IDPA Holster Draw Drills

Break each part of you draw down into parts, ex, at buzzer put hand on gun, stop! Do it again 10-15 times. Then add hand on gun pull out of holster, stop! 10-15 times. Thats with no target just mount the gun and draw.Do this so forth and so on, Stoeger call these micro drills, repeation is key so pick the draw apart and work on small peaces of it. As each part get easier start adding them together and thats how you will be able to prefect your draw and first shot, but it takes time and a lot of practice. This is no overnight success, months even years are spent working on skill building and marksmanship skills. After all it is a perishable one at that so it's an everyday job. Dry fire is not very fun but its the cheapest way to get to level your wanting to achieve. I hope this helps answer some of you question.

This is one of the best thing that helped me, its definitely worth buying
http://astore.amazon.com/bensto02-20/detail/1482009978 Edited by Jcoop
  • Like 2
Thanks gentlemen! I've not spent much time with pistols and it shows at the shoots. I just started shooting pistols a year ago and started IDPA for the training aspect then got sucked into the fun of the competition so I'd like to be more competitive.

I'm in it for the long haul so years of practicing isn't a problem.

I actually enjoy dry fire exercises but I bet I'm not bored yet because I've not done it to near the level you guys have.

I squeezed out Marksman at the qualifier and I was very pleased with that considering my limited experience.

Now to pay better attention before my nickname becomes "Procedural".

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.

One more question. 

I'm also trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  Do you guys do this?  Is there a reason to do this?  Should I work on it?

When I shoot with both eyes open, i see a silhouette of the gun just the right of it.  I'm right handed, right eye dominant, but every time I open both eyes, I get this double vision of the gun and sights. 

Is that normal?  I could probably train myself to focus on the left image, but can I train myself to make the silhouette go away?

One more question. 

I'm also trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  Do you guys do this?  Is there a reason to do this?  Should I work on it?

When I shoot with both eyes open, i see a silhouette of the gun just the right of it.  I'm right handed, right eye dominant, but every time I open both eyes, I get this double vision of the gun and sights. 

Is that normal?  I could probably train myself to focus on the left image, but can I train myself to make the silhouette go away?

Your eyes are close to the same strength. My son had the same issue. It's OK to close one eye, or squint one eye. It can induce eye strain, but not likely in the time interval that you shoot in IDPA.

In Bullseye you focus much harder and eye strain can be a problem. Lots of guys use a blinder on the non dominant eye so it can stay open and not see the sights. Try some tape on your shooting glasses as an experiment if you want. during dry fire to prove this is happening.

For a dryfire draw drill, I used to use a simple piece of paper on the wall that looked about the size of the A zone, Or a circle on a plain piece of paper. Draw and dryfire once into the paper. Don;t worry about being precise. This isn't bullseye... The lack of a percise aiming point helped get me over fussing about my sight picture like I did in the beginning.

Your eyes are close to the same strength. My son had the same issue. It's OK to close one eye, or squint one eye. It can induce eye strain, but not likely in the time interval that you shoot in IDPA.

In Bullseye you focus much harder and eye strain can be a problem. Lots of guys use a blinder on the non dominant eye so it can stay open and not see the sights. Try some tape on your shooting glasses as an experiment if you want. during dry fire to prove this is happening.

For a dryfire draw drill, I used to use a simple piece of paper on the wall that looked about the size of the A zone, Or a circle on a plain piece of paper. Draw and dryfire once into the paper. Don;t worry about being precise. This isn't bullseye... The lack of a percise aiming point helped get me over fussing about my sight picture like I did in the beginning.

I have the same double vision problem when trying to shoot with both eyes open.  I've read that LOTS of practice with tape over the weak-side lens will eventually train your brain to only pay attention to what it sees from the strong side eye, eliminating the double vision.  I've not put the time in to prove that theory.  It's a little more common with shotgun shooters.  I don't know if having tape over one lens is legal in IDPA. 

I shoot with both eyes open.  It was something I had to get used to in the beginning, but now it is really weird to close one eye.  Having both eyes open gives me much better peripheral vision as well as depth perception.  It also takes muscle strength to close your left eye which causes strain you your entire face.  That little bit can take concentration away from your dominant eye.  It's hard to explain, but if you keep shooting with both eyes open your right eye will eventually focus naturally by itself.

As to "getting on target faster", don't worry about that.  Work your dry fire drills like JCoop explains to train your muscle memory to get the gun out of the holster cleanly.  Most shooters who simply think they need to "quick draw" will botch their first shot because they have jerked the gun too fast from the holster and didn't get a good grip on the gun.  If they did manage a decent grip, the second part of the draw is screwed by pushing to the target too quickly and not getting a good sight picture.  They crack the first shot and it's nowhere on paper.

Next time you're at our shoot, watch Scott Randolph.  He is not the fastest at drawing, or moving for that matter (you're my hero Scott), but Scott is one of the best shooters I've had the pleasure of shooting with.  He gave me some very good advice and that was to make sure the draw is clean and to get a positive sight picture on the first target.  From there, it's a matter of simply pressing the trigger and making smooth transitions.  Scott proves this time and time again with smooth and exact motions, and it shows when the rest of us are trying to catch his match times.

• Like 4