Selling Ammo in TN

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Quick questions.

Is it legal to sell ammo at a flea market in TN? I have seen several this weekend and they all said no.

Is their any State requirement to sell ammo in TN?

Are there any caliber restrictions?

Are there any other requirements or restrictions?

Thanks

J

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fruit jar

I've found ammo at flea markets and carport sells. Not lot maybe a half box of mixed cals. The tax act is between the state and the seller, not the buyer.

The web says (right or wrong, I do not know!)

Federal law prohibits ammunition sale or transfer to, and possession by, anyone who:

1. is under indictment for a crime punishable by more than one year imprisonment or convicted of a felony,

2. is a fugitive from justice,

3. is an unlawful user of a controlled substance,

4. is addicted to a controlled substance,

5. has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution,

6. is an illegal alien,

7. has been dishonorably discharged from the military, and

8. has renounced his or her U.S. citizenship (18 USC § 922(d) and (g)).

This one is confusing:

Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC § 922(b)(1)).

NO one, not the BAFTE or walmart or anyone else, seems to have an airtight working definition of "handgun ammo" vs "rifle ammo"  --- they all just play it by ear.  If you have a 9mm rifle,  for example, can you buy it at 18?  No one seems to know!

NO one, not the BAFTE or walmart or anyone else, seems to have an airtight working definition of "handgun ammo" vs "rifle ammo"  --- they all just play it by ear.  If you have a 9mm rifle,  for example, can you buy it at 18?  No one seems to know!

There is a list somewhere, I've seen it, think it's in a letter type ruling, not in the USC or CRF.

At any rate, suffice it to say, places like Walmart treat any common caliber known for handguns to be "handgun ammo". This includes .357mag, .38special, .25, .32, .40, .45, 9mm, 10mm, like that. .22 seems to be treated as either/both.

It's a very loosely enforced federal weapons law, mainly because how the heck could they really enforce with any degree of regularity?

- OS

Based upon what I've read others say on here, you can't sell ammo that you reloaded.

What about paying someone for their time to reload your own brass, provided you supply the bullets, primers and powder?

What about paying someone for their time to reload your own brass, provided you supply the bullets, primers and powder?

You can give someone money for any reason at any time.   You can ask a friend to make you some ammo that is OK too.  Its kinda like prostitution --- is buying a gal supper and giving her $100 bucks to spend as a gift illegal?   But you bet you can probably get into legal trouble if it comes to light and enough lawyers get involved. 

The law prevents ME from making 10000000 rounds of slapdash ammo that could blow you to kingdom come and setting up a booth at the next gun show, selling $4 a box (my cost) 9mm to suckers for $15 a box, or something.   Because handmade ammo is dangerous when you put an idiot behind the handle of a press.  That is where you will find someone getting into trouble (not to mention, selling it without a tax stamp if they try it!).  

if someone found out and raised a stink, you could get into trouble slipping your buddy $20 to make you a few boxes even with your materials and all.   If he screws up and blows up your head or your gun, your survivors or you could drag him into court and claim he sold you ammo illegally that was responsible for your injury.  Blah blah blah on all that.  Its illegal, is the bottom line, and its illegal to prevent this sort of thing --- you have to do the paperwork to sell it so you are properly liable if you screw up.  The same is true of food --- you cannot can your extra veggies from the garden and sell it without some paperwork, or you are AT RISK if the person gets sick.  

No, for several reasons.

A person would be looney to load ammo and let someone else shoot it because of the liability. And you would would be taking the risk by shooting someone else's reloads. Imagine if the gun kabooms and causes serious injury. If the reloader did not have insurance you would be out a lot of money in medical bills. Yeah you could sue but courts will not force anyone to pay anymore. That is just too much risk by both for me to handle.

Second, I am pretty sure that would be the same as selling reloaded ammo without a license.

