Grand American 2016

Yesterday was interesting. First I saw a guy driving a defeat with a trailer for his guns. That was a sight to see and I wish I could have gotten pictures. A delegate from PA collapsed and died in the hallway of the main event center last night after having a massive heart attack. This morning we had a toliet overflow and got water everywhere. It's gonna be a good day I'm sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is not a great photo but it's one that I took Sunday during the second day of the NRA 200 Singles event.  My son and I were on bank 12 and we had a brief mechanical delay going on so I snapped a picture looking to the west from the line.

Bank%2012%20from%20the%20line_zpsefi6nbk

My son shot a 99 and a 97 in the NRA 200 event.  His score of 196 earned him runner up in D class.  Below is the trophy he won.

Ethans%20Trophy_zpsaec0dloy.png

I did not leave totally empty handed.  I played the Jackpot Lewis option in the Krieghoff Handicap event.  My score of 91 earned me a whopping $39.20!

• Like 1
On 8/11/2016 at 10:44 AM, hipower said:

Congratulations to you both! I think your son and his trophy will have to take family bragging rights on this trip.

Thanks  hipower!

My son and or daughter usually do or did end up with bragging rights, I guess it's because I taught or have coached them both since they started shooting. (I'm going to at least think this eveni if their where other coaches involved in their success)  My son came home from school when he started fourth grade and said, "dad, 4-H has a BB Gun program and I want to do it".  Shortly after that my then 12 year old daughter watched her little brother practicing and said she wanted to try it.  So half way into the program she took it up and having never shot before she was the state 4-H BB Gun Champion that year.  I had been shooting highpower for several years prior to this and no matter how hard I tried up to that point I could not get any of my 3 children interested in competitive shooting.  Needless to say it was game on after that!  They both earned spots to attend the Daisy National BB Gun Championship Matches that year and we attended a total of 6 before they aged out. After that they went into 10 meter sporter air rifle. This lead to individual and or team state champions and more National championship matches. So of course with a scholastic Clay Target team in our county my youngest decided that would be his next endeavor and then add Scholastic Action Shooting Program on top of that.  Since my kids started competitive shooting in 2010 I've lost track of the number of Regional, State and National Championships we've attended but they are numerous and my youngest has been quite successful with trophies and medallions that he's about run out of room for.  He is 15 now so we have several more years and I'm not complaining.  Especially when we attend competitions like the Grand American that I get to shoot in as well.

Below is a photo of the first time he shot highpower with me.  He was 9 years old then and this was shortly after he started the 4-H BB gun program.  Needless to say he has a great deal of natural ability and can master most any shooting discipline, which is not an easy thing to do.  The one thing he has not taken up is archery and I will be fine if he doesn't because keeping him supplied in guns and ammo is quite the challenge for the time being.

Ethan and Dad.jpg

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
1 hour ago, shotgunshooter said:

@MP5_Rizzo don't start posting pictures of my shooting misadventures.

No worries unless you give me good reason to.  When I do they will probably pop in the the Gun Owners Memes thread.  I have lots of pictures from awards ceremonies but one of the best things about competitive shooting is there is usually a lot of down time and some really great memories are made then.  Some of which get caught on camera.

No worries unless you give me good reason to.  When I do they will probably pop in the the Gun Owners Memes thread.  I have lots of pictures from awards ceremonies but one of the best things about competitive shooting is there is usually a lot of down time and some really great memories are made then.  Some of which get caught on camera.

Guess I'll have to return the favor sometime. Yeah you do have a lot of bad pictures of me trying to look "happy" and "normal" at the ceremonies.

7 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Thanks  hipower!

