Opinions on Remora Holsters

I've been struggling to find / decide on a holster for my SW 3913. So this remora holster and thought it was neat. Even saw a guy doing backflips while wearing it with no issues.

Anybody here have one willing to give some advice / opinion about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using a Remora for an LC9 almost daily for 5 years.  I started with the plain Remora, then I got the tuckable option.  It is nearly invisible unless you know exactly for what to look.  The reason I got the tuckable one was that the original grips so well that sometimes my shirt would pull on the holster as I moved from sitting to standing, and I would have to stick it back down.

The tuckable kind also has a snap on belt clip that can be used to position it.  I recently got a new generation Ulti clip, added my own snap at the bottom, and use the Ulti Clip to keep the holster exactly where I want it to be.  The Ulti clip hides behind a belt, mostly.  I use that configuration with a T-shirt/dress shirt combo; T-####/untucked button up shirt; and bare skin/untucked T-shirt combo.  It does get a little sweaty when directly against the skin.

I used the regular Remora for a variety of uses; it can hold my LC9 in place where loose, elastic-band gym shorts; it holds even better in beltless khakis.

I also have Remoras for an LCP (with and without the sweatshield).  In my opinion, the extra material of the sweatshield may protect the gun, but it contributes to more sweating.  An LCP in a regular Remora is invisible, and is easy to use for pocket carry (which I used in Florida).  I also have a reinforced top version for a full-size 1911.  Unlike with LC9, I don't forget it is there, but I was able to tolerate but not enjoy wearing that big of a gun IWB for a full work-day.  

One advantage of the Remora is that when using the toilet, it is easy to remove, put in a pocket, and then put back IWB with minimal fuss.

I used to use a Remora to holster a gun between the seat and the center console of our cars; I suspect it would have stayed put in a crash like the guy doing cartwheels.  Now we have a car with airbags in that area, so I have erred on the side of caution and don't do that anymore.

I sent this to the OP in a PM, but thought others might like the opinion too:

I have several and think they're great. It's all I use. One thing that I really like about it is that I can remove the gun and leave it holstered the whole time and not have to fool around with hooks, loops, velcro, etc. Like dawgdoc said, that's handy for the crapper. It works very well for small single stacks like my Kahr PM9 and Glock G43. The Kahr PM9 is my EDC but will sometimes switch to the Glock G43. I also have one for my Glock G26, but that double-stack thickness is a little much for me to do IWB comfortably. The SW 3913 is small enough to work in a Remora, but it's kind of a heavy gun for its size relative to the plastic fantastics. I think it weighs about as much as a Glock G19 which is considerably more than a Kahr PM9 or Glock G43. I don't know if that would be a problem or not. When I use a Remora with my G26 (only slightly lighter than a G19 and your SW 3913) it stays in place just fine but it has the added thickness (more pressure) from the double-stack thickness. I suspect the size of the SW 3913 would make it easy to conceal but the weight of it would let you'll still know it's there.

One of my holsters has the attached magazine pouch forward of the gun area of the holster. Like this one, but for the Kahr PM9 instead of the Sig as shown:

IWB-MAG-POUCH.jpg

This makes the holster wider (front to rear when wearing) creating more surface area. That one stays put all day long. I mean, it will shift a little bit, but never so much that I think it's going to fall down my pants or squirt out the top. This is my preferred Remora holster by far. Most of the time I have to stop and really think if I'm wearing it or not. I honestly forget it's there, but I don't know if that's due to the Remora or the lightness and size of the Kahr PM9.

You might still need to use a gun belt with its thicker leather to create a solid pressure point because of the weight of your SW 3913, but maybe you could use a regular belt. With the Kahr PM9 and Glock G43 I can use pretty much any belt I want, including soft cloth belts, because they're so light. I'm not exactly a fashionista, but I don't walk around looking like Walter from The Big Lebowski either. Most gun belts have zero fashion, so I prefer to not use them. When I occasionally carry the Glock G26, I use a Comp-Tac gun belt to stiffen things up.

A tip: I don't bother with the RFT (reinforced top) option. It's just some thin plastic in the upper half of the holster between the layers of rubbery stuff. It's supposed to make it easier to reholster, but the truth is that it cracks after a few weeks/months of regular use and just sort of makes the whole thing feel kind of weird. Even before it cracks, the Remora works by the pinching pressure of your body and your pants/belt, so it kind of crushes the RFT plastic anyway. My first one I went RFT, then switched to regular and never did RFT again. Maybe it works better for full-size guns, but I don't know.

I carried one for about 4yrs straight, just the basic non-slip pocket style but carried IWB. I ordered one for a Kel tec p32(seems a bit large)and it went everywhere then found once I got a Kahr Cm9,  it fit it much better than the p32. It never once failed, stitching and material held up and I actually still have it but not in use. I also have a plain mag holder and it works great for pocket carry. 

Edited by Jct1911
Stupid phone...

I forgot the mag holders which Jct1911 mentioned.  They seem to send them free with a lot of orders, and I have found that with a little stretching, I can fit two Lc9 magazines or two 9mm 1911 magazines side-by-side.  I use them to pocket carry the extra magazines.

Edited by dawgdoc