Reloading is easy, it is not time consuming and it is cheap to get into. I have a list where someone can get everythign they need to reload for under $200. That is less than 10 boxes of ammo

Dolomite

Guest TankerHC
I pretty much have the answers cleared up. Some came right from this thread and were right, so thanks to those who replied and a few other things. After reading the thread, speaking with ATF and TN Fish and Game I went ahead and set up in __________.

Purchased my Tax Stamps over the phone from Fish and Game. Had 1000 of them in my hand the next morning.

Yea, it does require an 06 FFL to sell reloaded ammo since that is considered manufacturing.

The post above that pretty much mirrors the questions on the 4473 is of course correct, same deal. If you arent allowed to own a gun you shouldnt have the ammo in your posessiion either.

I was set up today at the ___________________. Went pretty well with two exceptions. Probably had 400 (Potential) customers, and nearly as many real customers. Pretty amazing for what the other vendors considered a slow day. Better than a gun show. Lot of gun owners came by, wouldnt doubt some are on here.

But a few things. For the person(s) who claimed they can have 1000 5.56 delivered "to the front door" for $500 (Not addressing anyone here, just generally), having purchased from the cheapest distributor in TN that I could find that even had any, here is my personal expaerience from this weekend.

First, the 5.56 I bought, cost $860 per 1000, and thats only because I bought more than 1000. So right off the bat thats 86 cents per round.
Second, the State Tax was $198 for what I bought. Some sellers have a tax exemption and can get that back from the distributor. I dont.
Now were at 95.9 cents per round, but were not done yet.
Shipping and Hazard Materials Fee. $58.
Now were at 98.8 cents per round.
Ok, a 20 round box, at the price of 98.9 cents per round comes to $19.78 per box.
Add in the tax stamp and were at $19.88 per box.
Now forget the fact that you have to eat, that doesnt count, or the fact you have to pay the guy whos helping you or that it costs gas to transport the stuff to get it there or the 234 per month location fee. None of that counts. I still dont think if you buy 5 or more boxes at a price of $21.50 is gouging. If it is, quite a few people didnt think so, only one did. Thats $1.72 per box profit, if you want to call it that since there is no profit in anything until the capital investment is paid back. And there is always room to deal. Oh and I left out one other thing, as the sign noted, that was tax included. If someone can tell me who is selling 5.56 for $500 per 1000 delivered, let me know, I sure would like to get my hands on some.

I sold 7.62x54r and have, but not with me, but will next week, 7.62x39 at $9 a box of 20. Well, one person thought that was a ripoff. Well, that person wouldnt hear me out. So I will say that Prvi Partezan non corrosive box primer JHP IS NOT the same as Bulgarian corrosive surplus. Of course I could not get the name of the person who was selling the Prvi Partezan ammo for $69 for 440 rounds, so if someone knows who it is, please tell me.

$45 for a 50 round box of 230 gr. Federal Hydra-Shok and and 50 round boxes of Hi-Shok, yes, you can get Hi Shok for around 38, but hardly no one carries it any longer so when you order, again you have to count all the other BS. And I was surprised that people preferred the Gen 2 Hi Shok over the Hydra Shok (At times). I do know the difference. I checked local pricing on Friday, no one had Hydra Shok and the guy at the gun counter at Academy on 153 told me when they do have it, its 25 bucks a box of 20

Anyway, there were 1 or two others out of seriously close to 400. I know one thing, I wont be complaining about the guys at the shows selling their ammo any longer (Yea, I was one of them), uless of course I see what I saw at the Jackson show a couple of weeks ago, loose 223 at 28 bucks for 20.

I gave up my table at the Natchez show this weekend. Decided to see what I could do with ammo up here. And it was well worth it, not for the financial part, but because 99.9999% of the people were super nice. Had some lengthy conversations with fellow gun owners, several fellow vets, and got a load of names and phone numbers and guarantees from those people that if the price is right, they will buy from me, and thats good enough for me to make sure its as right as I can make it (Without selling for a loss), the people who run the location were super nice also, they were pretty happy because no one has sold ammo or anything firearm related there in 4 years. They ran an announcement on their website, and made announcements regularly, put me in a prime location. I took not only ammo but Rifle Scopes, red dots, reflex sites, lasers, lights and a bunch of other stuff. Nothing really high end, Bushnell, Simmons, AIM Sports, BSA, that sort of thing. If I had not made a dime, the people who came there made it worth it, which just re-enforces me wanting to get the hell moved up here, cant convince the wife to leave her job right now though.

