Shipping a handgun

Guest justinbelcher13

Guest justinbelcher13

Does anyone out there with an FFL know the regulations for a individual shipping a handgun to an FFL? Is there a particular company that is best to deal with? I appreciate any info.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a copy of the FFL you are sending it to and go to FedEx or UPS and ship it. It will have to go overnight and you will have to declare it at the counter. You also have to ship it from one of the shippers main terminals. No retail stores, drop location, ect. I would personally use FedEx after my experiences with both. NO USPS.

Some FFL's will not give a copy of their FFL to an individual, only a business. They will provide you with the FFL number though.

Be sure to include a legible copy of your ID when you ship the firearm, this is so it can get recorded in the bound book properly.

Some FFL's will not give a copy of their FFL to an individual, only a business. They will provide you with the FFL number though.

This is true. I know several FFLs that will not give a copy of their license to a non-FFL.

Get the FFL's license number, and verify through ATF FFL EZCheck: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ . You can take a copy a of the online printout to the shipper, if they require proof you are sending it to a FFL.

This is true. I know several FFLs that will not give a copy of their license to a non-FFL.

Get the FFL's license number, and verify through ATF FFL EZCheck: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ . You can take a copy a of the online printout to the shipper, if they require proof you are sending it to a FFL.

UPS has always asked me for the copy of the FFL. Fedex just ask if it is going to a FFL. I've discovered that most of these employees at the counter don't know their own policies much less the ATF regulations. Sometimes it is just a matter of who you get at the counter. I've experienced impossible to very easy and pleasant. Just know it make take a trip or two.

Edited by Smith

I have shipped Handguns TO FFL's in the past Exactly as Nsnate stated EXCEPT I never had a copy of the recipients FFL. I packaged it up, took it to Fed-Ex and told the lady at the counter it was a firearm. She verified it was being sent Next Day Air and that was it. With insurance, I think it was $45 the last time if I'm not mistaken.

...I've discovered that most of these employees at the counter don't know their own policies much less the ATF regulations. Sometimes it is just a matter of who you get at the counter. I've experiencede impossible to very easy and pleasant. ust know it make take a trip or two.

Right on :D

Guest Verbal Kint

+1 on using FedEx.

Also, I've never taken it to the counter. Always called and scheduled a pickup. Driver shows up, I inform him that there is a handgun in the package (as per their regs, you must inform the carrier -- but do not have to mark the box in any way), and that it's going to an FFL/dealer. He affixes the labels, scans it and my credit card, provides me with the receipt and tracking info, and that's that.

Done it this way 3-4 times now, and never had a problem and never been questioned about it... other than the driver confirming "So this is going to an FFL?", to which I nod and say "Yes, it is" and it was left at that.

+1 on using FedEx.

Also, I've never taken it to the counter. Always called and scheduled a pickup. Driver shows up, I inform him that there is a handgun in the package (as per their regs, you must inform the carrier -- but do not have to mark the box in any way), and that it's going to an FFL/dealer. He affixes the labels, scans it and my credit card, provides me with the receipt and tracking info, and that's that.

Done it this way 3-4 times now, and never had a problem and never been questioned about it... other than the driver confirming "So this is going to an FFL?", to which I nod and say "Yes, it is" and it was left at that.

Man, I never thought about having the driver take it. I have a Fed-Ex account at the office so that's definately the way it's going next time. Did they give you a reciept or something when they picked it up?

I've discovered that most of these employees at the counter don't know their own policies much less the ATF regulations.

I agree. The one time I shipped a handgun via UPS, I was never asked for a copy of the receiver's FFL. Neither UPS or ATF regs require the shipper to get a copy of the FFL. God only knows where they get their info.

UPS guidelines: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

FedEx guidelines: http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

Guest gcrookston

A copy of the receiver's FFL is not required, but it is a good idea. At the very least one should verify their # here:

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

I always include a copy of my driver's Lics and a "Statement of Final Disposition", i.e. "One _____ Ser#______ is being shipped to _______ for the benefit and final disposition of _______." signed and dated. This last step is more for my piece of mind than anything.

Guest Verbal Kint
Man, I never thought about having the driver take it. I have a Fed-Ex account at the office so that's definately the way it's going next time. Did they give you a reciept or something when they picked it up?

Yep, billing receipt and tracking tag.

UPS has always asked me for the copy of the FFL. Fedex just ask if it is going to a FFL. I've discovered that most of these employees at the counter don't know their own policies much less the ATF regulations. Sometimes it is just a matter of who you get at the counter. I've experienced impossible to very easy and pleasant. Just know it make take a trip or two.

This has been my experience as well, except that FedEx MAY allow shipping through FedEx Ground (I just shipped 3-day ground for less than $12, which beats the heck out of UPS that does require overnight delivery).

Res Dog posted links to the UPS and FedEx rules, but his link has different rules than the link below for FedEx. This link does not say overnight delivery is needed.

http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Maybe I just got lucky, but I'd ask the clerk to ship it the cheapest way possible (then add insurance if you think you need it).

This has been my experience as well, except that FedEx MAY allow shipping through FedEx Ground (I just shipped 3-day ground for less than $12, which beats the heck out of UPS that does require overnight delivery).

Res Dog posted links to the UPS and FedEx rules, but his link has different rules than the link below for FedEx. This link does not say overnight delivery is needed.

http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

Maybe I just got lucky, but I'd ask the clerk to ship it the cheapest way possible (then add insurance if you think you need it).

No.No.No.

That is a link to FedEx Freight.

I was a FedEx Ground contractor. I assure you that handguns are a no no.

