Another Gas Thread, not price this time

Guest db99wj

I dunno if it is true or not. But I switch up who I buy gas from about every third tank or so. The purpose is that the cleansers added to fuel can leave a buildup inside your injectors. Buying gas from a different source now and again gives you a different cleanser which will clean out the previous cleanser buildup.

Like I said I dunno if it is true but I have been told that by a guy who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Hmm, I will try that. Makes sense, since different refineries use different formulations, conditioners cleaners. I need to run up and get a bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner, I can't remember the name, but it has been recommend by many, it's not like STP or anything like that, man I am suffering from CRS disease at the moment. It is a cloudy but see through bottle.....you can get it in bulk or the smaller bottles....I know it when I see it...doh!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I will try that. Makes sense, since different refineries use different formulations, conditioners cleaners. I need to run up and get a bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner, I can't remember the name, but it has been recommend by many, it's not like STP or anything like that, man I am suffering from CRS disease at the moment. It is a cloudy but see through bottle.....you can get it in bulk or the smaller bottles....I know it when I see it...doh!

Lucas?

I drive a 1988 Silverado extended cab long bed 3500 so gas is bad for me anyway you look at it. About a year and a half ago my millage dropped off drastically(maybe longer). It was right about the time they started putting more corn in the gas. Most of the newer vehicles are designed to deal with the corn additive better than the bulk of us with older cars.

Im jsut glad to get gas for $1.35 instead of $4.09 at the peak of summer!

The ethanol content will hurt mileage but not all companies cut their gasoline with ethanol. In Murfreesboro several of the Kwick Sak locations are 100% gasoline (no Ethanol) in addition, any station within a county that must meet some of the more stringent air quality standards (MPO region) such as Davidson, Rutherford, etc. have an additive in the fuel to reduce some of the harmfun emissions. The additive seems to hurn mileage in addition to the ethanol. My mileage has gone from 30hwy last year at this time to 23-25 hwy this year. (ugh)

It could have easily been nothing more than a coincidence, but my truck quit running about 7-10 miles after filling up yesterday.

After filling up, I drove straight to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. The truck was running perfectly until they began pulling it into the bay. It would stay running with starting fluid or beating on the bottom of the fuel tank while starting the truck. As soon as I quit beating the tank, the truck would die.

It's now in the shop getting a new fuel pump. I replaced the pump about 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's gone bad again, or I managed to pick up a bunch of water and/or trash along the way.

Whatever it is, I'm so happy this happened 2 weeks before Christmas. The timing couldn't be better.

Easiest way to tell if the fuel pump is out is by ear.

Sea Foam is the shiznit! I use to sell this stuff by the cases to shops.It really works well

I don't know if any of you have heard of a product called Fuelon that is a fuel additive. Istarted using it over a year ago and it helps my millage. I drive a '97 Thunderbird with 205,000 miles and a 3.8 V-6. I was getting 19 mpg around town and I am getting 21.5 - 22 mpg now.

You can get it online at www.fuelon.com or 1-800-437-0427.

You only use 1 oz per 15 gal so it lasts a while. They even have it buy 1get1 free til March 15th. No I don't work for them or get anything for giving you this ibnfo. Just trying to help.

I ordered a small size at first to see if it worked and I liked my results. With gas cheap right now it may not matter to you but it probably won't stay low.

Edited by Volzfan

TDR, how low do you normally allow the fuel tank to get before buying gas?

I never let my tank go below a quarter of a tank and I try to fill when it goes below half way.

For those that don't know. The fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank. Allowing the pump to heat up on a regular basis is bad so I have been told. Also letting the tank get to empty allows accumulated crap in the fuel tank to get sucked down the line.

Guest jackdog

best fuel additive I've found is acetone. I've been using it for over 3 years with varying results. My 98 chevy went from 27 MPG to 34 MPG on average. My Isuzu trooper gained about 3mpg and Mt Dodge ram gains about 4MPG H but only on highway driving. Around town it may gain 1MPG./ Rates of additve range from 6 to 8 OZ. depending on the vehicle.

lately I have only been using non ethanol fuel. It cost a few cents per gallon more. I'm not sure about a difference in fuel mileage, but the difference in performance is obvious. No more rattle and lifter noise etc. I'll pay the difference.

Lucas?

Yep, Lucas, that's it!

Easiest way to tell if the fuel pump is out is by ear.

Sea Foam is the shiznit! I use to sell this stuff by the cases to shops.It really works well

Heard good things about that stuff as well.

I don't know if any of you have heard of a product called Fuelon that is a fuel additive. Istarted using it over a year ago and it helps my millage. I drive a '97 Thunderbird with 205,000 miles and a 3.8 V-6. I was getting 19 mpg around town and I am getting 21.5 - 22 mpg now.

You can get it online at www.fuelon.com or 1-800-437-0427.

You only use 1 oz per 15 gal so it lasts a while. They even have it buy 1get1 free til March 15th. No I don't work for them or get anything for giving you this ibnfo. Just trying to help.

I ordered a small size at first to see if it worked and I liked my results. With gas cheap right now it may not matter to you but it probably won't stay low.

Will have to read more.

I just filled up again today, same Kroger my wife did yesterday. We let you know when I get the results.

Guest bigsack

one of the main problems with the ethanol in gas is that the alcohol is "hydroscopic"(sp) meaning it absorbs water. also if you let it sit for a while the gas and ethanol will separate. and when you add those two propeties together you can get into all kinds of problems. this is especially true in 2 stroke outboards that may sit unused for extended periods of time. in cars/trucks that are daily drivers its not that big a deal but it is still something that we all need to keep note of and pay attention to. AFAIK the government and oil companies is getting away from the manditory 10% ethanol in regular gas b/c of the associated longterm problems with it. and frankly im glad to see it go, my 99 and 92 model vehicles were not designed for it and i don't want it!

Guest Rugerman
one of the main problems with the ethanol in gas is that the alcohol is "hydroscopic"(sp) meaning it absorbs water. also if you let it sit for a while the gas and ethanol will separate. and when you add those two propeties together you can get into all kinds of problems. this is especially true in 2 stroke outboards that may sit unused for extended periods of time. in cars/trucks that are daily drivers its not that big a deal but it is still something that we all need to keep note of and pay attention to. AFAIK the government and oil companies is getting away from the manditory 10% ethanol in regular gas b/c of the associated longterm problems with it. and frankly im glad to see it go, my 99 and 92 model vehicles were not designed for it and i don't want it!

hyGroscopic :tough: