Suggestions for Securing Handgun During the Day

Guest C4Dave

Guest C4Dave

I'm going on a business trip next week. I can't bring my gun during the day (TVA is funny about that). I just found out that the motel does not have a safe in the room. So where do I store the gun during the day?

My car will be in a parking garage, and I don't have a lock box / safe in the vehicle. I called around to some of the local gun stores, and they don't have any in stock.

Suggestions???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going on a business trip next week. I can't bring my gun during the day (TVA is funny about that). I just found out that the motel does not have a safe in the room. So where do I store the gun during the day?

My car will be in a parking garage, and I don't have a lock box / safe in the vehicle. I called around to some of the local gun stores, and they don't have any in stock.

Suggestions???

Guess if it was me, I'd try to find hidey hole in trunk of car, or find way to attach to underside of seat so that it can't be seen but is off the floor so probing hand likely doesn't find it.

I tell ya, I have a CenterOfMass box w/cable, but I'm pretty sure that if thief wants to risk more than 3 or 4 minutes, like he might in a garage, he'd probably get into it, or certainly take whole box if he has bolt cutters or hacksaw.

- OS

I have a wire lock I got at home depot, if you google "zelco lumilock" it looks like that but mine looks a little more solid. I run the cable through the magwell and the barrel and lock it around the anchor for the seat and stick it up out of sight.

Guest clownsdd

There are a couple of hotels I stay at (many times so I trust them) that have lock boxes for valuables at the desk and don't ask what you have. I carry the smallest box my handgun will fit in and check it at the desk.

Another case of cart before horse. This is not to criticize or chastise so please don't take it that way. Before I bought guns, I bought Big, nasty, heavy gunsafe for house, pistol safe Box for Car, Gun rack for bed, etc. When you bring a gun home, you need whole bunches of other stuff to make the gun safe during other situations (grandkids, Away from home, etc.) and you really need these before you bring gun home. The cable locks sound pretty viable for a temporary fix. After you get back I think you need to get cozy with Google and find a pistol safe box for your car.

Same goes for holsters. A gun without a good well fitting holster needs to stay home. A gun is part of an overall security system and is only one part of that system.

Guest DylisTN

I travell alot. And travell armed, when i can. I leave mine in a locked suitcase in the room. Been doing this for many years and have never had a problem.

Guest HexHead
I travell alot. And travell armed, when i can. I leave mine in a locked suitcase in the room. Been doing this for many years and have never had a problem.

Put it in with the dirty clothes. The chambermaids won't go into that bag.

:tinfoil:

Guest bluecanary25

Not the best solution, but I offer it for your concideration:

Buy a gun lock, ~$10, with about 8" cable. (Got one with my shotty.)

Eject the mag, lock the trigger guard to car seat frame.

Use something to cushion gun under the seat.

Should deter smash-n-grab... :devil:

Not the best solution, but I offer it for your concideration:

Buy a gun lock, ~$10, with about 8" cable. (Got one with my shotty.)

Eject the mag, lock the trigger guard to car seat frame.

Use something to cushion gun under the seat.

Should deter smash-n-grab... :rolleyes:

Maybe the OP could just not take his handgun on this trip since he didn't prepare adequately. Problem solved.

Guest C4Dave

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I found a good place in the car to lock the gun using a cable lock and the lock that came with the gun. Now I'll be able to "rest in peace".

Guest canynracer
Maybe the OP could just not take his handgun on this trip since he didn't prepare adequately. Problem solved.

Maybe you should provide value to your posts that HELP the situation instead of trolling around making derogatory remarks. Another problem solved.

To the OP.

You could hide it near the battery compartment of your car.

While in your room, usually you can take out the bottom drawer of the dresser, and put the gun under it.

just some thoughts.

Maybe you should provide value to your posts that HELP the situation instead of trolling around making derogatory remarks. Another problem solved.

To the OP.

You could hide it near the battery compartment of your car.

While in your room, usually you can take out the bottom drawer of the dresser, and put the gun under it.

just some thoughts.

I don't see Ggun's post as a valueless post or trolling. If the OP has not left himself enough time to get the necessary items that have been suggested in this thread then his post IMO is legit.

While in my room I would have it on the nightstand. If you meant that you would leave it in your room under a drawer unsecured all I can say is "Not me". I would get the largest piece of chain that would go thru the trigger guard and a heavy duty lock and then lock it to a strong piece of metal in the trunk of the car. Most thieves are not going to be walking around with the heavy duty cutters to get thru the chain or lock and no wire cutters will get the job done. If you have speakers in the back deck of the car then let the magnet hold the gun up out of sight.

Edited by Volzfan
Guest oldhack62

A suggestion, and an advisory (not a lawyer, blah, blah, of course...):

• Remove the magazine from your gun while hidden in your car. If stolen, at least it's not immediately useful to anyone;
  • The Tennessee 'castle' law applies to your hotel/motel room. While there, you can be armed for defensive purposes.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I found a good place in the car to lock the gun using a cable lock and the lock that came with the gun. Now I'll be able to "rest in peace".

What about all the risks associated with locking up a loaded handgun in a public parking garage?

Guest bkelm18
What about all the risks associated with locking up a loaded handgun in a public parking garage?

:( I didn't see where he said it would be loaded.

+1

Guest pjblurton

I've been kicking around the idea of fabricating some type of hidden storage area in my truck for my handgun. There is a place that I go to 5 days a week that I am not allowed to carry on the premises and all vehicles are subject to search. Concequences are dire...

Hiding place would HAVE to be undetectable and accessable from the drivers seat of a full sized truck.

+1

+2

I think OP was scrambling and trying to find a solution before it was time to leave. Leaving his gun at home instead of finding an answer when he obviously wanted to be armed while on the road does not constitute a "problem solved."

what are the odds your car will be broken into? I am just saying....

If it is an auto loader, maybe strip it and take the barrel with you.

"Yes, sir, Mr. TVA anti terroist agent, I know I'm not supposed to have a weapon here in the nuclear plant, this is just the barrel."