Do you carry a back up gun?

Guest JLowe

Like most Law Enforcement Officers, I carry a back up gun or 2 while on duty. Unlike most LEOs, I carry a BUG off duty as well, just trying to ward off Mr. Murphy. So, I got to wondering, do people who carry by HCP carry BUGs and are they of the same caliber as your main gun? In most situations when off duty, my BUG does not match caliber and is considered a small caliber for stopping a person. I know that if I place my shot correctly, the round will stop a threat, but I consider my off duty BUG to be a very up close and personal gun. My main off duty gun is my on duty BUG and is in 40 caliber. I carry spare magazines for it as well. The BUG is a third gun I sometimes carry when on duty on my off side, depending on what I am doing at the time. Off duty I carry it the same way, so that if I'm injured in my strong side and cannot draw my main gun with my off hand for what ever reason, I would go to that gun. So, do you carry a BUG?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

99% of the time yes I do. On my weak side. That is kinda of a misnomer since I'm a lefty that switched to a righty a few years back due to a torn tricep. The good news is I'm now pretty much equal with either paw.

Guest Phantom6

One or two. My Seecamp is with me always as I consider it my American Express card- "I never leave home without it". A Taurus 851 snubby is lurking around the body on most days or evenings as well if I'm wearing a jacket. I always have a spare mag for the main and the seecamp and if I'm going to be out all day a Safariland off-duty speed loader pouch carries an extra ration for the 851. Three guns and 49 rounds of ammo on board.

Guest shadow12

As you already know, I carry my SeeCamp BUG everywhere. When I ride the Harley, I always carry three. My ugly old J-Frame in an ankle rig, it's easy to get to when on the bike.

Once I find a good ankle rig, I'll start carrying a real BUG again instead of the ganky 9mm derringer I've been using lately.

Really?

Tell us 'bout that - never even HEARD of a 9mm derringer. What holds the shells in, like a 2 round moon clip or something?

Got a pic?

thnx,

- OS

Guest truthsayer
Really?

Tell us 'bout that - never even HEARD of a 9mm derringer. What holds the shells in, like a 2 round moon clip or something?

Got a pic?

thnx,

- OS

derringer_bigbore.JPG

It's a Cobra just like the one above. I honestly have no idea how the "extractor" works. The cases are always .25 inches out when I open it and they're easy to extract. I have all of 14-20 rounds through it and I know it works well enough to trust it when I need it. I'll take a closer look at it when I go to my truck later.

Guest Astra900

I have a great little .25auto I will carry if I can ever find a magazine for it. Fits in the pocket easy. .25 auto is kinda pathetic, but it is a BUG for a revolver, what's the chance of needing it.

You guys only carry 3? :P Slackers.

Honestly I carry my main and I just about always have my Kel-Tec on me. I also consider my wife and her gun a BUG when she is with me. Reason is, I'm going to throw her to the floor out of the way and take her gun lol No sense in her getting shot. If I catch a round, well if I die she gets good insurance, and if I live I'm already ugly and worthless lol

Guest db99wj
You guys only carry 3? :P Slackers.

Honestly I carry my main and I just about always have my Kel-Tec on me. I also consider my wife and her gun a BUG when she is with me. Reason is, I'm going to throw her to the floor out of the way and take her gun lol No sense in her getting shot. If I catch a round, well if I die she gets good insurance, and if I live I'm already ugly and worthless lol

Just stand sideways you beanpole. They will miss there you tactical ballerina.:P

Guest mikedwood

Depending on what's going on it's G26 on the hip and Taurus 9mm snub nose in the pocket. So they both take the same ammo. I don't think they make the 9mm snubbie any more so I'm glad I have one.

Often times though if I'm working on a job where they frown on guns it's just the snubbie in the pocket.

No matter what or where the snubbie is in the pocket unless it's not lawful for me to carry there.

My CCG is my BUG. Only carry one. Really, how far do you carry out "back up"? Next ya need a HKg3 as a back up rifle to an A4.:D

Well, like any mechanical device, you gun can fail. If it does so and your in a situation where you need one, then what do you do? Its a simple question th get people thinking about how prepared they are for a violent situation. If you don't feel the need to carry a BUG, then don't. Unless you've been there and done that and know all the answers and can see the future, then don't run off at the lip for those who may want to be more prepared.

If you don't prepare for the eventuality of this world, be prepared for the next...........