Best new big bore revolvers?

I used to shoot a big bores a lot, mainly SW's and Redhawks, then I kinda got away from it. I cast most of my own bullets and shoot at longer ranges. I want to get back into that kind of shooting and casting but I am curious as to how well revolvers are put together these days. I had some serious trouble out of the SW's in the late 80's, Taurus was junk...back then, Colts were weak and Ruger did not have a big selection outside their SA series.

I am think of guns like the Raging Bull in 454, I am sure the Super Redhawks are fine, How is SW these days? I did pickup a Taurus SS 44 6.5" but I have not shot it that much yet. I am currently looking for something big also if anybody sees a steal on a big bore, I would appreciate a heads up. Saw a Super Redhawk 454 w/o the rings at last show for $425 but I didn't have my trading fodder with me and I was short on cash so it broke my heart but I had to pass.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big bore world sure has changed. It is probably the part of the revo universe that has undergone the most change.

FOr starters you have many more calibers. 454 Casul, 480 Ruger, 500 Linebaugh, 445 Supermag (a caliber and gun I would dearly love to have), 500 Magnum, and 460VXR.

Then the packages have changed, from 2" 500 Mags (from Taurus--Im not making this up) to 4" Super Redhawks, to 2.5" Alaskas all the way to 10 and 12 inch barrels.

Materials have improved and I think overall workmanship is still pretty good.

No, it seems to be proprietary with them. I am not sure why it didnt catch on. They have made others like that, the .357 Supermag comes to mind.

I also think that much beyond the .44mag there is little gained other than saying you have the biggest one.

I doubt I will go for anything exotic. A 454 Casull can use 45LC or be downloaded a little. I love 44 mags, I also have a Marlin 94 in 44, a lot of brass and molds for it too, so it is high on my list. I have had a Dan Wesson and that is one they can keep considering the cost. It looks like the two best values in used big bore revolvers are the Rugers and the Taurus so that is where I am going to look for now. If I luck into a 629 or something, all the better.

Does anyone other than Dan Wesson sell a .445SM?

I had a dream last night that I was inside a gun store, and he was going out of business so he gave me a couple of these guns :up:

I kept thinking, "How come the hammer spur is so low?"

Guest dotsun
I had a dream last night that I was inside a gun store, and he was going out of business so he gave me a couple of these guns :up:

I kept thinking, "How come the hammer spur is so low?"

Man, you've got it bad. :P

I'd get a 500 magnum, but I have no need to compensate. :up:

• 7 months later...
Guest TN.Frank

Taurus was making a 2.5" bbl 41 Mag for a while. Don't know if it's still available or not but it'd be one heck of a "belly gun" in that caliber with the proper ammo. I also like the 480 Ruger, never shot one but on paper it looks pretty decent.

I understand that Colt has not made a big bore modern style revolver since the late 1990s. What type of reputation does the Anaconda have in either .44 or .45LC? I see these on gunbroker all the time. Is it a good shooter, or just an expensive collectable?