Shipping a handgun

Guest justinbelcher13

This might help:

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Problem is is that the two carriers have additional policies that are more stringent than the ATF rules. This is what causes a lot of difficulty at the counter. I have even had an argument with the legal department of Fedex that said I could not ship FTF in state even though ATF and their own policy allows it. Most counter folks are OK with shipping to a FFL but get all confused on in state FTF. All though the lady I spoke with was very nice and agreed that what the legal dept. was telling her contradicted their policy, she said her hands were tied. I went back the next day and didn't tell them anything. I had printed the shipping label and sat it on the counter and said thank you. Was that ok, probably not, but it wasn't worth another two hours in debating company policy.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is is that the two carriers have additional policies that are more stringent than the ATF rules. This is what causes a lot of difficulty at the counter. I have even had an argument with the legal department of Fedex that said I could not ship FTF in state even though ATF and their own policy allows it. Most counter folks are OK with shipping to a FFL but get all confused on in state FTF. All though the lady I spoke with was very nice and agreed that what the legal dept. was telling her contradicted their policy, she said her hands were tied. I went back the next day and didn't tell them anything. I had printed the shipping label and sat it on the counter and said thank you. Was that ok, probably not, but it wasn't worth another two hours in debating company policy.

The same thing happened to me with UPS in Murfreesboro. UPS corporate told me that although what they were telling me was incorrect they would not override the decision of the “Security Officer†on site.

I refuse to ship it without telling them because that is a violation of federal law. I’m not putting my azz in jeopardy because they are ignorant of the laws or their own company policies.

The first person I talked with at UPS customer service told me she was a 21 year old college student and all she knew about guns were that they scared her. :D

The same thing happened to me with UPS in Murfreesboro. UPS corporate told me that although what they were telling me was incorrect they would not override the decision of the “Security Officer” on site.

I refuse to ship it without telling them because that is a violation of federal law. I’m not putting my azz in jeopardy because they are ignorant of the laws or their own company policies.

The first person I talked with at UPS customer service told me she was a 21 year old college student and all she knew about guns were that they scared her. :D

I agree it's a mess.

It IS tempting to just overnight the dang thang as nsnate mentioned, without saying boo. Plead ignorance if the worst happened (I know, ignorance of the law no excuse...).

On the other hand, there's a hell of a lot UPS/FedEx don't tell YOU, too. Of course, it's all buried in tiny clauses in the Service Agreement tome.

Here's a common "scam"...there are a lot of items that FedEx won't insure but up to a certain amount, I think it's 500 clams, like "collectibles, jewelry, art, other items not replaceable from current retailers,etc etc"...BUT, they'll let you slap on $5000 additional insurance and pay the extra in a heartbeat.

FedEx Ground has a particularly nasty little practice (among many, MANY), where they include the $100 worth of insurance in their rates, or of course let you pay for more. But in well over 50% of all claims, the contractor pays the claim after an "investigation". So FedEx has taken customer bucks, and paid out nada from them, as it came directly out of contractor's weekly settlement.

And so it goes...

- OS

The same thing happened to me with UPS in Murfreesboro. UPS corporate told me that although what they were telling me was incorrect they would not override the decision of the “Security Officer†on site.

Yeah, I not advocating doing something illegal but in that instance I was just frustrated and had tried to do it all the right way just to find out I could only do the right thing the wrong way. That makes sense.... right?:D

Yeah, I not advocating doing something illegal but in that instance I was just frustrated and had tried to do it all the right way just to find out I could only do the right thing the wrong way. That makes sense.... right?;)

Sure that makes sense.

One of our forum members here decided to list a firearm as “Machine Parts†maybe they will jump in here and tell us how that worked out. :D

:D

Sure that makes sense.

One of our forum members here decided to list a firearm as “Machine Parts†maybe they will jump in here and tell us how that worked out. ;)

:D

Be careful with that. I did a few times and then the last time they opened it to make sure there wasn't any oil and I got a call a little later to come get it. They were very nice and accommodating. It didn't have the barrel included as it was going for a trigger job, so it wasn't violaing the letter of their policy only the essence.:D

Guest Provence
Sure that makes sense.

One of our forum members here decided to list a firearm as “Machine Parts†maybe they will jump in here and tell us how that worked out. :grouchy:

:P

I have read that Hi-Point instructs owners to send guns for repair via UPS ground as "machine parts". Surely UPS notices that Hi-Point receives many small packages of machine parts. Maybe there is a tacit agreement between them. :poop:

I have read that Hi-Point instructs owners to send guns for repair via UPS ground as "machine parts". Surely UPS notices that Hi-Point receives many small packages of machine parts. Maybe there is a tacit agreement between them. :mad:

You can mark them anything you like, most gun manufacturers tell you not to put anything about a firearm on the package.

However, you are required to notify a shipper you are shipping a firearm; that is Federal law.