in pricing so you sell almost at cost.   Your profit is in ammo, range if you got one, services (hcp class?), accessories, ...   but that is just hearsay and observation.   I could be off the mark... but ask around.

note that if ppl follow the EO and get FFLS they have to do background checks and that is more taxes on our rights. 

Until the background checks are free, they remain illegal in my eyes.

Edited by Jonnin

I have an opportunity to purchase a business, and I would like anyone's input on the ffl process. What are the biggest hassles? Who should I talk to first? Sheriff? ATF? Thanks.

run through Chip here on the board, he said he has helped a few people get them.  May also be good to keep him as a resource if you plan on running that business... lawyers are sorta handy at times.

This interests me too.  Will people give 'bama the finger and ignore the EO, and no new ffls will be obtained?   Will people get their easier to get (hah??) ffl, and buy direct for less putting the smack on the biz?   A mix of the two?   Its going to be an interesting time BUT having talked to my fair share of gun biz guys, most profit isn't in the guns.  You can't beat buds, etc, in pricing so you sell almost at cost.   Your profit is in ammo, range if you got one, services (hcp class?), accessories, ...   but that is just hearsay and observation.   I could be off the mark... but ask around.

note that if ppl follow the EO and get FFLS they have to do background checks and that is more taxes on our rights. 

Not to take the OP off-topic, but this issue brings a bit of the conspiracy theorist out in me.  There is no way possible everyone selling could have an full-on FFL, so how do they solve this issue?  Create a new category of license that is used for limited personal sales only, viola... the registry exists now.

Not to take the OP off-topic, but this issue brings a bit of the conspiracy theorist out in me.  There is no way possible everyone selling could have an full-on FFL, so how do they solve this issue?  Create a new category of license that is used for limited personal sales only, viola... the registry exists now.

It is really designed to shut them down or lock them up.  The rules for a FFL are not changing. 

I don’t think you will see any kind of registry or any kind of special license. I think you will see the BATF be pressured into more clearly defining what a gun dealer is and putting a number on the amount of guns you can sell.

As I said before and truly believe this isn’t about making anything safer; I don’t believe Obama gives a rip about anyone else. This is 100% political and is so he can say he has done all he can, and require anyone he supports in the coming elections to pledge their support to gun control.

Federal firearm background checks are free. Blame TN for that ten clams per check.

- OS