My son and or daughter usually do or did end up with bragging rights, I guess it's because I taught or have coached them both since they started shooting. (I'm going to at least think this evening if their where other coaches involved in their success)  My son came home from school when he started fourth grade and said, "dad, 4-H has a BB Gun program and I want to do it".  Shortly after that my then 12 year old daughter watched her little brother practicing and said she wanted to try it.  So half way into the program she took it up and having never shot before she was the state 4-H BB Gun Champion that year.  I had been shooting highpower for several years prior to this and no matter how hard I tried up to that point I could not get any of my 3 children interested in competitive shooting.  Needless to say it was game on after that!  They both earned spots to attend the Daisy National BB Gun Championship Matches that year and we attended a total of 6 before they aged out. After that they went into 10 meter sporter air rifle. This lead to individual and or team state champions and more National championship matches. So of course with a scholastic Clay Target team in our county my youngest decided that would be his next endeavor and then add Scholastic Action Shooting Program on top of that.  Since my kids started competitive shooting in 2010 I've lost track of the number of Regional, State and National Championships we've attended but they are numerous and my youngest has been quite successful with trophies and medallions that he's about run out of room for.  He is 15 now so we have several more years and I'm not complaining.  Especially when we attend competitions like the Grand American that I get to shoot in as well.

Below is a photo of the first time he shot highpower with me.  He was 9 years old then and this was shortly after he started the 4-H BB gun program.  Needless to say he has a great deal of natural ability and can master most any shooting discipline, which is not an easy thing to do.  The one thing he has not taken up is archery and I will be fine if he doesn't because keeping him supplied in guns and ammo is quite the challenge for the time being.

Ethan and Dad.jpg

I'm sure you've heard this before. You have done a wonderful job with your children.  Raising them with love and good teachings. It shows in their accomplishments.  And all done in love. That's quite evident in the way you "speak" of them.

Today was the last day. It's been a long ten days but the Grand American is officially over. I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to but I've pinpointed some weaknesses in my game. I think i ended up shooting somewhere close to 3000 shells up here. I should have the remaining pictures uploaded tomorrow and the remaining videos up on my YouTube channel and put on here by Monday. It's been a great experience. I met some really great people and had many fun times. If any of you ever get into trapshooting the best people in the game are the Kolar folks. They treat you right and really know how to take care of their customers. If I didn't come home with anything I did do some awesome networking.

Wow!  That looks like a great experience.  Safe travels back to TN and I'm gonna check out your YouTube.  

Thanks. I'm looking to expand the channel to cover most of my shooting misadventures. It'll at least give some of my friends and the gun culture what it's like to be a collegiate shooter.

On August 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM, hipower said:

I'm sure you've heard this before. You have done a wonderful job with your children.  Raising them with love and good teachings. It shows in their accomplishments.  And all done in love. That's quite evident in the way you "speak" of them.

Thank you hipower for the kind words.

I know this shooting discipline does not appeal to a large number here so I will wrap up my post on this thread with a few statistics from the 2016 Grand American.

Total entries for all 24 events combined was 29,755

Targets thrown 3,304,900. This does not include shoot off targets and side events.  Probably closer to 3.5 million total targets thrown in 11 days.

Harlan Campble Jr. Won (again) the White Flyer 2600 High-Over-All with a score of 2565.  Out of 2600 targets Mr. Campbell missed 35.  I would not expect anything less from a 54 year old guy with 480,000 plus registered targets to his credit.

• Like 3

Can't believe I missed this thread until now. DOH!

Both the Grand and JO Nationals (for my daughter) is on the list next year. I'm switching guns this season and decided to take August of to get ready for 2017 season. 2016 was my first season and had some poor scores early  (Ok a couple later also :) )  that had me stuck in D class all season. Finished with a 88.96 avg in singles. Oh so close.  Gotta stay out of D class, she is starting to make fun of me!

Shotgunshooter - Are you in the picture with the guys wearing the Kolar shirts or is that your thumb on the on the lens? :D I wonder if we have shot together in the past.

Can't believe I missed this thread until now. DOH!

Both the Grand and JO Nationals (for my daughter) is on the list next year. I'm switching guns this season and decided to take August of to get ready for 2017 season. 2016 was my first season and had some poor scores early  (Ok a couple later also [emoji4] )  that had me stuck in D class all season. Finished with a 88.96 avg in singles. Oh so close.  Gotta stay out of D class, she is starting to make fun of me!

Shotgunshooter - Are you in the picture with the guys wearing the Kolar shirts or is that your thumb on the on the lens? [emoji3] I wonder if we have shot together in the past.

No I'm in the camo. The Kolar guys are the owner and his son. What's your home club? I don't shoot any place regularly since I'm on a college team but if you're ever in Nashville and I'm around I'd be happy to shoot at some clays.