Can you draw your gun with both hands?

Guest JLowe

While I'm thinking, can you draw your gun with either hand if need be? When choosing a off duty holster, one of the thing that I look for is the ability to draw it with my off hand. I believe the reasons are obvious, but if not lets look them over. First, if your injured in your strong side arm, you may not be able to get your gun into action with that hand, so you would need to get it out with your off side hand in order to address the threat. I personally carry a open top no retention IWB holster off duty and when working plain clothes. My reasoning is, no one knows that I have a gun when carrying like this, so I do not fear a gun grab like a uniform officer should. When working in uniform or on a SWAT mission, I carry a very nice Safariland holster that has great retention, but I can still draw from it with both hands and I practice doing so. Next time you strap on your gun, check and see if you can get to it with your off hand and get it out and into action. There are several different ways to do so, but try it and see for yourself and what works best for you. if you can't, I would look at a new way to carry or a new holster.

*As always, when practicing this type of training with firearms, make sure that they are unloaded and ammunition is in a different room. :death:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

Good points but being a "full figured" individual that carries owb in a retention holster, I carry a BUG that is immediately accessable off handed. Thusly, I can shoot my way to cover or concealment where I can remove my belt with my off hand and get to my main.

Guest Todd@CIS
I carry a BUG that is immediately accessable off handed. Thusly, I can shoot my way to cover or concealment where I can remove my belt with my off hand and get to my main.

+1 on duty. Back-up is in my off-hand, front pants pocket so I have a gun reachable by either hand. I laugh when cops carry both of their guns strong hand accessable only (ego, most people don't like to practice with the off-hand).

Off-duty? Usually I carry just one gun (yeah, I lose tacti-cool points) and that gun stays in the off-hand, front pants pocket for consistancy.

I just put in plenty of off-hand practice.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest db99wj

In my CTAC, I can reach across my belly with my left hand and draw my XD. I also, when I shoot, will practice a mag or two with my weak hand. Man I shake when I do that, I can hit the target, but there is not a tight group!

Guest Hyaloid
This is the best I could do attempting to draw my gun left handed:

GunDrawing.jpg

Not bad, but what is that hanging from the triggerguard? Looks kinda dirty.

I carry a Sig 239 DAO. I can reach it with the offhand and there isn't any extra stress with decocking IF I ever am in a position of a defensive shooting.

I also carry a BUG.

Good points but being a "full figured" individual that carries owb in a retention holster, I carry a BUG that is immediately accessable off handed. Thusly, I can shoot my way to cover or concealment where I can remove my belt with my off hand and get to my main.

Sorry for the ;) but what is a bug? I googled bug gun but...

Bug%20Gun2.JPG

Guest Bronker

BUG = "back-up gun"

Don't worry...we all were 'there' where we had to catch on to the tacticool lingo.

Most of the time, I have to use a 5th grader as a translator when I'm deciphering "coolness code."