Taking GF target shooting tonight...any suggestions?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

taking my gf target shooting tonight at a indoor range...probably coal creek armory. shes never shot a pistol before but has shot many rifles and shotguns before so she knows the drill fairly well.I'll be taking my Glock 19 and buttloads of ammo. Picked up target paper to use there. I will be showing her the safety drills first but Any suggestions or advice on how to make this go flawlessly and smooth without any problems?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

Most men have a hard time controlling that male ego around their girlfriend when shooting and the mission becomes "impressing the little lady."

Don't be that guy...

Guest hustle

Go over all of the safety stuff at your house or apartment first. It's hard to hear at the range. She'll be more at ease to try to learn how to use the gun when there aren't any strangers around watching her. Once she feels like she knows the gun well enough, head off to the range. Make her show you everything you showed her again when you get there. She should have a fun time. I like the glock 19. I would imagine it would fit her hands pretty well, but if she doesn't like it, offer to rent her a different gun.

Guest canynracer
Most men have a hard time controlling that male ego around their girlfriend when shooting and the mission becomes "impressing the little lady."

Don't be that guy...

+1...dont overload her with your wealth of knowledge..hehe..just give her short simple rules to go by..

also, one thing my wife, and daughters HATED was the noise, it is very loud indoors, and gets intimidating ...suggest earplugs AND the cans to go over them if she is sensitive to the noise of an indoor range... she will feel more relaxed. ORRRR, you can buy her some of her own electronic ones...I use Howard Leights, they are awesome, and the ladies in my life all have their own pairs now...you can plug your iPOD into them too...

Guest EasilyObsessed

If you have one, take out a 22lr pistol. My experience has been that most women prefer to start off with the easier guns and work their way up. 22lr guns also tend to be easier to load, so your girlfriend can load the magazines herself. Not to mention, they can shoot a thousand rounds for what a 100 count box of 9mm costs. More shooting = more fun.

Guest TargetShooter84

Thanks for the tips guys. I do not plan on being one of those "macho guys" because handling a gun is a very serious thing and should not be messed with and I want her to have a good time.

I will bring earplugs (thanks for reminding me) and I think CCA has ear mufflers and I will go over the basic stuff with her before we enter the range so there is no sudden surprises for both of us.

Glock 19 is the only gun I own right now but I will take into consideration about the 22lr....any idea what the price range roughly is for those guns?

Again, thanks for the tips and any more is welcome!

Guest TargetShooter84

Oh yeah, something I've kinda forgotten somewhat but what's the perfect stance when shooting?

Leaning forward little bit with your foot spread out (one in front of you and one behind you)?

Guest EasilyObsessed

Glock 19 is the only gun I own right now but I will take into consideration about the 22lr....any idea what the price range roughly is for those guns?

A good quality 22lr pistol can easily be purchased for under $300.

Check out the Ruger MKIII + MKII, Walther P22, Beretta Neos, SIG Trailside, S&W 22A just to name a few.

I personally have a Ruger MKIII and a Beretta Neos. The Ruger is, in my opinion, the superior gun. Neos isnt bad but I am not a fan on the trigger. The Neos is also far more picky about ammo. Pretty much wont eat anything except CCI MiniMags.

Guest truthsayer

I have the P22 and the 22a. They're both great guns to teach with, IMO. I'll also second the idea of plugs+cans. Even a .44 mag isn't awful sounding with that setup.

Guest TargetShooter84

Thanks, I'll look into the 22lr and various guns since its cheaper for fun and save my 9mm for defense use down the road.

What about the stance? What's the perfect stance when shooting?

Leaning forward little bit with your foot spread out (one in front of you and one behind you)?

I just taught my 13 yo stepson to shoot with a G19 a few months ago. Neither his mom nor his dad are gun folks, so he was really scared and shaky. His first couple of shots I stood right behind him with a hand on his shoulder to steady him- he finally relaxed a lot. Now shooting is not that big a deal to him.

My advice is to make it fun and light - no pressure, just getting familiar with the weapon. The G19 is a great beginner's choice, probably the next best thing to a 22 to start someone out with. Start with the target really close and focus the basic mechanics. Check on her grip- do your best make sure she doesn't slice her self with the slide, that can really put a damper on things.

This website has pictures of the Weaver and Isosceles stances along with some other fundamental stuff.

http://www.azccw.com/marksmanship.htm

Don't show off and don't put her down-- unless, of course, she gets turned on when you show her how studly you are at the range...

Have fun!

If possible try to make sure no other guys are shooting

anything in .357 sig on the line. She may be drawn to them.