I pulled quite a few off the van that slipped through the sort.

I delivered to the Para service place in Sevierville. It wasn't so much that I toed the line on the rules, or wanted to make it hard on customers, but that it's all out by itself and a stop that was better for me to avoid if possible :-)

But anyway, however your shipment might be outed, it's a no no. Parts are okay, whole guns are not. Also, should your gun be lost, FedEx will pay NADA on even the basic insurance, let alone any higher amount you may have claimed. Even if not lost, it might be a week or two before that gun finally get's returned to you, also with no insurance rider on it.

You can send long guns via Ground, though:

1. FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same)

And yep, midtennchip, you did get lucky. Actually, you might get lucky over and over, until you don't.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info
No.No.No.

That is a link to FedEx Freight.

I was a FedEx Ground contractor. I assure you that handguns are a no no.

I pulled quite a few off the van that slipped through the sort.

I delivered to the Para service place in Sevierville. It wasn't so much that I toed the line on the rules, or wanted to make it hard on customers, but that it's all out by itself and a stop that was better for me to avoid if possible :-)

But anyway, however your shipment might be outed, it's a no no. Parts are okay, whole guns are not. Also, should your gun be lost, FedEx will pay NADA on even the basic insurance, let alone any higher amount you may have claimed. Even if not lost, it might be a week or two before that gun finally get's returned to you, also with no insurance rider on it.

You can send long guns via Ground, though:

1. FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same)

And yep, midtennchip, you did get lucky. Actually, you might get lucky over and over, until you don't.

- OS

So your the guy!;):2cents: Seriously though, how would you find out after the fact?

Guest gcrookston

Interesting, Ohshoot. FedEx requires hand guns over-night. Not ground.

I had a handgun damaged during shipping by FedEx several years ago and they reimbursed me per my $900.00 insured value.

I like FedEx for firearms. It really is the only way to ship them,

If it isn't declared and no other markings, how would it be caught down the line after the initial scan in? I'm not familiar with how the carriers inner workings go.

Admittedly, up the line, little chance of it getting noticed by actual FedEx staff, although I was told that certain area recipients were tagged for spot checks with buzzer alert when scanned, dunno for sure. FedEx "says" a lot of things.

Gets to the contractor (me), I'd just open it and look. The contractor is slammed with everything, all claims for almost any reason, bonus deductions for policy goofs, yadda yadda, best for the pocketbook to dot all the i's you can.

Some contractors also seem to really take it personally that a shipper might be getting a illegitimate price break. (I did too, when somebody sends 20 45lb boxes, marked as 18 lbs, for example).

I did it mostly because it was a hard stop, also guys at Para weren't there a lot, so there's an unpaid stop even after spending the time/fuel, etc.

- OS

Interesting, Ohshoot. FedEx requires hand guns over-night. Not ground. ...

Correct, and as I suppose most everybody knows, Express and Ground are totally different enterprises, different terminals, etc.

Most folks do NOT know, however, that Express drivers are employees and Ground guys are contractors, who own their own trucks. If they have more than one truck and/or route, they employ others to drive/deliver.

- OS

OhShoot, I will not argue with you since I have NO knowledge of this other than my shipment about 2 weeks ago. There is more than one policy on the FedEx site, but on that link, it does say the policy was revised 11/3/08. I have no idea if that policy only applies to Freight, but it does say that individuals can ship to FFLs in that policy.

Again, I could have just been lucky. I fully expected to pay for Priority Overnight when I went into the office. But, the clerk put a "firearms" sticker on the package and it was delivered, so take it for whatever that's worth.

Edited by midtennchip
OhShoot, I will not argue with you since I have NO knowledge of this other than my shipment about 2 weeks ago. However, on that link, it does say the policy was revised 11/3/08. I have no idea if that policy only applies to Freight, but it does say that individuals can ship to FFLs in that policy.

Again, I could have just been lucky. The clerk did a "firearms" sticker on the package and it was delivered, so take it for whatever that's worth.

Freight CAN ship any kind of firearm to FFL's. We're talking tractor trailer stuff here, not individual package services. Note that there are shipping polices for each of FedEx's divisions, Express, Ground, Freight, National LTL, Custom Critical, whatever. FedEx even involved in SmartPost, where your USPS guy delivers the last stop to your house, or is it the other way around, I disremember.

Current FedEx Ground firearms policy:

http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/groundtariff.html#firearms

There's an even more detailed one somewhere, as relates to no no goods, and their liability and return.

You really got a doofus clerk. Was this at a Kinko's? (I mean, ahem, FedEx Office?) I thought there was to be NO mention of firearm on outside of box for Express. Of course, he sent it Ground (which for SURE is not supposed to mark the outside, see link above as relates to long guns) and with a firearm marking, you were doubly lucky all went well. Not insignificant incidence of theft at ground (mostly from the truck loaders, part time kids who give a crap). A small package of known high value and resale value is always the likeliest target.

Note that I also give a crap what FedEx does now, except when I'm sending/getting a package; I've been oughtta there for about 10 months.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info

I'll take lucky, then. Especially since I was sending back a gun I bought for my wife that (in the words of Todd@CIS) experienced a "spontaneous disassembly" of her Sig P232 during her HCP class. The problem cost me about $35 less than it should have thanks to the idiot clerk.

I'll take lucky, then. Especially since I was sending back a gun I bought for my wife that (in the words of Todd@CIS) experienced a "spontaneous disassembly" of her Sig P232 during her HCP class. The problem cost me about $35 less than it should have thanks to the idiot clerk.

All's well that ends well, no argument there.

- OS

This might help:

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]