Thanks to TNGO members, I would have not known about those tax stamps, could have got my a__ in trouble. If I were to happen to run across a TNGO member who wanted something I have, I would certainly cut a deal. Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

I have bought 5.56 in the last month 20/8.99 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Of course there was a 3 box limit. It really sounds like your paying too much.

Thats a problem, any limit like that does me no good. I also havent seen it in any of the LGS's, big box stores or gun shows for less than what I bought it or was selling it for. 10 months ago you could get that 5.56 for $395 per 1000, not now. Its not happening, and if anyone can tell me where, please do, Im in the market. 

Guest TankerHC

outdoor sports fed xm193 6.36 per box

mid south shooters 6,56 per box

if anyone is charging you a haz-mat on ammo they are stealing from you

Just got off the phone with Mid South. Never had any 5.56, had some Magtek .223 and it was 9.96 per box, didnt put it up on the web because it was only sold locally and its been gone and is on backorder, like everyone else. I know there are several Mid Souths. The one I have dealt with in the past and the one I called this morning is Mid South Shooters Supply.

For .223 I can get it right now. But this same ammo is $22 per box (1.10 per round in bulk , cases of 1000). Again, add in tax, and all the rest and it comes to more than that. I wouldnt even pay that for personal use.

Ill call outdoor when they open.

I had my ammo shipped second day air. There is a $37 Hazardous Shipping Charge, its included in the Shipping. If you know how I can also not pay that fee, let me know,

EDIT: Had my account added to the backorder list (Been dealing with Mid South for a long time). Just spoke with a salesperson, Lake Cty samped 5.56 coming in today. 7.06 per box. 9.70 per box shipping, no bulk orders, backorder list is too long. Added everything up, would come to .96 per round or $19.20 per box. Thats over 100 dollars more per  two thousand than what I noted I paid above. Would probably be good for someone who wants a few boxes though. Not worth it to me, considering I can get it cheaper already.

Having thought about it, Im not even going to waste the time and effort on 5.56 (or .223) any longer. Not worth the effort to make it available. Thats not what most shooters are looking for right now anyway, I am seeing a lot of requests for .22 LR, .38, and other more common calibers, calibers I can get and sell at less than normal retail prices. I have plenty of 5.56 to take to the range. Also not worth hearing people complain over 4 or 5 cents, the same people who are willing to pay really ridiculous prices for AR's right now.

Edited by TankerHC

Quick questions.

Is it legal to sell ammo at a flea market in TN? I have seen several this weekend and they all said no.

Is their any State requirement to sell ammo in TN?

Are there any caliber restrictions?

Are there any other requirements or restrictions?

Thanks

J

no its up to the person putting on the fleamarket

yes a 10 cent tax stamp on every box

you cannot sell pistol ammo to anyone under 21 or rifle ammo to anyone under 18

if you do it at a gunshow or fleamarket you must have a tax resale permit collect sales tax and turn it in to the state

unlike in ms where the person putting on the event must collect the sales tax

you can usually get the temp. permet from the event promoter

Guest TankerHC

funny i bought some there last week got the invoice and ammo

outdoor sports is for dealers only

dont get it shipped air

how much do you want for 700 per 1000

i will be in germantown next week come pick it up save shipping

Problem was I needed it by Thursday and it was a Monday. 700 per 1000? Im headed out from Chattanooga today back to MS, Ill be in Memphis next Wednesday and will stop to pay you a visit. In fact Ill be in Chattanooga this Thursday closer to you than from Home to memphis.  PM Sent.