Greetings from Pacific Northwest

I would like to say hello to everyone on the Tennessee Gun Owners forum..     I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, my home state is Oregon, and currently live in the state of Washington.  I'm considering moving out to Tennessee and would be interested to learn more about the state, gun laws, shooting areas and just to get more folks who are into shooting sports and pro-2A minded.     I've lived most my life in the Northwest, but due to many circumstances that are very unfortunate, including the soon-to-be passing (sadly as polls state) I-594 initiative that will incriminate many gun owners in the state I feel that its time to move on.    I'm a software developer and run a small family business from home and Tennessee seems to be both gun friendly and business friendly state, with lower taxes, etc.   

I grew up in the mountains and have to say I will feel a bit homesick leaving the Northwest, but I see that Tennessee has a lot of natural beauty and would love to see the Appalachian mountains and experience all they have to offer.   I hear Tennessee is very friendly state and will be looking forward to visiting it very soon.   

I'm considering looking around the Knoxville area, but also going to look at Nashville, Chattanooga among other areas..     I'm wondering what type of shooting ranges that are accepting new members would be within close proximity to Knoxville and Nashville areas?   I like to do rifle and pistol shooting.  I'm looking for a range that doesn't have a lot of restrictions, such as forbidding draw/shoot, etc.   Also, I would like to do some longer range, like 500+ yard rifle shooting.  I am not sure how hard it is to find ranges that have long distance rifle ranges.     In the Pacific Northwest, the shooting ranges are limited West of the Cascades, but East of the Cascades (farther from me), there are more options.

I thank everyone for having me here on the forum.   

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank all of you for the welcome..

Welcome to TGO!  We moved to TN from Oregon about 15 years ago, and we'll probably move back when retirement time rolls around.

Hey JPS, I also miss my home state of Oregon very much.   I would also consider retiring there one day.  Sadly, the rising living costs, lack of jobs (in my field) and very high taxes have chased me away from my home state.  I cannot survive there working or running a business, but if you are retired and don't have to worry about the 10-11% state income tax getting you, there are many inexpensive and beautiful places to retire.  I lived in Cape Perpetua of the Oregon Coast for 4 years and have considered returning there one day, as well.   Although the Northeastern part of the state is a hidden gem as well.  

Edited by 4Freedom

Welcome. I've been to your part of the world and I'm happy to inform you that the Appalachian mountains are not only a reasonable substitute, but are in some ways infinitely superior.

And remember, we are the patron state of shooting stuff.

Edited by Raoul

I lived in the Seattle are (Port Orchard, WA) for four years while in the Navy...I thuroughly enjoyed living in that part of the country and am beyond glad that I got a chance to experience the truly beautiful areas (seeing Mt. Ranier on a clear day is a sight that is hard to describe as was seeing Mt. St. Hellens (before it blew its top!...I was living there when it erupted).

Anyway, I moved to Tennessee in late 1996 and never regretted it...I think you'll find Tennessee to be a great place to live.  The firearm laws are far from perfect but they are good and better than most states.

I want to thank everyone again for the warm welcome.

I lived in the Seattle are (Port Orchard, WA) for four years while in the Navy...I thuroughly enjoyed living in that part of the country and am beyond glad that I got a chance to experience the truly beautiful areas (seeing Mt. Ranier on a clear day is a sight that is hard to describe as was seeing Mt. St. Hellens (before it blew its top!...I was living there when it erupted).

Anyway, I moved to Tennessee in late 1996 and never regretted it...I think you'll find Tennessee to be a great place to live.  The firearm laws are far from perfect but they are good and better than most states.

Robert, I grew up in the NOrthwest and use to have a view of Mount Hood and Mount Rainier from a couple of the different places I have lived here.  I can definitely understand what you are saying.  It is really hard to even explain the awe of the beauty of Mount Rainier, Mt Adams or Hood in the sunset on a clear crisp day.     It will be something I miss so much when I leave here.         Seeing Mt St Helens blow must have been quite an experience.  I've seen pictures, but moved to Oregon when I was kid which was about 12 years or so after it blew.  I use to see it every day though.  From Larch mountain (in the Gorge) it is quite a sight.

I am currently a member of the gun range right next to the Naval Air Base on North Whidbey Island.  It's a nice a little range and a spectacular drive from the Skagit Valley.  The only downside is the rifle range has only 2 bays.  However, it's fun for pistol shooting and going through Deception Pass State Park is an experience.

No place in the USA has perfect firearm laws or lack of them.. (Maybe Alaska?)  We have a ways to go in most every state before we have a truly constitutional RKBA freedom in this country.

I am happy you have found Tennessee to be your new home and can enjoy living there, especially coming from the Pacific Northwest, like myself.

Edited by 4Freedom