TTAG on Trump Admin 2A transition team!

I think national reciprocity is one of those things that won't be as smooth as some imagine.  Too easy to challenge in court, too many people would think it's as simple as knowing the speed limit on roads for driving, when gun laws can widely vary state to state, and I can see some states trying to impose their standards on any out of state visitors (registration, further checks, training, ect.). 

The NFA stuff could be done easy.  There are at least four Democratic Senators from "red state" up for re-election in 2018 who would have a miserable campaign against them if they oppose it, so I could see them waiting until early 2018 for political effect.  I'd rather see it sooner, but politics are still in play. 

The Obama administration EO's can be done as soon as the White House Counsels office can have reversals typed up and double checked.  They just need time to sort through them and make sure they aren't making mistakes.  No issues there. 

The only questions would be about sanctions against Russia which has hit that brand of guns and ammo...that's something Congress might not be willing to play ball on.  They're not as dovish on Russia as Trump is.  Still, with the rest taken care of, that would be a minor blip in the grand scheme.

14 minutes ago, btq96r said:

The only questions would be about sanctions against Russia which has hit that brand of guns and ammo...that's something Congress might not be willing to play ball on.  ..

As I understand it, that was done by Presidential Order, yes?

Couldn't even the Chinese embargo be undone without Congressional action?

- OS

7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

As I understand it, that was done by Presidential Order, yes?

Couldn't even the Chinese embargo be undone without Congressional action?

- OS

You may be right.  I know some sanctions were EOs, and some were legislative.  In addition to the firearms ones, the Russian energy sector was targeted as well. 

17 hours ago, btq96r said:

I think national reciprocity is one of those things that won't be as smooth as some imagine.  Too easy to challenge in court, too many people would think it's as simple as knowing the speed limit on roads for driving, when gun laws can widely vary state to state, and I can see some states trying to impose their standards on any out of state visitors (registration, further checks, training, ect.). 

After the gay marriage ruling there should be no legal legs for a lawsuit. But, of course, the courts treats the, actually in the Constitution and clearly written, 2d amendment totally different than the rest of the Constitution.  I am sure states would try to impose such laws to out of state people, but I would be shocked if the NRA didn't sue as that would not be equal protection under the law. Out of state drivers in TN aren't subject to different driving laws than residents and vice-versa. Of course, the stupid courts again aren't consistent. 

4 hours ago, macville said:

Out of state drivers in TN aren't subject to different driving laws than residents and vice-versa.

Maybe not but I'd be surprised if your car, itself, wasn't manufactured to be compliant with California emissions control laws - not to mention that a lot of the federal emissions control laws likely started in California as did the Gun Control Act of 1968.  I think what people are saying - and I know I what I am saying - is that if there were national reciprocity then we would have states like California, New York, etc. insisting that New York and California type regulations be part of the federal regulations.  I can just hear them, now, "If we are going to be forced to allow gun toters from other states to carry in our state then we should at least have the protection of knowing that they are in compliance with our reasonable firearms regulations and not be forced to allow people whose states require less strenuous training or have less rigorous requirements for carry to have unrestricted access to loaded firearms, carried with them, in our state."  Further, as I have said countless times, a fedgov that can mandate that all states must allow carry, now can mandate that no state can allow carry once the antis are back in control.   I maintain that, as with most issues, we are best off keeping firearms carry as a states' rights issue and not having the fedgov invade that field.  We are all generally better off the less power the fedgov has even if they would use that power to do something we want (in the short term.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1