Emergency Radio Questions

I've been thinking about asking for an Emergency Radio for Christmas and I've been looking at the Etons at Radio Shack. Anyone got an opinion on these or know of a better radio?

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032073

I'm primirily for something that picks up the local AM/FM/SW NOAA braodcasts, but I also want it to be handcranked in case the power goes out. The Etons also have a built in flashlight and a cellphone charger.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I picked up one of these from Cabela's a few weeks ago when it was on sale:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0058151629044a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=eton&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=0&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

After playing with it a bit, I'm impressed for less than $20.00 delivered. It seems very well made, tunes well, and the LED light is fairly powerful. The thing feels sturdy.

Guest onthesquare
Or you could get your HAM license and have the best emergency radio money can buy.

I'll second that (KI4CKZ). A lot of the amateur radio handitalkies have am/fm/sw/noaa (receive) in addition to transmitting on one or more amateur bands (2 meter, 4 meter, 220, 440, etc) and cost less than $300. I'm partial to Yaesu, but Kenwood and Icom are great, too.

Guest Astra900

I got a Eton FR300 Multi purpose. Works great. a few seconds of cranking gets you a few minutes of power. I like the fact you charge a cell by cranking too!

I'll second that (KI4CKZ). A lot of the amateur radio handitalkies have am/fm/sw/noaa (receive) in addition to transmitting on one or more amateur bands (2 meter, 4 meter, 220, 440, etc) and cost less than $300. I'm partial to Yaesu, but Kenwood and Icom are great, too.

KJ4CTS is my call for the record.

I've considered getting my HAM license, but I'm not sure I really have the time to study for it. Is there somewhere on line that you can study for it?

I picked up the ETON FR500 for my christmas present. The wife won't let me have it till christmas and I have to act surprised too.

Guest Sixguns
I've considered getting my HAM license, but I'm not sure I really have the time to study for it. Is there somewhere on line that you can study for it?

I picked up the ETON FR500 for my christmas present. The wife won't let me have it till christmas and I have to act surprised too.

I got my FCC Level 3 license while I was in the military. I was due to ETS and was going to work at Rockwell as a contractor. If I recall I paid about $500 for a class that basically taught the test. Most of the test is memorization, but there are some formulas for antennae lengths, transmitter power, etc. It is not too difficult to pass, but knowledge of electronics for the level 3 license helps a lot.

I would recommend taking something similar to the class I took, I probably wouldn't have passed without it.

http://www.qrz.com/ham/ go there, cheat, and memorize the question pool. No need to take a formal class. Also FYI there is no code requirement.

Guest theoldguy

I agree, Get your ham license. With a few weeks of study on the web you can pass the tech class and be on the radio in another week..10.00-15.00 for the test. I think everyone should have a ham lic and a HCP, that way you can listen on the radio to whats going on around you in an emergency and talk to those around you. Its just fun to ride down the road and talk to someone on the west coast.

Jeff (KI4JZI)

I'm considering getting my HAM as well, actually.

The ARRL has an internet learning program for the Technician-level license, it's $69 for the course, and that includes the course, a book, and a one-year membership in the ARRL.

http://www.arrl.org/cce/courses.html#ec010

http://www.arrl.org/cep/student/samplecourse.html

Go through the sample course, it provides information on it as well. It looks like it ALSO includes a test with the FCC for the license instead of a Final Assessment for the course, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this book is overpriced, but I think some of the ideas in it are quite helpful to someone just beginning to look at the idea of emergency communication. He covers FRS/GMRS, CB, HAM, antennas, laws, licenses, encryption/security, etc.

If you can find it used for $10-15 it is probably ok, but I thought it was too high at $30. But I read it.

Communications for Survival and Self-Reliance (Paperback)

• 1 month later...
Guest mcclearypl

Hello

The best all around, out of the box, talk across the yard or around the world is the Yaesu FT-817ND. It has the most used hf-vhf-uhf and six meter bands and when coupled with a good antenna tuner and 2 hundred feet of wire or a simple dipole antenna will provide communications across the world. It is also usable with internal batteries or can be hooked up to any 12 volt @ 4 amp power supply.