In her own defense she won't be able to help herself. The caliber

just does something to women on a molecular level. :D

You've already gotten some really great advice on here, so

just have fun and then do something she wants to do next. :whistle:

Guest 70below

I'm sure she'll have a blast (pun intended) and there is just something really sexy about watching a woman shoot :D The advice given here is great, and I think for a beginning shooter, the stance that is correct is the one that is most comfortable for the shooter, within reason. Just make sure she had a balanced stance, and some women tend to compensate for the weight of the pistol if they are of small stature by leaning their upper body back. This makes their upper body balance the pistol extended forward. Try to prevent that as the recoil will sometimes upset their balance.

CCA has a few .22's for rent. Try before you buy. My wife LOVES her Ruger MKII bought used for under $200.

At first show her a couple basic stances, and let her do what feels comfortable. She can be coached more as she goes.

Guest db99wj

Screw all this, rent, borrow, a 44mag or a 500 and show her what kind a man you really are, let her shoot it first, she will love you for it!

Ok, seriously, double ear protection, rent a .22 for her to start, but work her up to yours. She can and will be able to handle the Glock 19, just not the first time, maybe by the end of the session. Go over the general safety rules and the mechanics of the gun before you go onto the range. Help her not lean backwards, seems like many women beginners, will arch there back, like they are getting ready to do a back bend, when they shoot.

Have fun and be nice.

Guest TargetShooter84
So...how did it go?

It went pretty good actually. CCA was little crowded and its a good thing you guys reminded me to bring an extra set of ear plugs because we ended up using those with the mufflers that CCA provided, it was really loud in there (Planning on getting a set of mufflers soon).

How she did....I talked to her some about the G19 and the basic stuff and she seemed to gotten used to it pretty quick and did a impressive job with the gun. I asked her how the gun felt in her hands and she said that it was just almost perfect fit so I was glad to know that she was comfortable with that G19.

We went through 300 rounds of 9mm in about 2 hrs and only time time the G19 got stuck is b/c the bullet casing didn't eject completely but that was quickly corrected and it worked flawlessly afterwards.

She said she really enjoyed doing that and would like to do it again at a quieter range so I'm thinking Norris Watershed will be our next range stop next time unless you locals know any good places around Knoxville area?

I'd still like to meet some locals from TGO in this area and do some rounds with for fun and make friends also.

If you don't mind going to Maryville, Gunny's isn't usually too crowded except for Saturdays. A few guys here are ORSA members. You could meet up with us sometime to shoot there.

Guest 70below

Take her to Coal Creek on Tuesday nights, its ladies night.....women shoot free and guys shoot half off. I was at Coal Creek with my buddy "SeaSlug" on here, we probably saw you and didn't realize it. It was pretty busy for a while, I was waiting on 'Slug to pic up a pistol he was having worked on, so by the time we got ready to shoot it wasn't quite as packed. I think because of all the rain lately and being a wednesday it was a bit busier than normal. We were there from about 5-7:15 or so. If you heard someone shooting a .44 Desert Eagle that was us....lol. That thing is WICKED. I don't know how I made it all these years without one.

Guest TargetShooter84
Take her to Coal Creek on Tuesday nights, its ladies night.....women shoot free and guys shoot half off. I was at Coal Creek with my buddy "SeaSlug" on here, we probably saw you and didn't realize it. It was pretty busy for a while, I was waiting on 'Slug to pic up a pistol he was having worked on, so by the time we got ready to shoot it wasn't quite as packed. I think because of all the rain lately and being a wednesday it was a bit busier than normal. We were there from about 5-7:15 or so. If you heard someone shooting a .44 Desert Eagle that was us....lol. That thing is WICKED. I don't know how I made it all these years without one.

Its very possible you saw us. We were there from 4pm to close to around 6pm. I was in black Northface Jacket with Husquarva cap and my gf was wearing a jacket and was short. We often took turns reloading the ammo on magazines while one of us shot. I think we did hear that .44 shoot....It was really loud at times in there haha. We were on the far right, 2nd to last lane if this helps....

Guest rockbottom12

I went to gunnys yesterday and spent 2 hours. My fiance bought her a smith 22a, and I shot my ruger p95. It was alot of fun. Gunnys wasn't very crowded at all but it stayed busy with people coming in and out.

Guest Hyaloid
Take her to Coal Creek on Tuesday nights, its ladies night.....women shoot free and guys shoot half off.....

I'm sorry, but that made me giggle. :P

Guest TargetShooter84
I went to gunnys yesterday and spent 2 hours. My fiance bought her a smith 22a, and I shot my ruger p95. It was alot of fun. Gunnys wasn't very crowded at all but it stayed busy with people coming in and out.

I've heard about this place, Gunny's. I've also heard that it was more expensive than CCA?

I haven't had the time to look at the website yet.