M&P9 Range report!!!!!

Smith

Finally got to the range today with my new M&P! As some know, I had reallllllly wanted a Walther P99 9mm QA but due to shop mix ups I had to "settle" for the my second choice - the M&P.

Let me just say, I am sooooo glad I had to "settle". The M&P was flawless and shot extremely well. :P

I used to think the changeable grip stuff was mostly marketing hype, but what I discovered was that it was incredibly helpful. I always assumed I liked the smallest grip because it was more comfortable just holding it in the store etc. What I found was that the larger grip put my hand in a much better position and my groups (i can now call them it that!) was vastly improved. The ease of changing them was also very nice, compared to the Walther I had before. All in all I really like this new carry gun and will not be getting another G19 or Walther P99 (at least not for EDC;)).

I did have one FTF about halfway through the first mag. However, I gotta blame that one on the .40 S&W round that was in there! :poop: I'm still trying to figure that one out. I don't have any .40's!:)

Last 3 mags (54 rnds) @ 10 yrds.

Photo0060.jpg

Crappy phone pic

Photo0062.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats. +1 on changeable grips not being hype, pistols are not one size fits all imho.

it's interesting what you noticed about your accuracy and the grip size, same here when i had an m&p, and now, while i prefer my sr9 with the flat, smaller backstrap as far as handling is concerned, i shoot far better w/ the larger arched backstrap.?

it's nice to experiment w/ the feel without having to get a different gun

Guest sharpshooter01

Good shootin'!! I played around with the different grips the last time I shot my .45 and for some reason I shot the small and large grip about the same, but noticed with the medium I shot low. Will play around again to see if it was a fluke or not.

Good shootin'!! I played around with the different grips the last time I shot my .45 and for some reason I shot the small and large grip about the same, but noticed with the medium I shot low. Will play around again to see if it was a fluke or not.

It was kinda interesting because as i tried the 3 sizes my accuracy improved as size went up. I always thought it would be different for me, because I don't have the biggest hands in the world.

I might add that the hinged trigger took a little to get use to as well but wasn't really much of an issue. Just a different feel than I've had before.

My MP9c shot about an inch to the left out of the box. I still haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Your head shots look to the left or were you aiming at that one eye?

Naw, I got some work to do. If you notice almost everything is center left. I tend to "push". Not good just something I'm slowly working out. The large grips helped me to not get so far around the grip and it helped a lot.

I have the M&P Pro and love it. When I first received it I tried the grips and decided I liked the small size best. Test firing at the range with each of the grips clearly showed that I shoot best with the medium size. Whether this is because it fits me better or because it more closely resembles the XD I was shooting I couldn't tell you. The only thing I wasn't pleased with was the infamous "crunchy" feeling in the trigger takeup. I found an easy set of "do it yourself" trigger improvements that took that away and made for a very nice trigger. Here is a copy of a post I made on another BBS about the subject.

Dan Burwell is famous for his M&P trigger jobs but he is also kind enough to publish instructions on how to do it yourself. I in no way claim to be any sort of gunsmith so I was a little nervous about tearing into it to the full extent of the presentation. From what I can tell, the initial "grittiness" of the trigger comes from the trigger bar depressing the fireing pin block. To improve this and the trigger break I only performed the work on pages 25 thru 40 of the presentation. This part is fairly easy to do. It took me about 30 minutes and I am very happy with the results. Of course, like anything else, take your time and be carefull because you are doing it at your own risk.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

His website is here.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Naw, I got some work to do. If you notice almost everything is center left. I tend to "push". Not good just something I'm slowly working out. The large grips helped me to not get so far around the grip and it helped a lot.

Yea, I was going to say you may be pushing the trigger just a little, but, very impressive shooting nonetheless.

• Administrator

I traded my 9L for a standard 40 a few weeks ago. I've been carrying it lately just for grins and giggles. It's as reliable as my previous 40 was, but I doubt I'll send this one off to Dan for the trigger job. The last trigger job he did for me was nice and smooth but it also made the reset even less perceptible than they are out of the box.

I traded my 9L for a standard 40 a few weeks ago. I've been carrying it lately just for grins and giggles. It's as reliable as my previous 40 was, but I doubt I'll send this one off to Dan for the trigger job. The last trigger job he did for me was nice and smooth but it also made the reset even less perceptible than they are out of the box.

Hey, Tungsten - I was thinking of sending it to him for a trigger job. Seems like the consensus is that it is as close to a 1911 trigger as a striker fired can get. Is that not your experience?

Yea, I was going to say you may be pushing the trigger just a little, but, very impressive shooting nonetheless.

Part of it is definitely me "pushing". I may still need to drift the rear a little. I was aiming dead center both head and center mass. That being said, i have hardly ever missed right, with any gun!