Best bang for the buck anywhere. Outside of a sidearm that is.

Peace

Edited by mcclearypl
wording error
Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Hello Again

Anyone feel free to ask me any questions about ham radio and I will be happy to answer.

Peace

What kind of money to invest in a basic system?

Guest mcclearypl

If you bought the radio I advised new in the box it would be around 600.00 another 125. or so for a good LDG auto tuner and maybe 60 bucks to buy the wire and stuff to make the antenna. So lets say under 800 bucks for a system you can carry in a back pack and put in service in less than 30 minutes. Not to bad for world wide comms.

If you need more details drop me a private message.

Peace

Phil

N4LNE

If you bought the radio I advised new in the box it would be around 600.00 another 125. or so for a good LDG auto tuner and maybe 60 bucks to buy the wire and stuff to make the antenna. So lets say under 800 bucks for a system you can carry in a back pack and put in service in less than 30 minutes. Not to bad for world wide comms.

If you need more details drop me a private message.

Peace

Phil

N4LNE

You wont be getting far on 5 watts right now with the sun in its current condition. Also, all of this stuff can be picked up used on various sites. QTH.com and QRZ.com both have great forsale/trade sections. I've never bought a radio new.

QRP (very low power, such as the 817) is more of an art than anything. I had the 817 for a while, held a QSO with a guy in PA on 1/3watt. That was the only HF contact I made. For VHF/UHF through a local repeater, it does work well though. In the end, it is basically a glorified handi-talkie.

If you want to get out and touch someone, look @ the FT-857. It's a 100 watt rig, and has all the functionality of it's little brother, the 817. You will need an external power source for the 857 though.

Guest mcclearypl

Dear Moped

Please do join the world of ham radio. We would love to have you.

However please remember that "You gotta love anything that goes BANG" does not work in ham radio. Bang leads to smoke and smoke is a direct path to the repair man. LMAO.

Peace

Guest ProguninTN
You wont be getting far on 5 watts right now with the sun in its current condition. Also, all of this stuff can be picked up used on various sites. QTH.com and QRZ.com both have great forsale/trade sections. I've never bought a radio new.

QRP (very low power, such as the 817) is more of an art than anything. I had the 817 for a while, held a QSO with a guy in PA on 1/3watt. That was the only HF contact I made. For VHF/UHF through a local repeater, it does work well though. In the end, it is basically a glorified handi-talkie.

If you want to get out and touch someone, look @ the FT-857. It's a 100 watt rig, and has all the functionality of it's little brother, the 817. You will need an external power source for the 857 though.

So, you say the FT-857 is a good one ? I'm contemplating getting one. I'm also studying to upgrade to General. I hoping I can make contact with a buddy in AL who's also a ham.

Guest mcclearypl

Hello ALL

I stand by using the ft817ND for the following reasons. It runs on 12 volts at less than 4 amps or on internal batteries. A radio is only as good as the antenna and I have worked 44 out of the 50 states on qrp ssb using only a home made 160 meter dipole. I agree more power is better but in an emergency configuration less is often more. This radio is smaller, easier to carry, requires less power to operate and was designed from the start to be a portable radio. I agree you can purchase radios used but often get just what you pay for, someone elses junk.

Peace

Hello ALL

I stand by using the ft817ND for the following reasons. It runs on 12 volts at less than 4 amps or on internal batteries. A radio is only as good as the antenna and I have worked 44 out of the 50 states on qrp ssb using only a home made 160 meter dipole. I agree more power is better but in an emergency configuration less is often more. This radio is smaller, easier to carry, requires less power to operate and was designed from the start to be a portable radio. I agree you can purchase radios used but often get just what you pay for, someone elses junk.

Peace

Never gotten junk in all the radio's I've had. If you have access to a 4 amp source, odds are you have access to something with more umph. In an emergency situation, you want 100watts. That is mentioned in the EMCOMM 1 course.